The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MCI JH110 1" 8 track Troubleshooting
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

MCI JH110 1" 8 track Troubleshooting

Hey gents I have a MCI Jh110C 8 track I have been trying to get work with the help of SS. It has 4 cards for each channel. That's 32 total. I have got all running ,but 1 card. My problem lies in 3 channel mother boards that dont work. 1 channel shows a 1k tone on input and shorts in and out in rep. Sometimes I can tap the motherboard and it works. The second bad mothertboard shows no input in line in or rep,even though all the 4 cards work. Its dead. The third bad motherboard shows input incoming 1k ,but not in rep while recording. It is recording,because I can rewind and playback only thru the cue head.
Any thought where the motherboards go bad, or on the back wall? GT.
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Head

Try wiggling the relays towards the back of the mother board. The receptacle sockets loose their tension and cause audio to cut in and out. I've been able to find the replacement sockets for these at Mouser.
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliebers View Post
Try wiggling the relays towards the back of the mother board. The receptacle sockets loose their tension and cause audio to cut in and out. I've been able to find the replacement sockets for these at Mouser.
Ok I will try. There are two relays at the back. GT
Old 21st February 2011
Take the boards out and go over the solder joints on all the Molex connectors. MCI machines are notorious for developing problems with cold solder joints on the Molex. Also, you should replace all the electolytic and/or tantalum caps if this has not already been done.

Also if any of the boards have the RED IC sockets these need to be replaced as the contacts lose tension.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search