The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adding distortion to drums
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Adding distortion to drums

I'm working a pop song that I'd like dirty up a bit. I'm thinking of adding some distortion/grit to the drums a la "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars. What do you suppose I can try to achieve something tasteful? Thanks in advance!
Old 4th March 2011
1. Culture Vulture

2. Distressors

3. Decapitator
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

4. superimpose vinyl noise + decimort
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Decapitator is dist-tastic on drums!
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

what about software?

I've been using psp vintage warmer with the drive way up, but I feel like there could be something better.
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Parallel distortion with basically any plugin that delivers over driven/saturated/distorted sounds. Fun stuff, automate to taste.
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Addict

To be honest, I find Digidesign Lo-Fi usually good for grittying up drums if you are working in PT... Ignore all the sliders except for distortion and it can be pretty chunky sounding.
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Addict

I own both distressors and culture vulture and they work great in adding some "dirt" to percussive material....distressors are more on the adding harmonic distortion in a gentle musical eay but combined with some 1176 style setting cone do a really great job...the CV on the other hand can do lots of different things: from adding gentle harmonics to completely smash the input....it's a great , great box for the job....

I also found and bought a very cheapo valve drive unit by RSP which is a one trick pony but it can be very usefull in adding a bit of tube sizzle and harmonics....not very gently though....but i guess you can find it for pennies now days.

However i think you should try reamping the drum kit through a nice tuba guitar amp and try breaking it up, mixing the result in parallel.....much more space and nice smooth colouring from the limited bandwidth cabinet speakers
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Head

+ 1 to parallel distortion.

I really like the URS Saturation for some gentle dirt and the Decapitator for more drastic results.
Old 4th March 2011
Try all your guitar amp and stomp box plugs - you never know what is going to sound best until you try it. I love PSP Mix Saturator for general saturation stuff - I think it's much better than Vintage Warmer. (I love the compressor in VW - but I keep it clean, and use other saturation fx).

The Classic Sansamp has been used on drums on some stuff I adore (e.g. Tchad Blake with Crowded House). I have a bunch of Sansamp pedals for fooling around with - they are all different, and all useful. I don't have the plugin version, but I expect it would be good - but probably not quite as nice as real analog.

But my point is that the Sansamp stuff is pretty much trying to be a guitar amp model - so play with whatever guitar amp models you have.
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Camel Crusher is great for that, and it is free.

I also liked that free SSL talkback plug in, but I don't know if it is still available.

Ken
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
To be honest, I find Digidesign Lo-Fi usually good for grittying up drums if you are working in PT...
+1 thumbsup

I like Massey Tapehead as well. Check out my video below. I used both tapehead and lofi to add a little bit of warmth and "grit" to the drums in this production. Very subtle, but it helped a bunch.

YouTube - Folgers Jingle Contest Entry 2011- Seth Brand
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
Parallel distortion with basically any plugin that delivers over driven/saturated/distorted sounds. Fun stuff, automate to taste.
yes indeed. along with the free SSL talkback comp that was mentioned.
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Camel Crusher does some cool stuff - but can get over-the-top quickly.. AcmeBarGig SHRED does some cool stuff to drums.
Old 4th March 2011
member no 666

Reamp the drum sounds through a guitar amp or two - crank it, mic it... blend to taste... or add "distortion" through a box. There are a thousand different restaurants - it really depends on what in your in the mood for, and how much time you want to invest [do you want to grab a burger and run, or sit down with a bottle of wine].

Best of luck with it!!!
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Reamp the drum sounds through a guitar amp or two - crank it, mic it... blend to taste... or add "distortion" through a box. There are a thousand different restaurants - it really depends on what in your in the mood for, and how much time you want to invest [do you want to grab a burger and run, or sit down with a bottle of wine].

Best of luck with it!!!
hehhehheh Love it! Can I have a Quarterpounder Lovetone with Big cheese please.....actually scratch that, gimme a bottle of 97 Sherman and a soft chair!
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelDoc View Post
1. Culture Vulture

2. Distressors

3. Decapitator
Duh! Decapitator! Great tool!

Thanks for all the replies thumbsup
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

I love compression to get drums sounding dirty with the bass and guitars. There are so many choices in the path. On room mics or overheads insert or parallel. On the drum bus that has a send to a room impulse. Its all so cool. I like a squishy swirling thing happening with the cymbels and a dirty crunch guitar bed underneath. Gotta love the dirt!heh
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Lately I've been diggin an old (and cheap) Shure SE-30 blended to taste with the drums (it can be nasty). Altecs 1612A also work well sometimes!
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best of luck with it!!!

A snare through a 2-channel dual rectifier, orange channel with gain around 11:00 sounds amazing.
Old 4th March 2011
Quote:

Best of luck with it!!!
This is so true. I was mixing a record at a studio where Chad Blake had just finished tracking an album...this is many years ago...not only did i get hipped to the old analog stomp box amp sim from (crap i can't remember the name of the company, it had little dip switches on it) the producer told me he used that on everything from snares to vocals, and he also had a whole amp and speaker setup in the live room that he would send tracks out to and back. Fletcher do you remember the box i'm talking about?? I had one but it fried out on me, was a sad day...because they stopped making them.
Old 4th March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
This is so true. I was mixing a record at a studio where Chad Blake had just finished tracking an album...this is many years ago...not only did i get hipped to the old analog stomp box amp sim from (crap i can't remember the name of the company, it had little dip switches on it) the producer told me he used that on everything from snares to vocals, and he also had a whole amp and speaker setup in the live room that he would send tracks out to and back. Fletcher do you remember the box i'm talking about?? I had one but it fried out on me, was a sad day...because they stopped making them.
I googled it, it was the original Tech 21 sans amp stomp box, the one on the left. That thing ruled for snares, bass, and vocals.

Tech 21 Sans Amp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search