The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Suggestions For Upgrading Vox Mic & Mic Pre
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Head

Need Suggestions For Upgrading Vox Mic & Mic Pre

Hi,

First post here though I have lurked for some time now. Hopefully this is the right forum to post this.

I am slowly attempting to build a reasonable home studio and my next purchases are going to be a good vocal mic and preamp. My recording room is very small and not ideal but the place is rented and I need to make the best of it.

I am using an M-box 2/PT LE 8 for now on a MacBook Pro. I need a good mic for acoustic guitars and my vocals. My voice is a throaty, deep baritone singing in tenor range most of the time. I am trying to find a good mic to add a little air while keeping the warmth.

My top choices within my budget right now are:

Shure KSM44/SM7B
AT 40 Series
AKG C414 (used)

What kind of preamp should I be looking at? I want something versatile enough to run guitars, direct bass, and vocals through. I’m looking for something under $500 if possible. A (used) UA solo 610 is high on my list

Total I would like to spend on a mic and preamp is about $1K, which might mean I will have to buy used, depending on what I choose.

Thanks

-DD
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Head

so no suggestions for the n00b?
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Maniac

RØDE Microphones - Our microphones

Take a look at some Rode mics, I have been very happy with them

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search