The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum recording - anyone tried this method?
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Drum recording - anyone tried this method?

This is just an instinct I have in regards to recording drums with 4 mics that differs from Glynn Johns or Recorderman in placement of the overheads and I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried this?

I have yet to try it but I want to - the only drawback I can think of is possibly too much HiHat...

As far as placement this is what I'd like to try in addition to spots on snare and kick:

One LCD mic at about the drummer's head height to his left, about an arms length away, with the mic angled slightly down, facing over the hihat and pointing to the rack tom.

second LCD mic at about the same height, to the drummer's right and equidistant with the left mic from the center of the snare drum, angled down and also facing the rack tom.

pan to taste - probably not hard L-R in the mix.

My thought is that this would have less proximity to the floor tom than GJ method as well as placing the Hihat more to one side in the stereo image. I've had slightly odd placement of the HH and floor tom in GJ - possibly because I don't have the luxury of a large room. I am hoping that this method will favor drum over cymbal a little more. I realize that the kick beater may not be centered in this setup but that does not seem to be an objective of the classic GJ method anyway.

any comments?

thanks
JN
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Maniac

what's to comment? really....you say that you have yet to try this method, YOU came up with the placements, try them! then report back to us, Ok?

i'm not being an ass, think about it - you have the mic's, you have the time, you have the place, just do it - then let us know how it sounded! why all this: "what-if" scenario? just do it....then report back! it's not like it's going to take numerous hours away from your life, right?

the hell with "what if" opinions - do the deed! then the methods can be debated, yes? go for it man, and report back! - looking forward to the results.
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
what's to comment? really....you say that you have yet to try this method, YOU came up with the placements, try them! then report back to us, Ok?

i'm not being an ass, think about it - you have the mic's, you have the time, you have the place, just do it - then let us know how it sounded! why all this: "what-if" scenario? just do it....then report back! it's not like it's going to take numerous hours away from your life, right?

the hell with "what if" opinions - do the deed! then the methods can be debated, yes? go for it man, and report back! - looking forward to the results.
don't have a drummer! on-commercial, home studio, etc etc
having a hard time getting a volunteer to drag his kit here!

jn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search