The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plugging Shure SM58 into GK Bass Amp, 400rb
Old 17th February 2011
Here for the gear

Plugging Shure SM58 into GK Bass Amp, 400rb

I used this amp for everything, I plug my ipod to it, I plug my bass guitar and even a fender stratocaster to it, which sounds stupid... what would it sound like if I bought this shure mic, and used a 1/4 cord to plug it in? I'm doing scream vocals
Old 18th February 2011
Here for the gear

Bump, thanks
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicjunkie View Post
Bump, thanks
hahaha
He's right. Bump it is.

It will sound like the combined frequency response of the Shure SM58 and the response of the speaker in the cabinet. If you don't like the sound, use the (I'm guessing it has a 3 band, and not 4 or 5 or whatever)3-band equalizer on the amp to make it sound good. My money's on the low EQ being at about 10 o'clock, the mid EQ at about 1 o'clock, and the high EQ at about 2 o'clock. At the very least, that'll get you started in the right direction. The unbalanced 1/4" might give you a little more noise than if it were balanced, but I think judging by your question, at this point it's something you don't need to be too concerned about. heh If it is too noisy, just turn the high EQ knob down a bit til it sounds good, or try a different cable, or if that all fails put a ground lift(3-to-2 adapter for the plug into the wall) on it and see if that gets rid of the noise. dfegad
Old 18th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_ethos View Post
hahaha
He's right. Bump it is.

It will sound like the combined frequency response of the Shure SM58 and the response of the speaker in the cabinet. If you don't like the sound, use the (I'm guessing it has a 3 band, and not 4 or 5 or whatever)3-band equalizer on the amp to make it sound good. My money's on the low EQ being at about 10 o'clock, the mid EQ at about 1 o'clock, and the high EQ at about 2 o'clock. At the very least, that'll get you started in the right direction. The unbalanced 1/4" might give you a little more noise than if it were balanced, but I think judging by your question, at this point it's something you don't need to be too concerned about. heh If it is too noisy, just turn the high EQ knob down a bit til it sounds good, or try a different cable, or if that all fails put a ground lift(3-to-2 adapter for the plug into the wall) on it and see if that gets rid of the noise. dfegad
Thanks a lot, I wasn't going to reply right away because its 3 in the morning but since you were so kind enough to respond, and actually give me great information, I just want to say thank you. I'm buying the mic tomorrow to try your theory, it sounds correct. I'm doing more covers soon. Thanks
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search