The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a new microphone! (HELP PLEASE)
Old 24th February 2011
Here for the gear

Need a new microphone! (HELP PLEASE)

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I was wondering if I could get some help!

I am looking to buy a new microphone, I have had this crappy Behringer C1 for the last 3 years and I know its time to upgrade. Don't get me wrong, its withstood a lot of recording and its proven pretty good, but I think its time to step it up.

At the moment my maximum budget is £350-400 ($560). I really need some help in choosing which microphone to get. I have only had experience with the "sE Electronics SE 2200A" in my school, and there's nowhere in which I can test some mics out.

I have obviously searched around and I have found a deal which bundles the SE ELECTRONICS SE2200A & SE ELECTRONICS REFLEXION FILTER.

My room in which I record is not acoustically treated, so I think a Reflexion Filter would be useful. What do you guys think, if you have any experience with the Reflexion Filter or the microphone?

My second option is the Shure SM7B. It's a dynamic so it would deffinitly cut out the room noise, the only problem is if my M-Audio ProFire 2626 has enough clean gain to run it? Have you guys used either one with a ProFire?

Finally, I would just like to know if anyone here has tried both mics, and which is the better one for me, you would think?

Thanks a lot!
-RSV Studios
Old 24th February 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

AFAIK the SM7 is going to cost a bunch more in the UK vs. the USA.

So...

IMHO you may like either a Beyer M88, or Beyer Soundstar M400 series. FWIW being a (moderately) sibilant male vocalist, personally the M400 is a closer match out of the box. A Sennheiser MD431, scored on the cheap,
would also be on my shortlist too.

The M400 sounds similar to the SM7, think fraternal twin though!heh

On one of these quality dynamics, a duvet behind the vocalist can do a nice job of taming room reflections.

Chris
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVStudios View Post
My second option is the Shure SM7B. It's a dynamic so it would deffinitly cut out the room noise, the only problem is if my M-Audio ProFire 2626 has enough clean gain to run it? Have you guys used either one with a ProFire?
Welcome to GS. Now stop being such a newbie! You did a good job by providing the budget but we have no clue what you are trying to capture (vox, gtr, etc).

I'm giving you a hard time but I'm just messing around :D

2626 has plenty of gain (75db) for the SM7B incidentally.
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

I am continually amazed at how incredible the SM7B is. Just the other day I used one on vocals and on a guitar cab in favor of a good number of mics that cost 10x more.
Old 24th February 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot for the quick replies!
Haha, yes I will be using the microphone for vocals, but if it were very variable that would be nice, because I work with male/female/rappers, so pretty much an all round vocal microphone.
Yes, the SM7 is so much cheaper in the US than it is in the UK. I'm thinking about getting it off eBay from an American retailer, even with the delivery charge I'm saving a lot than buying it from UK.

I'll check out those microphones you posted and see sounds clips and such!
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

SM7B, EV RE-20, AT4050 - all good candidates that cover a broad spectrum (vox, instruments) in your price range
Old 24th February 2011
Here for the gear

I have heard the EV RE-20, I quite like that sound!
And my only concern with the SM7B was that I didn't have enough clean gain, but apparently I do.

I just checked out those microphones with sound clips @chessparov, I quite like them too! Thanks for those options, although I think I personally still like the SM7B and RE-20 more!

Would you say I should go for the dynamic, or a Reflexion Filter with a condenser? I will also have a duvet behind the vocalist.
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear
cm-6.
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

SM7b is very usable mic. I love mine.
I'd recommend you to get LDC as well for different taste and situations like AT4033.
You can get close to this mic since this mic has tight clean bottom which might help for non treated room.
Omni mic won't be usable if you are in non treated room IMHO.
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, the SM7 is so much cheaper in the US than it is in the UK. I'm thinking about getting it off eBay from an American retailer, even with the delivery charge I'm saving a lot than buying it from UK.
Just remember that you also have to pay import duty on it

Having said that (and I'm not meaning to sound like a commercial here at all, just telling it like it is) I would highly recommend you give Warren at ZenPro Audio a shout --- he's a GS member, and a really nice guy too. He has first-class service, and my SM7b from him actually worked out about £30 cheaper (including delivery, import duty etc) than buying it here in the UK.
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Head

In that price range look at some AT mics. Great bang for the buck.
Old 24th February 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks again for all the help guys!
I think I am really leaning towards the SM7B now, and yes I think I would need a LDC though, for different vocalists. I do currently have one dynamic microphone, which is actually pretty good. It's the AKG D5, but it picks up plosives so bad (even with a pop shield).

So I take it all you guys think I should forget the sE Electronics Reflexion Filter and just go with a dynamic?
Old 4th March 2011
Here for the gear

An update on my choice now! I asked my music-tech teacher and he reccomended me this package after trials with the microphone. sE Electronics Z3300A + FREE Project Studio Reflexion Bundle at Gear4Music.com

Have you guys used it as well? Sound clips sound extremely promising.
Same price as the Shure SM7B too, so my final decision is between them two.

Thanks!
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Getting SM7b certainly won't hurt, I think it it one of the most versatile dynamic mic. I'd consider getting good LCD as well for recording some quiet instruments and vocals for different taste.
4050 might be good alternative since it is considered versatile .
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Maniac
I have a SE project reflection filter for my little box room that I record vox in. It works very well with all kinds of mics. It really removes the room and gives you a very dry signal.
Then again, if I had a nice room to record in then I certainly wouldn't be using it.
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
An update on my choice now! I asked my music-tech teacher and he reccomended me this package after trials with the microphone. sE Electronics Z3300A + FREE Project Studio Reflexion Bundle at Gear4Music.com

Have you guys used it as well? Sound clips sound extremely promising.
Same price as the Shure SM7B too, so my final decision is between them two.

Thanks!
Tbh, if this is gonna be pretty much your only decent mic for now, I'd prob go for the Z3300A deal. While I love my SM7b, there are some thing where a condenser is gonna be more useful -- things like acoustic guitar for example.
Having the option of different polar patterns is very handy too.

What are you planning on recording with this? You've only mentioned rap vocals ---- is that what you'll be recording exclusively, or will you be throwing all kinds of sources at this mic? If you were only recording rap vox, I'd prob lean on the side of the SM7b, but it's really difficult to give you advice "blindly" about this ----there are some voices that it simply doesn't work for (as with all mics).

If you really can't go somewhere and try the mics for yourself, try and find somewhere that will let you return/exchange the mic, in case you get it home and it's really not right....
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

I've tried a bunch of sE products, and was very pleased with the quality of most. The company is defnitely a big step above the standard chinese re-brand competition. I'd certainly reckon you can trust the sE mic+RF package.
Old 5th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'd consider getting good LCD as well for recording some quiet instruments and vocals for different taste.
4050 might be good alternative since it is considered versatile.
I have just looked at that microphone, and I think its a bit out of my price range, but I have listened to sound clips and it certainly sounds great!

Quote:
I have a SE project reflection filter for my little box room that I record vox in. It really removes the room and gives you a very dry signal.
That is exactly why I wanted a reflexion filter or a dynamic mic, just to get quality but also the room out of it. I think I would go for the Project Reflexion Filter seeing as you can still get a good signal.

Quote:
What are you planning on recording with this? You've only mentioned rap vocals.
I would like an "all around" microphone, but my main genres I record are; acoustic, indie, alternative, soft rock & rap.

Quote:
try the mics for yourself, try and find somewhere that will let you return/exchange the mic
Also there is no where I can test these mics in the city I live. I can buy them online and like you said, take them back if I don't like them.
______

I got the idea of the Z3300A from my music-technology teacher at school, after he tested them out in a commercial studio in my city. He said it sounded really good for the price. He had never personally tried the SM7B, but he said go with a reflexion filter and a LDC, just because of versatility.

But like I said, it will mostly be a vocal mic, because I do already have other microphones for acoustic guitars and such.

Thanks!
Old 5th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
That is exactly why I wanted a reflexion filter or a dynamic mic, just to get quality but also the room out of it. I think I would go for the Project Reflexion Filter seeing as you can still get a good signal.
I tend to do this the other way round - when I last recorded a vocal in the home I put the "reflection filter" behind the singer to minimise reflections into the front of the mic.

I used an Ilsonic tile at the time - today I would do it the cheap way and hang a duvet behind the singer. It enables a good vocal without making the room too dry.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search