The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Setups in the Hollywood, CA Area
Old 20th February 2011
Here for the gear

Guitar Setups in the Hollywood, CA Area

Looking for a place in the Hollywood area to get a Les Paul Studio faded cherry set up that I just purchased used. I want to have it done right because I'm going to be using it specifically for recording.

I've had a handful of recommendations from friends, but I figured I'd reach out to the community as I don't post very often in general.

Looking for someone who does great, thorough work, but isn't really expensive. Obviously there are some world class places here that are charging $100 at minimum for basic stuff like a rod adjustment, intonation, etc.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

He is a few miles from Hollywood in Culver City, but this guy does all my set ups. Nice guy. Great work.
Greg Back Guitars - About Greg
Old 20th February 2011
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeracanelli View Post
...Obviously there are some world class places here that are charging $100 at minimum for basic stuff like a rod adjustment, intonation, etc.

Any thoughts?
Los Angeles is a very competitive market.
They can only charge that much because a lot of people consider their work to be well worth the price. I'd also beware of people who don't charge a minimum but then end up charging even more for the same work. You're surely not talking about more than a 50 or 60 dollar difference which is a tiny fraction of the guitar's value.
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Maniac

This is the guy you want:
John Wescott guitar repair.
He is in North Hollywood.
Top quality work, quick turn around, extremely reasonable prices.
I have been using him for the last 18yrs, and I can't say enough good things about him.
818/761-4156
Old 20th February 2011

David Neely is right above Boogie on Sunset. Nice guy and good repairman.
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Addict

Give this guy a call Curtis Laur Gear Rentals - New Homepage

Not sure if he still does gtr repair/setup, but in the past I went to him for all my gtr/bass/amp/pedal repairs and mods. He's mostly a touring guy these days. but who knows, he might be willing to do some work for you??. He's out in Chatsworth, west end of San Fernando valley.
Old 21st February 2011
Here for the gear

Guys, thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm going to check around on these.

Ronan, big fan of the recording show. Sennheiser is sending me a TS P-Solo to demo, I'm excited to try it out.

I'm by no means a recording guru, I'm more of a producer/songwriter, but I love these boards for helping to learn what I need to know.
Old 21st February 2011
Here for the gear

Also, Bob, thanks for the advice.

I have to say, my girlfriend is from Detroit so I'd go there all the time. One day she up and decided to take me to Motown (about 2 years ago was the first time I'd ever gone), and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Before that, I'd read about Motown and looked up to Berry Gordy. I grew up on Motown and got re-inspired during my first year in college when we had to watch The Temptations movie...probably back in 02 or 03.
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Addict

Carrauthers Guitars in Venice does excellent work and Paul at TrueTone Music in Santa Monica does killer setups and repairs , Sadly Rick Turner moved up north a few years ago and I think Bill Asher who worked with him closed his repair shop and only builds his own these days .
Old 21st February 2011
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeracanelli View Post
... I grew up on Motown and got re-inspired during my first year in college when we had to watch The Temptations movie...probably back in 02 or 03.
They really did a hatchet job on David in that movie. He was actually a warm and wonderful man to work with.
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

John Carruthers (Venice)
TrueTone (Santa Monica)
Norik Renson (North Hollywood)
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

John Wescott is awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search