The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Device that restrics MIDI note range?
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Nut

Device that restrics MIDI note range?

Ok here's the problem:

I have a Roland keyboard that is used as a basic piano patch, with the stereo out from the keyboard used.

I'm wanting to add a lower "sub" bass to the patch using a DSI MoPho receiving the MIDI In from the keyboard.

Everything would be great if I could somehow restrict the range of the incoming MIDI, so only low notes were sent to the MoPho, with low note priority.

The effect would be that the low notes would have a thunderous sub bass added, but piano runs or chords using the right hand would not accidentally trigger high synth bass notes from the MoPho.

This is for a live show, so computers are out of the question.
Also - programming the Roland as a "split" patch with a bass patch is out of the question...the MoPho would be much preferred sound-wise.

Is there a small device that anyone knows about that goes between the keyboard and MoPho, that can be used to select the range of outgoing MIDI notes (and perhaps other MIDI parameters).

I figured this was the place to ask...any other creative solutions are welcome!
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

If your Roland is capable of simultaneous split/layer you could set the layer channel to only play the internal piano on MIDI channel 1 and the split channel to play external MIDI channel 2 with a cut off point of where you want the bass to quit - no output assigned to the other half of the split.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search