The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How long before high end 2 ch AD/DA for iPad? Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

How long before high end 2 ch AD/DA for iPad?

I must admit I'm smitten with the iPad 2 like most others. I saw the Apogee Jam and Garageband App. It seems its only a matter of time before someone puts a nice converter on the end of an iPad connector.

Who's it going to be? Apogee seems the obvious, like a stripped down duet...oooooooh!

But what about you Mytek? What about you Metric Halo? What about you SSL, Prism, and Lavry?

Mobile is the future and hip gets the chics.

Bashers, please, we know you are not interested in the iPad. Please do not waste your time or blood pressure on these threads.

Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

I heard about the JAM and was disappointed that it was just a 1/4" guitar interface - though I'm sure it does that job perfectly well (for 100 bones it would want to). If it had an XLR-1/4" combo input, phantom power and stereo out for monitoring, then it would be a no brainer. Really, Apogee need to make a ONE-style interface work with the iPad; you'd think with their close association with Apple they'd be able to get any special drivers, etc. required burned into the next iOS update. Apparently the MiniMe

The thing that would really kick arse though is a proper 4+ XLR input interface - something that would turn an iPad into a four-track/hardware mini DAW replacement. Whether the iPad has enough horsepower and data throughput to record 4 tracks of 24/44.1 audio remains to be seen... it can certainly play back a lot of tracks at once. Given iOS's OSX origins you would think it wouldn't be hard to add "proper" CoreAudio functionality and support multiple audio ins and outs (to a certain point anyway) without requiring drivers, etc.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

The sooner this happens the better! Then the iPad can be looked at a bit more seriously by the rest of the music industry! When that happens there wil be TONS of accessories and great apps! Oh wait... Already a reality! It just keeps getting better and better!
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Doesn't the os only run at 16 bit 44.1 though? I don't see why anyone would want a great converter/interface for that thing if thats the case (which I'm pretty sure it is).
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
The sooner this happens the better! Then the iPad can be looked at a bit more seriously by the rest of the music industry! When that happens there wil be TONS of accessories and great apps! Oh wait... Already a reality! It just keeps getting better and better!
Speaking of which, will the Apogee device work with amplitube on ios?
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

yes indeed thermos, if 16 bit is the max then my giddy excitement and dreams have come to a quick end.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkster View Post
yes indeed thermos, if 16 bit is the max then my giddy excitement and dreams have come to a quick end.
I did read somewhere though that apple was considering changing that at some point. But I guess they would have advertised as such if it were included in the new ipad.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

interesting....

I assume that means that the iPad is incapable of playing back the 24 bit files that they are supposedly going to start selling on itunes?
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear
I hear Behringer is designing one
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

It's 24 bit 44.1
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
It's 24 bit 44.1
Which one, the new ipad? Don't see that anywhere. Would be cool if it where though.
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Head

Except the current ipad is severely underpowered in both processor power and ram.....(though it's flash based, so the write speed should be excellent) Also, it's only got that one 20 pin data port. Could that handle more than one track of audio? that remains to be seen. I think that would ultimately be it's downfall, as that would mean you could choose between charging the device, and recording with it :P (Which brings up another question, how quickly would the battery fry when subjected to that kind of abuse?)
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

yay 24 bit!

I can go back to dreaming!
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Well the apogee device is 24 bit but I'll have to check on the ipad...

Who cares anyway?? This is a great sketchpad for songwriting! If I want to do anything serious i'm not going to use an iPad.
Old 18th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkster View Post
I saw the Apogee Jam and Garageband App.
Reactable. Reactable. Reactable.

Reactable.

‪Reactable mobile - Tutorial #1: Interaction‬‏ - YouTube
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search