The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
adding color with multiple pres
Old 1st March 2011
Gear Nut

adding color with multiple pres

hello all. I'm sure this is a silly question, but why not ask? Do people ever run through multiple pres in a signal chain to add color? For example
guitar > api 3124 (ch1) > patchbay > api 3124 (ch2) > converter > daw? I'm asking because I don't have any outboard gear yet for analog color, just a few nice pres. Also, is there any harm in doing this? Or is there a better way?

Thanks so much
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear Nut

anyone?
Old 2nd March 2011
Here for the gear

Hi, this isn't exactly recommended since you generate impedance mismatches in your chain. If you really want to insist in the idea, you should go for a preamp with a line input as the second pre.
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Yes but by using two mics.

I ran a Soundelux U95 thru an api 312 and also ran a Church mic thru a Neve 1272. It was for a vocal track. We then mixed in 60/40 the U95 to the Church. It was the best sounding vocal take I ever had.

We also had a CL1A compress one of the tracks and I believe an LA2A on the other. Both very light compression.

Next time I would like to take it a step further and also run a 44bx thru a V76 thru a Bricasti for the verb part of the vocal.

I often use a similar approach when recording electric guitar. Using three different amps. I never have to use EQ in the mix just adjust the faders for the amps to change the sound. I use a Pro Jr, 58 Deluxe and 59 Bassman 4/10. Church mic on the Bassman and a 57 on the Jr. I might mix it up on the Deluxe maybe a 67 or 57 or whatever works.

note: in either case you have to be keen on the phase.
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerVF View Post
Hi, this isn't exactly recommended since you generate impedance mismatches in your chain. If you really want to insist in the idea, you should go for a preamp with a line input as the second pre.
The impedance mismatch isn't a problem, it's the fact that the output of a pre is at line level, and the next pre is expecting mic level, so you'd need a 50dB or so pad to do this. Unless you want that "Revolution" sound, of course, and want to clip the dickens out of the second pre.

You'll get color, alright. Each preamp has noise due to its gain, and all that will build up. Not sure why you'd want that when you can just add noise, or use a pad before the first pre and crank up the gain and get your noise that way.

Is this an experiment, or is there a specific "color" you're trying for?
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Head

Avedis Audio MA5

Scroll down to the FAQs and check out their LINE PAD Z.

I don't know what the result will be but if you want to run line level signal into a preamp, the LINE PAD Z is a good tool to do so, it was designed for that purpose.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, you can daisy chain pres for color.

There is no harm in doing this.

Personally, I only do this if i want some gnarly distortion.
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpierrelucx View Post
Avedis Audio MA5

Scroll down to the FAQs and check out their LINE PAD Z.

I don't know what the result will be but if you want to run line level signal into a preamp, the LINE PAD Z is a good tool to do so, it was designed for that purpose.
So how does this differ from your basic DI? Sounds like it's just a Line to Mic Level converter.
I do something similar with my final stereo mixes in order to fatten them up and add some desirable color (results will vary depending on the pre, of coarse. And use Mogami cables if you can). I come out of my interface, into a Radial Pro D2 stereo DI, into a stereo pre, and back into the interface.

It looks something like this:
002R Outs > Radial ProD2 Ins
Radial ProD2 Outs > BLA Auteur ch 1&2
BLA Auteur Outs > 002R Line Ins
Then export the new stereo track instead of Bounce To Disk
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Dudes.

I used to do this often to get more harmonic distortion into the sound. I think I need tape but i'll likely never get there.. in any case....

If at all possible, do this in mixing, this will allow you to perform emphasis/de-emphasis. You would want to do a shelf cut of the low end below 200hzish when you are going through the 2nd pre and restore those lows after the preamp pass.

Reason being your low end turns to mush if you hit too many circuits too hard.

There is good news. If you use a technique like this you can get killer saturated mids and highs without mucking up the lows. Takes some practice, but it can sound great.

Another option is to do this to a parallel track and smash the parallel track through the pre blending in the signal. Same applies though. I've just gotten in the habit of low cutting parallel tracks and restoring whatever is needed later. Loading a preamp or comp with less low end is often just the way you want to hear the result anyway.

Russell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search