The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you tell me about this MXR flanger?
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Can you tell me about this MXR flanger?

Forgive me for my guitar pedal ignorance, I'm mostly a synth guy.

I was just cleaning out some old boxes and I dug up this MXR pedal which somebody gave to me a long time ago. I did some quick googling and found out that there's a few different versions of this, but I'm not sure which one I have. I am wondering if somebody could tell me which version I have. The AC cord is directly connected to the back of the unit.

I snapped a quick photo of mine.

Old 18th February 2011
Deleted User
Other than they sound brilliant?

The sister MXR Phase pedal, is the infamous Eddie Van Halen pedal, of which he used on so many tracks to scope that lush guitar tone, songs like Aint Talkin Bout Love feature it heavily.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
Other than they sound brilliant?

The sister MXR Phase pedal, is the infamous Eddie Van Halen pedal, of which he used on so many tracks to scope that lush guitar tone, songs like Aint Talkin Bout Love feature it heavily.
Yes, in my googling efforts about MXR, Eddie Van Halen was mentioned quite a bit.

I was mainly wondering if the one that I have is a vintage, original one, or if it's one of the newer ones. It's been in a box for ten years, and I've never even tried it once. Maybe I should. heh
Old 18th February 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
Yes, in my googling efforts about MXR, Eddie Van Halen was mentioned quite a bit.

I was mainly wondering if the one that I have is a vintage, original one, or if it's one of the newer ones. It's been in a box for ten years, and I've never even tried it once. Maybe I should. heh
It looks vintage.

The newer ones are brightly coloured, look tidier and nowhere near as lush sounding!
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
It looks vintage.

The newer ones are brightly coloured, look tidier and nowhere near as lush sounding!
Great, thanks for your reply.

Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

I've got one of those that I bought new in the 70's, and I love it! The new ones have an LED on them, and they're 18 volt, (2-9vt or an adapter). New ones are OK, but these oldies are LUSH.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

When that pedal was new the list price was , in England, some £220, to put that into context, a Les Paul cost £375 new, back then, a Marshall 100 watt head, just over £100.
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

EVH used this pedal on "And the cradle will rock" on "Women and children first", between a Wurlitzer piano and his Marshall amp.
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear
As you say, there were several versions, however figuring out the date shouldn't be too hard. Pop off the bottom and read the codes off the pots (there should be a 7 digit number with the first 3 being the brand code and the last 4 the year and week of manufacture). These are good sounding flangers, although, on a slow sweep, at the bottom there's a little kick up (it's not a smooth sine wave) that I don't find appealing, so I sold mine and I'm very happy with my Foxrox TZF. No question, though, that it's a classic sound and worth a bit as vintage.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search