The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase - special routing question
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Cubase - special routing question

Im using Cubase and I've got a detailed routing question:

For instance, I use a delay, roomverb, compressor in the same order as inserts. Now, I only want to send the delay signal to a new reverb. This what we usually do with aux sends. But my problem is that the whole signal chain (delay, roomverb and compressor) will be send/effected with the new reverb.
Is there a possiblity allows me to hold the signal insert chain (delay, roomverb, compressor) during to send only the delay to an aux send?

Thanks for help!
Cheers
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

No, unfortunately you can´t, there are no routing options for this... which would be great to have
create a new audio track and paste the material there, only activate the plugin inserts you like to and send this to your reverb/xyz with aux
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
No, unfortunately you can´t, there are no routing options for this... which would be great to have
create a new audio track and paste the material there, only activate the plugin inserts you like to and send this to your reverb/xyz with aux
But in this case I will have 2 delays. u know?

first track insert: delay, verb, comp
second track insert: delay->aux send

The problem is that I must hold the first signal chain.

Or isnt it a problem putting the SAME delay on a second track?
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

no, there is no porblem imo

Last edited by Flying_Dutchman; 4th March 2011 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Addict

It's far more easy and proper to use time domain prossecing (delay, reverb, modulation etc) through aux buses for lots of reasons.....in your case it would make your task pretty easy to achieve.

However the advice from Dutchman can work as well....duplicate the track remove the plugs you don't want , make the aux send prefader and turn the fader of the duplicated track to minus infinity (and maybe make the dlay wet/dry ratio completely wet if that's what you're after)....that way you'll only send the delay line (the exact same you'already used in the first place) to the reverb you want.....complicated and time wasting but it will work.

If you want my opinion....learn to use the best out of the routing capabilities of your DAW and get used to design your needs before bulding complex channel strips through inserts alone....

Inserts, aux buses and groups are your best mixing buddy
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodemos View Post
It's far more easy and proper to use time domain prossecing (delay, reverb, modulation etc) through aux buses for lots of reasons.....in your case it would make your task pretty easy to achieve.
At first thumbsup both of you.

Niko, could you please explain how to handle this exactly responding to my example? I dont get it. I think what you mentioned as a pretty time wasting way is the easiest way I know. But please help me learning the more easier and efficient way you said above.
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Addict

In cubase do you have the ability to not run the second copied track to the stereo out, but instead have no bus, and still send it to an aux track. That way you are only using one delay, but sending just the delay to the aux reverb without double the delay signal?
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguitar View Post
In cubase do you have the ability to not run the second copied track to the stereo out, but instead have no bus, and still send it to an aux track. That way you are only using one delay, but sending just the delay to the aux reverb without double the delay signal?
...good point...this will save you from all the "pre fader", fader to minus infinity stuff...thumbsup

Quote:
Niko, could you please explain how to handle this exactly responding to my example? I dont get it. I think what you mentioned as a pretty time wasting way is the easiest way I know. But please help me learning the more easier and efficient way you said above.
When you use time domain effects through aux buses it's far more easy to make complex routing and busing as they appear as normal audio channels with their own aux sends, insterts, group and mix busing etc etc

In your example if you used your delay plug through an aux bus then all you'd had to do was use an aux bus on your delay return channel to feed the reverb plug...

Some other facts....

Time domain effects are much more easier to use through aux buses than inserted because:

- You can ballance the wet/dry mix much easier
- You can route multiple instrumentsor channels to the same plug (let's say a reverb) instead of openingmultiple inserted iinstanses ofthe same plug. You should understandthat one of the more interesting thingsin using reverbs and time domain effects isthe way the various routed through theminstruments interact with each other and with the prossecing itself.
- Youcan easily adjust the freq responce of the prossecor as it is actually a normal audio channel with eq
- You can further prosses the effect trhough other plugs inserted to it's return channel (Another interesting thing to experiment about....adding modulation or delaying a reverb etc etc)
- It's far eaysier to automate the effects
-It's far easire to control and automate the amount of the signal send to the prossecor and espessially to create more complex analogies through pre fade sends etc

Hope my poor english will make sense....
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Oh, i feel to get this.
Hm, let me explain.
First I create an aux bus. Then I will send the first track (roomverb,compressor) to aux bus (on second place) and on the other side I will send the copied track with only delay to the aux bus (on first place). but isn it the same procedure? In this case the reverb delay from second track will be also compressed.

I think I need one concrete example how to route.

Thanks so far
Old 4th March 2011
Here for the gear

Create your track - 'track1'

You need send your delay of 'track1' to an aux..put an insert reverb on that aux as well. then output that aux to a Group - 'Group1'.

Then aux send track1 to a reverb ... output that reverb to group1.

put a compressor on group1
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

You need send your delay of 'track1' to an aux..put an insert reverb on that aux as well. then output that aux to a Group - 'Group1'.

Then aux send track1 to a reverb ... output that reverb to group1.

put a compressor on group1
Thank you for help. But the compressor on group1 will compress the whole signal. And for me I dont want to have compressed the reverb from the delay.
hmmm...crazy
Old 4th March 2011
Here for the gear

Then send to another reverb from the delay fxtrack, (instead of placing that reverb in the delay fxtrack)
Old 4th March 2011
Here for the gear

double post
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

cubase studio cannot route the aux to an group. I'm trying it at present.
Old 4th March 2011
Here for the gear

Use a group track instead of an fxtrack then. (works exactly the same) ie. you can send to group tracks
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

You need send your delay of 'track1' to an aux
Do you mean send or should I connect the output on this channel to the aux?

EDIT:

But I cannot send from aux to grouptrack/ no output possibility
Old 4th March 2011
Here for the gear

damn.. really?

Must be the cubase studio routing restrictions.. Cubase4 upwards can do it.

Can you send from group track to group track? if so you could replace all the aux's with groups.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search