Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

Cutting 703

I've got a couple 8'x4' panels of 703 that I'd like to cut into 2'x4' pieces - what's the best way to cut this stuff? (I will obviously be wearing a mask and goggles...)

I have:
Circular saw
Jig saw
Hand saw
Coping saw
Old 5th February 2006
Moderator emeritus

Serrated bread knife. Works better than anything else I've tried. Use a tape measure, and let the metal tab on the tape score the 703 so that you know where to cut. Then free hand it. Easy as pie.
Old 5th February 2006
Gear nut

I used a sheet rock knife/razor.... easy and very little dust.
Old 5th February 2006
how about a chain saw?
Old 6th February 2006
Answer = electric carving knife..
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

i was working with 703 at the time of the 9/11 - the al queda style knife is, i find,
of the best sort - go to your hardware store, tell them you're in hurry and
that you need box cutters, several.........

- jack
Old 6th February 2006
ink
Gear interested

I use a very sharp “lineman’s knife” for cutting 703-705, after spending a long time with a serrated kitchen knife. (Less dust)

When cutting many panels:

Covering my wrists with baby powder before cutting seems to reduce the itch that will always find it’s way into latex gloves, tyvek suites, and other duct-tape mummy outfits I’ve tried. (Clogs a few pores in advance of glass fibers finding their way in.)

Also, rubbing your arms with a dry bar of soap immediately after the job can pull a few of the itchy glass fibers out of your skin before you have a chance to work them in with some well-deserved scratching.
Old 6th February 2006
JGP
Gear Head

Defininetly electric carving knife. I got one for about $20. also be sure to wear a mask so you don't breath any fibre glass in-it will never leave your lungs once it's in.
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Answer = electric carving knife..
beat me to it......works like nothing else. also makes your wife made as hell
Old 6th February 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink
I use a very sharp “lineman’s knife” for cutting 703-705, after spending a long time with a serrated kitchen knife. (Less dust)

When cutting many panels:

Covering my wrists with baby powder before cutting seems to reduce the itch that will always find it’s way into latex gloves, tyvek suites, and other duct-tape mummy outfits I’ve tried. (Clogs a few pores in advance of glass fibers finding their way in.)

Also, rubbing your arms with a dry bar of soap immediately after the job can pull a few of the itchy glass fibers out of your skin before you have a chance to work them in with some well-deserved scratching.

I second the LineMan's knife. One of my guy's uses it all day and swears by it. I think it works great too. Also, using a t-square and pushing down on the material (to flatten) can help you make a straighter cut. This is far less effective on the itchy 705......
Old 6th February 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

I cut mine with a utility knife while surfing the web with a pocket pc researching the best way to cut it. Just cut and make sure you are well ventilated. A mask or bandanna might not be a bad idea. I swear a felt a bit bit itchy and short of breath after cutting about a dozen + sheets.

D
Old 6th February 2006
Gear maniac

A circular saw will cut it very clean. Just adjust the blade to clear the material and away you go. I will look very nice.
Old 6th February 2006
Attached Images

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search