The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
clean but clear distortion??
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

clean but clear distortion??

OK,

I\'ve been spending lot of time recently messing with distortion, on everything just to see what kind of cool effects I can achieve. I\'ve Been using Trash a lot and the distortion I\'m getting out of it is deeper and less subtle...

I\'m looking for an effect more like this one

YouTube - "Necromancer" - Gnarls Barkley

subtle but very obvious if you see what I mean...

Any plug in suggestions, or suggestions in any way?

Thanks

Lorenzo
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

*cough* *cough* *BUMP*
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Try using parallel distortion. Send an aux from your vocal to an aux track with the distortion insert on the aux track. Blend the dry signal with the effected aux track to whatever degree you want.
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

I second the parallel distortion advice. You can do it with trash I think.

On one hand, the idea of clear and distorted doesn't make sense at all, but on the other, I know what you're refering to. I tend to think of this sound as resembling something like a JCM800 pushed just barely into that sweet spot.
Old 4th March 2011
Try the new RA plugin...might get you what you're looking for?
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

I\'m just really wary of the guitary amp sounding distortion, i want something that sounds more like the above..... how would you go about maing that with trash?
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear
You definitely have to try out the Soundtoys Native bundle...everything you want
it can do.
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

On the way in........

........I like to mic up my modded Peavey C30 on the clean channel with some very judicious pedal application.
Old 5th March 2011
There are hundreds of ways of getting a similar distortion effect. That vocal seems like a fairly typical 'telephone' type vocal, so a lot of the 'clarity' that I think you are looking for comes from the band passing. Intelligibility of vocals lies in that 1k to 3k range.

There is a big difference between eq'ing a distorted sound, or distorting an eq'd sound. Guitarists know that you can get very different effects by inserting the eq before a distortion pedal, or after it. Low frequencies contain a lot of energy, and tend to distort before the high frequencies - and in the process of distorting, the low frequencies gain extra harmonics. If you want to remove mud from a distorted sound, try high passing before the distortion stage. A lot of the great classic rock guitarists exploited this effect by using treble boosters or wah pedals etc before their tube amps.

Of course there is plenty of shaping that can be achieved after the amp. The speaker cab choice, mic choice and subsequent eq at mix are all significant too.

The location of compression within the signal chain is another variable too. There is a big difference between compressing a distorted signal, or distorting a compressed signal. (Just as there is a big difference between eq'ing a compressed signal, or compressing an eq'd signal).

Rather than seeking a magic plugin that gives you what you want to hear, I think you should experiment with what you already have, as the variables at your disposal are huge.

There are so many ways to get these types of sounds - I don't believe there is any "correct" gear or plugin to use, just the correct use of the gear or plugins that you may already have.
Old 6th March 2011
Gear Maniac

ok, I have been experimenting for 2 days, I\'m sorry I just can\'t seem to get it.. maybe its because of my ignorance... Can anyone suggest settings that might lead to an effect like this?

Thanks and sorry
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by folb695 View Post
Can anyone suggest settings that might lead to an effect like this?
Let us know what gear you have, software and hardware. What DAW do you use?
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Clean distortion?
Old 6th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Let us know what gear you have, software and hardware. What DAW do you use?

I\'m a logic pro 9 user. I have trash and decapitator. If you have any suggestions I will investigate?

Thanks for the help you look like your about to bestow hahaha
Old 6th March 2011
Gear Maniac

please....
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Addict

decapitator or la2a
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Maniac

la2a? I looked it up and couldn\'t find it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search