The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY SSL Mixbuss and 1176. Does it worth it? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
thank you for your kind words. the thing is that you don t live in a country wehere they won t let u have a paypal account...
ah, i see.

i was unaware of this pain in your arse!

apologies for my sarcasm.
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
After I bought my SSL clone from Mexicola, i sold my Smart C1.
heh
Old 28th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodog View Post
I know the debate and have much respect for Jakob and the Gyraf forum in general. For people like me who even have trouble soldering an audio cable it's a godsend that there are folks who make wellmade clones for reasonable prices though.

I've checked DIY stuff and most of the time there's trouble getting some parts, encasing and/or frontplate. If you sum it all up: DIY'ing is great for hobby electronica freaks, buying ready made clones is great for amateur audio engineers (and I guess even some pro's).
I totally agree. I usually check on ebay from time to time.
Global search shows some interesting ITEMS for the mixbus comp.
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear
i just bought the parts from hairball and mouser for rev a. it's happening
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Maniac

As stated before the 1176 takes more effort than the SSL to make but both are well worth it.

Ive got three DIY SSL's and only on the third one did I fit the Turbo board, after using this one on a few mixes I am now in the process of retro fitting the other two with Turbo's. With out the turbo you will loose definition of every instrument/item that you place central in the mix, well worth the extra money and the hassle.

You can check out what the turbo board does here:
YouTube - Expat Audio - Turbo GSSL PCB

The 1176 when constructed right are also superb, I've got 4 of them and they all get used during tracking and mixing.

Once you've done them try some Pre's, built 4 Neve 1290's last year and they are realy good, not too hard to build but, the parts are a little more expensive than what you shell out for the SSL and the 1176.

Next............some full blown 1084's and a few different weird guitar pedals.
Old 16th April 2011
Gear Nut
Not to throw a wrench in this convo, but I found that in the retrospect, the 1176 was much easier to build than the mixbuss. More components, more that can go wrong, more time calibrating... Just my two cents.

Anyway, both units sound awesome. Definitely go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY SSL Mixbuss and 1176. Does it worth it?-sb4k.jpg   DIY SSL Mixbuss and 1176. Does it worth it?-1176.jpg  
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear
the 1176 is almost complete, i can't wait to test it! it's made with a diy pcb so it doesn't look so sweet as dan's but i don't really care as long as it sounds good.
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear
i would really apreciate if somebody could send me some info on calibrating the 1176. i can t seem to find a lot for rev a. thanks.

Sent from my MB525 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Isn't the calibration procedure the same as with the rev D?

check mnats site:
Building The DIY 1176LN Revision D

There he also mentions that apart from the designated name for "Q Bias adjustment" trim pot on the PCB all steps apply to both Rev A and D.

I also plan to build 2 Rev A's in the future - so please keep us posted about your progress

Meanwhile I finished my first LA2A - built with the Drip PCB.
It was also not too hard to build - but it's tube gear, so there's high voltage involved...

But it sounds amaazing!!

some pics:
in the first one you can see the drip opto4 pcb offers the option to install 2 T4B cells (fast and slow) - there are two sockets. (T4B cells not installed yet)

in the second pic it's finished and mounted in the rack
Attached Thumbnails
DIY SSL Mixbuss and 1176. Does it worth it?-la2a_open_without_t4b.jpg   DIY SSL Mixbuss and 1176. Does it worth it?-la2a_finished.jpg  
Old 23rd May 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Not to throw a wrench in this convo, but I found that in the retrospect, the 1176 was much easier to build than the mixbuss. More components, more that can go wrong, more time calibrating... Just my two cents.

Anyway, both units sound awesome. Definitely go for it.
Those both look awesome! Congrats!
Old 11th July 2011
Lives for gear
just finishet the sb4000. really worth the time/money investment. after i ll spend more time on it i will be able to tell you more. for the moment i m really happy but haven t used it in a mix yet,
Old 28th July 2011
Checkout Igs Audiio products
Old 29th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by danchi View Post
Checkout Igs Audiio products
looks interesting but as far as i could tell not really diy
Old 29th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
It has been debated that both of these companies actually 'borrowed' Prodigy concepts and designs for these products.
You can't get away from that place...

Rock on, Jakob!
Hmm and I wonder what SSL feels about this?

I have to say my whole studio is based around DIY and the Prodigy site has been the only reason I can acheive this, A huge thanks to Gyraf for kick starting many DIYers.

The builds if done right can be as good or better than the originals but I seriously do have a problem with a few who take a hypocritical view of who has the right to do what?
Old 29th July 2011
Gear Maniac

I think the SB4000 is based on the GSSL and the Mixbuzz is based on the G4000 master compressor.

Not sure which is suited to what application but would like to hear what they found best use for these unit for?
Old 29th July 2011
Lives for gear

DIY is a very funky thing to consider. Its not for everyone....sometimes being too optimistic about it can lead to endless hours of people pulling their hair out only to give up.

You don't have to be incredibly smart. You just need to know how to read and learn. My personal experience includes many many many hours of hair pulling...nail biting...sometimes things don't work how you first expect them, especially when your just starting out. And after you've invested $$$ amount of money and XXXX amount of time, it can be rather frustrating.

But if you keep with it and stay determined, you can ALWAYS get your unit working. Thats what I love about Electronics, its not like making a hit song, were you can spend hours and hours and $$$$$$$ writing it and recording it and pouring your soul into it, only to find out that people could care less....with electronics, stick with it long enough you will get your reward! and then you'll have more toys to record that hit song with....

Go For it! Just go in knowing that yea it can save you money, and yea it can be very rewarding, but its not something for nothing...your still going to have to work at it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search