The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor decisions...
Old 4th March 2011
Monitor decisions...

I'm setting up my new studio currently, and I have to make a decision with what monitors to use.

I have JBL 4326's, and NS-10m's (not the studio ones)+a sub. The big question is - do I use the JBL's, the NS-10m's, both, or something else?

First, I'm not an engineer - I'm just a musician who tries to make his mixes sound decent across all systems.

I've been using the JBL's for a year now, but I wanted to move to NS-10m's because I've mixed on them a few times now and while I'm not at all an engineer, things turned out better on the NS-10's. However, the NS-10's were in a well treated room, and the JBL's were in a terribly treated room.

Now, if I do use the NS-10m's (which are not the studio ones - worth selling and getting studios?), I will need a power amp. Probably a monitor controller too, since hooking a power amp -> powered sub -> ns-10m's sounded absolutely terribly. Muddy low end on the NS-10's.

Last option: go buy different monitors?
Old 7th March 2011
Anyone?
Old 7th March 2011
LX3
Lives for gear

My main reaction to this one is that the room is a much bigger influence on the sound of a pair of monitors than most people realise.

The best monitors on earth will sound like junk in a bad room. Middle-of-the-road monitors can sound fantastic in a good room.

My concept of a good or bad room includes not only bass trapping and other treatment, but also how the monitors are positioned, what they're placed on, what other bits of kit or furniture might be in the way (e.g. monitors on a ringy shelf only a foot above a mixing desk, or firing into the back of LCD monitors, etc)

I don't know the JBLs you mention (don't run across a lot of JBL over here), but definitely hang on to the NS10s you have if they're in good condition. Although NS10s aren't exactly accurate, once you're used to them, it's very possible to do good mixes on them. Strange speakers. They don't sound good. But they're great.

Not sure I'd bother using a sub with the NS10s. Get them sounding useful without one first.

Two pairs of monitors are always better than one if you can fit them in the room, and have a way of switching between them.

Monitor controllers are good, especially if your DAW doesn't have a proper monitor-control section. You'll be glad you have one the day your DAW or interface freaks and goes into full-scale oscillation...

Anyway, my recommendation would be to get your room sounding as good as you can first, and only then start worrying about whether you've got the right monitors.
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Diffidently consider KRK Systems - Monitors, subwoofers, speakers, monitoring applications, room correction technology

KRKs are actually reasonably price, it's true that room treatment is essential but your question is regarding monitors, I have a pair of rokit8's, excellent!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search