The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi 003 pres maxing out even when turned down
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Addict

Digi 003 pres maxing out even when turned down

I rarely use the 1-4 analog ins on my 003, but when recording louder sound sources on them -- e.g., drums -- they either max out or come close even when turned all the way down. This occurs both when recording directly into them or via outboard pres (which then themselves also have to be turned down too). Is there just some minimum level the 003 will pick up regardless of setting? This also seems to be an issue with the 5-8 line ins, but with the -10db pads, it's at least manageable. What gives?
Thanks!
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

I dont use a 003, but I often find myself engaging pads for louder sources. Many mics have pads as well, and you can also buy inline pads pretty cheap or more expensive devices like the little labs red cloud to pad down inputs on the way in. When using outboard pres you'll want to make sure you're using line level inputs not mic inputs on the way into the 003.
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

What mics are you using and how are you placing them? I've never had this issue with my 003. I'm no thor but I hit my drums pretty damn hard and regularly mic an Orange half stack..

If I had to blindly guess, get better mics, move them further back from the sources, use the 003s pads, use the pads on your new and improved mics, or get an inline pad^^
(no offense, seriously, I dont know anything about your set up or experiences)
That or you've got a very messed up 003, in which case call digi.

Mike
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks. Rcb - yeah, I'm using the line ins for outboard pres.

Mike -- it happens with typical mics and placements, e.g., a snare close mic'd w/ a 57. I use the pads on inputs 5-8, but 1-4 doesn't have em. I could just buy additional inline pads, but I wanted to first rule out any more serious problems with the digi, which maybe I can't given your post...
Old 19th February 2011
pbs
Gear Head

I'd say there's nothing wrong with your 003, just a downside of the built in pres. They're the last 4 of my inputs that I go to but I have at times been forced to use them for extra drum channels and close mics will clip them. Try an inline pad if you must use your close mics through 003 pres or pickup a cheap 8 channel pre with pads and adat out. I got a digimax lt for $250 used and it's a nice improvement over the digi pres, plus pads on every channel
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear
Doing live sound I always have to pad the drum Mic channels except overhead. Prob nothing wrong with the Digi.

Via Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Maniac

I have the same issue (using an 003 on drums). bought a few cheap hosa inline XLR pads (upto 30db attenuation), problem solved.
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbeeth View Post
Thanks. Rcb - yeah, I'm using the line ins for outboard pres.

Mike -- it happens with typical mics and placements, e.g., a snare close mic'd w/ a 57. I use the pads on inputs 5-8, but 1-4 doesn't have em. I could just buy additional inline pads, but I wanted to first rule out any more serious problems with the digi, which maybe I can't given your post...
online attenuation is most direct solution, however, please clarify for me: 003rack? if so, the "pads" on 5-8 are not pads (per se)... they switch between a -10 unbalanced signal and a +4 balanced signal for the TRS connector. when using 1-4 with external pre's are you connecting the pre's to the Digi with XLR cables? or using a XLR > 1/4" TRS (DI input) and then toggling mic/di switch on the front panel of the Digi? thus making it a line level (+4) connection.

Hobson

Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 20th February 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks Hobson. Good to know about the "pads." Yeah, it's an 003 rack, and for outboard pres into 1-4 I'm using XLR>TRS and using the DI setting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search