The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
neve eq vs ssl eq Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

neve eq vs ssl eq

im thinking about getting out the box a little with some hardware im stuck between api , ssl , neve any points ?
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

3 entirely different sounds. You are going to have to test run then and see which one works for u.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

i understand that but what sound does each give whats the diffrence to you
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Three different flavors indeed, even within themselves. For example the a big difference between the SSL g and e series eq's is the upper mids.
You really need to play with them to appreciate what each does well. The coveted Neve 10 series have a handful of frequencies to choose from with set Q's (for the most part). Neve's ability to select these parameters are a good reason many people like these units because there isn't too much room to screw up. The API's follow along in the same vain of thinking but do so in a distinctly different flavor and sometimes with even fewer options to fiddle with. Don't assume less options is bad. These units are famous for a reason... or several reasons actually. The SSL is entirely more flexible. They have adjustments for just about every parameter needed for eq. This can be very helpful, that is if you know what you're doing to begin with. This also allows you to eq your tracks beyond recognition and possibly into a corner that may take some time to get out of. If you're just getting into outboard eq, my last choice would be the SSL due to lack of character and little mojo in comparison to the other two options.
JJ
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

thanks , for hiphop an r&b which pre/eq/comp/ would u recommend for a first peice ? and how do u feel about the Universal Audio 2-1176 ,maybe on the bus mix
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

I have hands on experience for you since in my A room we have an SSL, a couple of vintage 1073's, vintage Helios type69's, and in our B room we bought the new API "the channel strip" (I think it is called).

The SSL EQ is extremely powerful, HPF/LPF, shelving, bell, Q, 4 bands etc etc. The Neve is less flexible but is a fantastic tone shaper and really sounds good, but not a clinical EQ like an SSL.

Having said this, I would recommend the API strip. Great preamp, EQ that rivals Neve (and possibly preferable) and the 527 compressor is amazing. Since your mostly ITB, you can do your surgical EQ there including HFP/LFP. What I would do is track everything using the API and eq/compress going in and do the rest of your work ITB. As far as 2bus compression, get another API strip and use the 527 linked for 2bus compression. It is similar to the API 2500 2bus compressor which is one of the best sounding units I have ever owned. At that point you will be also set up for a killer stereo tracking rig as well.
Old 26th February 2011
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeebangs View Post
im thinking about getting out the box a little with some hardware im stuck between api , ssl , neve any points ?

Why should we do all your work when all you have to do is do a search. This has been discussed to death since day one of GS!

You spent 10 seconds in phrasing your question and expect to get answers from people spending a lifetime to find them and on top sacrificing valuable time to give you what you want only because you seem to lazy to do some real work.

Hey, I don't want to come down too hard on you. Maybe I'm wrong....
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

stop me if im wronge this site is made for questions an answers lazy ? your brain is lazy to judge me with a post on a website lol im not rich i dont have money to go buy 50 grand worth hardware an test them , if you dont like the post you dont have to respond
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

thank you kats,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search