The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CLA at Mix LA studio setup
Old 19th February 2011
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Unexplainedbacon's Avatar
 

CLA at Mix LA studio setup

I was watching some video's of CLA's studio and I noticed he has another console it seems facing his head on, as if there are two separate rooms both facing each other. I couldn't find a pic but its in this video

YouTube - CLA live at Mix LA Part 1/2

Whats the deal with that?

Another Newb question regarding pro studios, everyone talks about expensive board maintenance and stuff; I recently talked to a guy who's studio I recorded at awhile back and he got rid of his NEVE desk because he said it cost him 200-300 per month on maintenance. What exactly needs to be done on a monthly basis? I understand new caps etc. in the long run, but thats not every month

Enlighten me please
Old 19th February 2011
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

Its for his assistant. Just a workflow thing that he prefers from what I can gather.
Old 20th February 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
superwack's Avatar
Actually, if you think about it, $200-$300 is NOTHING... techs make upwards of $50-$100 an hour plus these consoles use high-end (expensive) parts - I seem to remember some of the multi-layer pots on our SSL4000 were $200+ each! - not including labor to replace. As for why... well they generate a LOT of heat thus components have shorter life. also as dumb as it may sound, there are lots and lots of components to wear out/break -- switches, caps, resistors, chips, lights, etc. think about buying one brand new car - probably won't have any daily maintenance BUT buy a fleet of 1,000 new cars and you'll be fixing, fueling, oil changing every day!
Old 20th February 2011
  #4
Gear Head
 
meteo's Avatar
 

please dont say things that arent true about ssl consoles.
i have an ssl 4040e and the major parts cost 10 cents each, from caps to resistors, chips, and light bulbs.. the multi layer pots cost 15 dollars, and they dont generate so much heat. neve do, ssl are a lot cooler.
Old 20th February 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 

So this guy is sitting in the studio full with hardware comps and saying we should buy plug ins ?!?!?!?
This world is really getting strange ....
Old 20th February 2011
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unexplainedbacon View Post
I recently talked to a guy who's studio I recorded at awhile back and he got rid of his NEVE desk because he said it cost him 200-300 per month on maintenance. What exactly needs to be done on a monthly basis? I understand new caps etc. in the long run, but thats not every month

Enlighten me please
My guess is he wasn't talking about actual monthly maintenance but rather he was giving an average of what the work cost him over time.
Old 20th February 2011
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
Unexplainedbacon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass man View Post
So this guy is sitting in the studio full with hardware comps and saying we should buy plug ins ?!?!?!?
This world is really getting strange ....
Yea, I dont wear Nikes, but you better believe if they offered to make me a signature shoe I'd rep it! $$$$$$$$
Old 20th February 2011
  #8
Gax
Lives for gear
 
Gax's Avatar
 

Man i remember when CanAm dint have as much gear before CLA came and installed his wall of gear in middle of control room heh


Old 20th February 2011
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unexplainedbacon View Post
Yea, I dont wear Nikes, but you better believe if they offered to make me a signature shoe I'd rep it! $$$$$$$$
I have a feeling CLA does well enough on his own without needing Waves to throw him a few bucks. Plus he's got a reputation of his own to keep up. If he's going to lend his name to a product it makes sense that it would be the one winning grammys.
Old 20th February 2011
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
Unexplainedbacon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubertfoley View Post
I have a feeling CLA does well enough on his own without needing Waves to throw him a few bucks. Plus he's got a reputation of his own to keep up. If he's going to lend his name to a product it makes sense that it would be the one winning grammys.
I agree with you, but that doesn't stop mega rich athletes from adding to their piles of cash by doing gillette commercials. I use the CLA compressors and they're great.
Old 20th February 2011
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unexplainedbacon View Post
I agree with you, but that doesn't stop mega rich athletes from adding to their piles of cash by doing gillette commercials. I use the CLA compressors and they're great.

Not really the same thing. Athletes don't use shaving cream in their professional work. They can endorse whoever throws the most cash. If CLA endorsed plugins that weren't up to par he would be laughed at professionally and lose credibility.
Old 20th February 2011
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Unexplainedbacon's Avatar
 

Sure. I haven't used the CLA plugs in question here, but his other ones are great. Even his presets for the SSL G etc.
Old 20th February 2011
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubertfoley View Post
Not really the same thing. Athletes don't use shaving cream in their professional work. They can endorse whoever throws the most cash. If CLA endorsed plugins that weren't up to par he would be laughed at professionally and lose credibility.
By whom?

His peers?

CLA could endorse Behringer gear and it wouldn't affect his career in the slightest bit.

He would lose cred points on this forum which matters to him this much:



heh heh heh
Old 20th February 2011
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
Unexplainedbacon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
By whom?

His peers?

CLA could endorse Behringer gear and it wouldn't affect his career in the slightest bit.

He would lose cred points on this forum which matters to him this much:

heh heh heh
Speaking of which, is he on GS? I know pensado, maserati etc. snoop around on here
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
theBackwardsman / So Much Gear, So Little Time
16
Lolo22 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
sonicolonic / Studio Building / Acoustics
0
rhythmic5 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
11
zak7 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump