The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sampling Rate Affects Ableton Live Operator's Filter?
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Addict

Sampling Rate Affects Ableton Live Operator's Filter?

wtf. So on my quest to find a sample rate that works best with my setup (I can use either 44.1, 48, or 96) something really weird happened. Ok, so lets A/B sampling rates. I load up one of my projects which has Ableton Operator running on one of the channels. Select that channel and turn off (bypass) ALL effects leaving only Operator turned on. Select what I want to render (from midi clip of course), go to file and export as 32/96 aif. Then, go to file and export 32/44.1 aif. Now I have two versions (different sampling rates) of the same exact musical piece. Now when I go and play back the files from my desktop where I had rendered them (plain vanilla just clicking on the file, then hitting space bar to preview - I'm on a mac) they sound very different from each other. Well how could that be? So, I go back into my daw and repeated the SAME EXACT steps, except this time I turned off the filter within Operator. Played back the files, and this time they were IDENTICAL. WTF?
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Yup. Operator can sound quite different playing the same thing at different sample rates. There are several reasons for this. First is because it's primarily an FM synth, and those can be made to produce large quantities of high frequency content that aliases very easily. The foldback frequencies will obviously vary quite a lot depending on sample rate.

The second, and the one it looks like you ran into, is that of FIR filters having their shape distorted as you approach the nyquist frequency. If you want to avoid that, then use the hi and lowpass of an EQ 8 instead of the internal filters, and turn on the hi quality setting that doubles the sample rate inside the plugin.
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by (un)reason View Post
Yup. Operator can sound quite different playing the same thing at different sample rates. There are several reasons for this. First is because it's primarily an FM synth, and those can be made to produce large quantities of high frequency content that aliases very easily. The foldback frequencies will obviously vary quite a lot depending on sample rate.

The second, and the one it looks like you ran into, is that of FIR filters having their shape distorted as you approach the nyquist frequency. If you want to avoid that, then use the hi and lowpass of an EQ 8 instead of the internal filters, and turn on the hi quality setting that doubles the sample rate inside the plugin.
Extremely useful information. Thanks. I will have to get in there and run some more tests.
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Addict

Here's what I found out. I rendered out the midi clip at 96 khz. Took it into Wave Editor and converted the sample rate to 44.1 and it still sounded the same (as the 96 khz - which is a good thing). Now I noticed on the waveform before I even did anything in Wave Editor that the waveform looked weird. Now idk why it looked like this but it looked like as if someone took a picture of the waveform and reduced it's resolution (the waveform looked blocky). Is this aliasing?
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1205 View Post
Is this aliasing?
A waveform sampled at a lower rate will not look the same as the same waveform sampled at a higher rate. However, it doesn't matter how it looks as long as it's still sampled at least twice per cycle ... it will be reconstructed the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search