The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendation thread for a newbie
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

Recommendation thread for a newbie

Hi everyone.
As u can see, in new to this forum...actually im really new to this all genre.
Just started buying stuff for home recording (already got an audio interface and monitors, headphones are coming soon too).

Now, i want to add an important part to my recording projects....vocals.
My knowledge im the mics area is very pure for the moment.
i need you to recommend me a nice mike which will do the job for any kind of vox (from regular male\female vox to screaming-growling death metal vox...yea, i do that too...).
something not too expansive....entry level if i may say, just for basic nice home recording.

please mention the exact full name of the product so it will be easy to be found :D

lots of thanks in advanced.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

someone ?
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Addict

Your question is really really general.

how much money do you have?

what preamp are you using?

that should be a good start
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Addict

I'd hazard a guess at a nice Large Diaphragm Condenser, Rode and SE do nice budget ones. I have the SE2200a myself, does the trick nicely for the price.

Have a look for Rode and SE mics in your local shops, do some research, read some reviews, see which one you like the sound of and fits in your budget, and enjoy. Make sure you have Phantom Power on whatever interface/Pre you have.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

I use TC Electronic Konnekt 6 audio interface.
the condenser will be connected to it. (it has 48V phantom power).

I dont know how much money i want to spend on it because i dont know the market well and it dont know how much should it cost.
Old 26th February 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

I can personally give a big +1 for the SE2200a, I loved that damn mic...It is worth more than it's price!
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

I red some reviews on the SE2200A.
It seems like its a really good mic for its price but i noticed that people would snuggest searching for another mic for screaming\growling vox.

I saw some recommendation for the Shure SM58.
Its cheap too, what do you think about it ?
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Yeah +1 too for the SE Mic, cheap but very good for an all rounder. You may want to check out the rode nt2000, I have this Mic and it is great for a wide range of vocals and some instruments. Never had any noise issues etc but it is a bit bright compared to other mics in this price range...which could be considered a good or bad thing, depending on what u want from a Mic. Hope this helps.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

what about the Shure SM58 ? is it good for that purpose ? and SM57 ? how different they are from each other (my friend has the 57)
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Nut

bounce
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

I hear there's an Audix i5 up for grabs on the Free Stuff thread.

There's a thought.
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkinson View Post
I red some reviews on the SE2200A.
It seems like its a really good mic for its price but i noticed that people would snuggest searching for another mic for screaming\growling vox.

I saw some recommendation for the Shure SM58.
Its cheap too, what do you think about it ?
See if you can get your hands on and try out a Shure SM7 (not a typo of sm57) it is very cheap $300 ish used, and it does a good job with male rock vocals (condensers may sound too harsh it you are screaming/growling).

Plus you can tell chicks that it is the mic Michael Jackson used on Thriller, because it is.
Old 7th March 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a zombie View Post
See if you can get your hands on and try out a Shure SM7 (not a typo of sm57) it is very cheap $300 ish used, and it does a good job with male rock vocals (condensers may sound too harsh it you are screaming/growling).

Plus you can tell chicks that it is the mic Michael Jackson used on Thriller, because it is.
+1..for screamo type stuff the sm7b is very good..it actually is an all around good mic!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search