The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First high end Vocal chain,UAD2 software?,headphones or NS10s..
Old 28th February 2011
Here for the gear

First high end Vocal chain,UAD2 software?,headphones or NS10s..

Hello everybody

would be awsome to get some insight here from some gurus..

Im looking at getting my first high end Vocal microphone and preamp,im thinking about the Wagner U47 and the Neve 1073,i want a chain that will be good across several styles(soul,rock,pop,alternative) and vocal ranges/ timbres... as im starting to record,produce and mix demo EPs for local artists and myself,was wondering who thinks this is a good choice? what else could i go for?

Also if i go with a Wagner U47 is it possible and has anyone ever run it from an XLR to 1/4inch jack straight into a RME fireface 400 to bypassing the RMEs preamps into the seqeuncer and use the UAD2 neve 1073 preamp plug in as the preamp? has anyone used a software preamp on a high end Mic or would i be better off to by the hardware NEVE 1073 preamp?......

What are some other preamps that sound great with the wagner U 47 or some other awesome vocal chains suited to the pop rock etc etc?

Any thoughts on the UAD2 software emulations...is it worth the money, my aim is to record and mix high quality demo EPs im looking at getting it aswell...

Am i better off buying Yamaha NS10s or Hd 650 headphones to mix the Eps in a small box room without acoustic treatment....?

there is a alot to answer i know but this is my current situation ive been researching for a while, would love to hear any and all thoughts on how to best take the next step....

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd May 2011
Here for the gear

A U47 -> 1073 combo is an excellent start to a high-end vocal chain. However, the RME interface is going to be, by far, the weakest link in your chain. If you're going to drop that kind of coin on a mic and preamp, then you need i/o to match that kind of quality. Go with a nice A/D converter like Apogee, Mytek, or Lavry. Otherwise, it's going to be like driving your car down a dirt road right after you wash it!
For monitoring, always always always mix with speakers! Never headphones. NS-10s are better than mixing with cans. You should really have some kind of acoustic treatment, even if it's ugly. Place the NS-10s closer to you (away from walls) to minimize the sound of the room.
Old 23rd May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by codystockton View Post
However, the RME interface is going to be, by far, the weakest link in your chain.

With a 47 style LDC in play, the weakest link by far is the untreated small box room he'll be recording in. The sound of that room is the sound he'll be recording, and no high end chain on the planet will matter if the source is beat.

OP, if you don't have some kind of halfway decent space to track in, your money is going to be seriously wasted. Better off with an sm7 up close, you'll still get all the emotion but you won't be perpetually fighting a boxy, smeared, claustrophobic tone.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 31st May 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the responce,Ive decided against the microphones at the moment going to spend money on a New Mac pro 8core,Apogee Symphony system I/O,NS10's,Focal twins,avantones,UAD quad flexi and some Outboard compressors and some room treatment.
Im doing Electronic,Urban,Dance, Pop, in the box so im looking at getting some outboards to bring Character,warmth etc to the Bass,Drums any recommendations compression wise?? im really liking the Chandler compressors with the 2-5% THD and a UBK fatso and 2-1176 any thoughts....?
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Addict

If you're looking at the uad-2 quad, have a look at the 6176 deal where they throw in the quad Current UA Promotions
Old 31st May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfossil View Post
Im doing Electronic,Urban,Dance, Pop, in the box so im looking at getting some outboards to bring Character,warmth etc to the Bass,Drums any recommendations compression wise??

I'd get a dbx in there, even one of the cheap vintage ones with unbalanced connections and one control. dbx's do something very cool to kicks and snares, they can add a lot of dry 'thud'.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 1st June 2011
Here for the gear

Awsome, thanks for the recommendations!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search