The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Km184 vs. miktek C5!! help! Condenser Microphones
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Head

Km184 vs. miktek C5!! help!

Hey guys. i am looking into buying a ne overhead mic. I need one that is also good for micing acoustic guitars, and strings. I have heard the Miktek C5 is great for this as well as the neumann km184. Does anyone have experience with both? Any advice or input? Thank you!

--Tim
Old 28th July 2011
Here for the gear

Hey Tim, I'd highly recommend the c5's over the km184's. I've had both and I ended up ditching the neumanns for the mikteks. IMO, the c5's actually sort of kill the 184's. They have a smooth top end with an open airy sound whereas the neumanns can be harsh in the HF to my ears that I would imagine would be even worse if you're using a less than desirable pre. Not saying the neumanns are bad by any stretch, but the miktek's sound better to me. They have similar character but I'd say the c5's are a little closer to the sound of gefell m300's which are also fantastic for the money. Miktek makes classy mics. I'll get back on here later when I head to the studio and post samples of a kit that was just recorded at my facility with c5's as overheads.

Hope my biased opinion helps

Joe
Old 7th August 2011
Here for the gear

I agree with Joe. I've had pretty much a similar experience. Not that the KM184 is bad it's just to me the Miktek C5 is more natural sounding. I use them alongside some very well respected industry standard mics and they hold up very nicely. They excel on OHs and I've had a lot of success with them on guitars and violins. Every time I use them, I'm glad I bought them.
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Addict

I'll basically second (or third) the above sentiments.

I've found the Miktek C5 to be a very different animal in many respects to most of the commonly encountered small diaphragm condensers. I've not used the Geffel M300s, so I cannot speak to any similarities between the two. But, the C5's have a full, yet still very well defined low-frequency response. They are almost like a large diaphragm condenser in their low-end response The top is wonderfully sparkly and airy, but not tinny or strident. I find that they do not get particularly washy sounding in the top end when it comes to cymbals. As with any great microphone, they remain musical and useful while providing the detail. Lots of dimension to be had.

The Miktek C5MP is definitely a top choice. But it's just another screwdriver in that they won't fit every scenario. It all comes down to how you are balancing out the material you've been given with the tools you have available.
Old 13th August 2011
Here for the gear

Since my last post I put a pair of C5s on a small chamber choir for a hall performance. No one noticed sonically they were there. That is until I hit "mute" and the choir almost disappeared. The sound from the remote recording was also very good. This is high praise for a mic in this price range. I am now even happier that I bought them.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
I demo'd the C5's along with the Josephson C42's...I thought the C5's were much better.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I demo'd the C5's along with the Josephson C42's...I thought the C5's were much better.
I'm telling ya'. The Miktek C5 will amaze folks. I just heard back from a customer who had purchased the Miktek C5MP. He was already a big fan. But he's had them for about 2 months now and has used them in many more situations. He's raving about them now. He already was, but it's always a really good sign when the praise is trumped by more and louder praise from the same person. It means that the more you get to know about it, the more great traits are exposed rather than discovering hidden faults.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
I'm trying out a C5 again right now. For what I do here at home, (acoustic instruments, vocals) I didn't really know if I really needed a pencil considering how good the CV4 sounds. I've got a sinus thing going on and both ears are stopped up, so I can hear a damn thing - but - I recorded some acoustics with it today. From what I could tell, it sounds like it's just ready-made for acoustic. No pulling out or adding frequencies...
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Addict

Got mine recently as well. Loving it on acoustics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I'm trying out a C5 again right now. For what I do here at home, (acoustic instruments, vocals) I didn't really know if I really needed a pencil considering how good the CV4 sounds. I've got a sinus thing going on and both ears are stopped up, so I can hear a damn thing - but - I recorded some acoustics with it today. From what I could tell, it sounds like it's just ready-made for acoustic. No pulling out or adding frequencies...
Old 21st April 2015
Looking at getting a pair of these mic's. Can you confirm if they include a card. and omni capsule
Old 21st April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Looking at getting a pair of these mic's. Can you confirm if they include a card. and omni capsule
My set included both capsules, but I think you have to specifically order that configuration. The stock version comes with only the cardioid caps.
Old 22nd April 2015
I have had my eye on the Miktek C5 myself. I have heard many positives things about this mic.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

I've used both and prefer the C5.
184 is a great mic, but I generally have to fool with the track less to make it feel good in the mix if I use the C5.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Not sure if they are all this way, but my pair came with both cardioid and omni caps.
Old 22nd April 2015
Lives for gear

I have 2 sets and they both came with just cardoid. I'm quite impressed with these. I use them mostly for acoustic, but the bottom for a sdc is impressive. I really like the top and mids as well.
L.
Old 27th October 2016
Here for the gear

Resurrecting this year old thread.

I'm thinking about a pair of the C5's. I have borrowed both the KM 184's and Gefell M300's in the past. I liked them, but felt they had almost to much of that warm, thick sound. Maybe other folks would call this bright? However you would describe it, I think I am looking for a little less of that. Here are some samples with both on my acoustic guitar, which is all that I record.

I'm curious how the C5's compare, if anyone has any input.

thanks!

Anton
Old 30th January 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonemery View Post
Resurrecting this year old thread.

I'm thinking about a pair of the C5's. I have borrowed both the KM 184's and Gefell M300's in the past. I liked them, but felt they had almost to much of that warm, thick sound. Maybe other folks would call this bright? However you would describe it, I think I am looking for a little less of that. Here are some samples with both on my acoustic guitar, which is all that I record.

I'm curious how the C5's compare, if anyone has any input.

thanks!

Anton
I've been doing my homework regarding a purchase of a pair of C5 mics. Thanks for those samples, though. I am liking the Gefell track, as it sounded more natural. I know this thread had kind of died, but just offering my input. The KM 184 track sounded like the gain was too hot(?)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search