The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
upgrading... but what?
Old 19th February 2011
Here for the gear

upgrading... but what?

I am upgrading and am pretty new to recording, so after some research i am kinda strugeling on what to do for better sound. I currently own a akg perception 220 and a fast track interface with pro tools le. A CHEAP setup i know haha, but vocals sound quite terrible even with eq and compression. I am looking for a natural sound possible like "tyler ward" style music on youtube. I am wondering if i should upgrade to a profire2626 interface to get better pre-amps and more xlr plugins as i can afford it. and possible get better sound. Or should i just save up for a apogee anesemble as i heard it is great. As well for a microphone i head the blue kiwi has very clean sound to it but it is expensive. If i do any upgrading i need to do it very selectively and over a few months. what would u suggest i get first or any other equipment that is better or equal quality for cheaper?
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Chad, welcome to GS

The Profire, the Apogee - either will be fine. You can get really, really good recordings out of either so just pick which one you want and make music.

The mic is more important IMO than the pre choice for you though. You can take a nice mic (and the Blue Kiwi is a really good mic) and make it sound nice in just about any pre. Magic happens when good mic meets good pre though

I wonder though if the Blue Kiwi isn't too big of a step up though - you're going from a $130 retail mic (AKG 220) to a $2000 mic - whoa! I'd think you would notice a significant upgrade in sound with far cheaper mics. The problem with dumping a lot of money into your mic but being deficient in other areas is this:

Your recorded sound is only as good as the weakest link

So if you have a $350 interface, no room treatment, $20 USB headphones, and a $2000 mic it's going to sound like crap. You'd usually see guys spreading that money around - better interface, good room treatment, good monitors, and a good mic.

I'd check out the Blue Baby Bottle, an SM7B, or heck any one of 20 other mics in the $250-$450 range (used or new) and then get the 2626. I'd put the rest of the budget into treating your tracking/mixing space and upgrading your monitors (if necessary)
Old 20th February 2011
Here for the gear

hey thanks a lot for the info and i would of actually done what u where suggesting but i got a deal today on a blue kiwi. got it for 1400$ from guitar center last one on clearance. though your right about it may not sound as good as it could because of everything else i figured with this deal i didn't want to pass it up. I will definitely keep that in mind for future upgrading though. As far as I know 1400$ is quite a deal so i decided i would go for it. then go for a nice preamp next and then prob the profire2626.
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadn1 View Post
what would u suggest i get first or any other equipment that is better or equal quality for cheaper?
Is the room treated? If not I'd do that first. cheersheh
Old 20th February 2011
Here for the gear

i actually know nothing about room treating or what that even does :o its just my bedroom. how do u do that and or what is that?
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadn1 View Post
then go for a nice preamp next and then prob the profire2626.
Congrats on the mic deal - that sounds great. Just so you know, the 2626 includes pres. You can run external pres through it too but you probably will be happy just using the pres on the 2626 at first.
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Maniac

upgrading... but what?

IMO you should get a sm7b. The kiwi is a great mic but it's gonna pick up your untreated room even more! The sm7b its a dynamic so you can record in an untreated room and get great results with a good pre that has good headroom. I say this not to discourage your purchase but to save you some of the same mistakes I made when I started recording 10 years ago!! Good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search