The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gefell UM-900 or Blue Bottle? Hm.
Old 15th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Drew...fair enough man! I appreciate you clarifying things without getting (too) offended! Peace brother!

I actually agree with pretty much *everything* you said in that last post of yours.

Quote:
Their once fully pro brand image has been lowered to a pro-sumer level. I often hear people say stuff like, "DBX, that stuff sucks!" Well there was a time when dbx "David Blackmer Electronics" was a highly respected name in this business, as were many others. Neumann is headed in that direction, too.

Man, this is all soooo true, and is really a shame.

With regard to Blue's marketing schemes... I do understand where you are going with this now, and I also have to agree with you. But like you said, it is all about business.

I have never heard the Cactus, but I have heard of lots of folks that love it, and lots of folks that hate it, which I think is a pretty common reaction to a lot of the Blue stuff!

I tried one of the transformerless Blue Mouse's (or is that "Mice"?) one time on bass drum and guitar, and didn't like what I was hearing, but there are those that love those guys too (especially the ones with the transformers). I had it in the studio for about a week, and sent it packing. I keep thinking I should give the transformer-based version another look since it seems to be so popular, but...

I have a buddy that has one of the Blueberry's, and I have heard some of the stuff he gets with it, and it seems to do a fairly decent job for what it is.

That is about the extent of my Blue experience other than to hear of folks that have used the Dragonflys on drum OHs. I've been meaning to get a pair in here one of these days to give 'em a go.

And tell me...what is up with those "Ball thingies"??? They look so bad, I just can't bring myself to even try one! They may sound great for all I know, but they look so stupid I would never be caught playing with my balls in the studio!!! I had a Blue Ball in here once for about two weeks on trial, and never even put it up. Sad, but true!

The Bottle however...this thing continues to amaze me everytime I drag it out. Its got a transformer in the bottom of it that is the size of my fist! Incredible!

All that being said, I agree that you have to respect all that Gefell has done, but I also think it is a bit cheesy in some of their marketing campaigns to call upon the Neumann name as a sales technique. As you mention above, Neumann-heiser has really gone downhill IMHO since becoming part of Sennheiser, but the Gefell stuff should be good enough to hold their own without any of that.

I really need to get some Gefell stuff in here one of these days too...Dang, I've got a lot of work to do!

BTW...I do love dealing with Mercenary...you guys have always treated me like a king, and I would never hesitate to pass along some my hard-earned cash to you folks. Jay is the man!
Lives for gear

Thanks! Rock on!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix
I'm not trying to start a war here, but you commented on both the Bottle and the Gefell and yet you don't own either one? What is up with that?

I understand that we all get chances to hear stuff, and it is obvious you work at Mercenary (which sells Gefell BTW), but hearing one and actually working with one for a given time are 2 different things altogether.

I also find it interesting that you work at Mercenary, and yet Fletcher is one of the first ones to jump on those that reply in threads when you don't really speak from experience, but rather from casual contact.

Not saying that is what is going on, but it sure looks that way.

Like I said, I am not trying to start a war, but when you make comments about "over-rated" and "under-rated" folks are going to assume you know what you are talking about.

In your last reply, you kind of backed off a bit, and then made comments about marketing and advertising, Banjo Mart, on and on...

Then you say that you are "not a fan of the all-in-one "kit" mic thing with the switchable capsules..." OK...fair enough, you are certainly entitled to your opinions, but in your first post, you make no mention of that, you just say it is over-rated, nothing about the fact that you PERSONALLY don't care for switchable capsules.

TBH, that is one of the things that I like best about The Bottle, but as I said earlier, "to each their own..." and I have no problem with you not liking that, I have a problem when you rate the quality of a product when you are not qualified to do so, and then in the end, we find out you don't like swappable caps or Blue's marketing strategy. What does that have to do with all this?

So it seems you have a problem with Blue as a company and their advertising and marketing strategies, and therefore the Bottle is "over-rated"?

I don't get it... Maybe I'm a bit slow, but do you or don't you know enough about these two mics to comment?
Just because you don't own something, doesn't mean that you haven't used it enough to know how it is. I'm sure there are things that you don't own but have used plenty of times to know that you either like it or not. I don't own an LA-3A, but i've used one plenty of times to know that I like the way that they make certain things sound. Just consider all of the possiblities before you wield your mighty sword, accusing people of being a casual user, especially if you don't know who they are and what they have done. I also do not want to start a war, I'm just saying to not get so hot headed when you don't know all of the facts.
Lives for gear

Nevermind....
I was in the process of typing my post when the others were posted. sorry
Lives for gear

PS:

Quote:
Gefell stuff should be good enough to hold their own without any of that.
Actually, Neumann should call on the Gefell name! heh
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:

but I also think it is a bit cheesy in some of their marketing campaigns to call upon the Neumann name as a sales technique.
As far as I know Gefell is still licensed or listed under the Neumann name in Germany or rather former East Germany. I don't think it was ever officially changed.
Lives for gear

Quote:

And tell me...what is up with those "Ball thingies"??? They look so bad, I just can't bring myself to even try one! They may sound great for all I know, but they look so stupid I would never be caught playing with my balls in the studio!!! I had a Blue Ball in here once for about two weeks on trial, and never even put it up. Sad, but true!
The ball sounds pretty good on some things. I've had decent results with it on clean electric guitar, and as the "slap" mic of a kick drum. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that I like it on.
Gear Addict

I have borh the Blue Bottle w B6/B7/B0, and Gefell UM75 (which I believe is the same capsule as the UM900, but slightly different electronics. Apologies is this is an oversimplification).

Both mics rock, but I have to admit I've never had success with the BLUE B7 capsule on MY voice. Lots of people love the B7, but I'm partial to the B6. YMMV

Gefell makes great stuff, and I'll definitely be taking a closer look at their mics based on my experience with the UM75 (which I demoed on Fletcher's recommendation). The metal work on the Gefell power supply seems a little delicate, but that's nitpicking for a mic that sounds huge.

Definitely demo either before buying. Either way, you'll be making some awesome sounding vocal tracks. Enjoy!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaehner
I have borh the Blue Bottle w B6/B7/B0, and Gefell UM75 (which I believe is the same capsule as the UM900, but slightly different electronics. Apologies is this is an oversimplification).

Both mics rock, but I have to admit I've never had success with the BLUE B7 capsule on MY voice. Lots of people love the B7, but I'm partial to the B6. YMMV

Gefell makes great stuff, and I'll definitely be taking a closer look at their mics based on my experience with the UM75 (which I demoed on Fletcher's recommendation). The metal work on the Gefell power supply seems a little delicate, but that's nitpicking for a mic that sounds huge.

Definitely demo either before buying. Either way, you'll be making some awesome sounding vocal tracks. Enjoy!
I asked Fletcher which Gefell he liked better, the UM75 or the UM900. He replied, "That's like asking which of my two kids I like better!"

Wow.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter
He replied, "That's like asking which of my two kids I like better!"
The one that behaves.... heh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter
I asked Fletcher which Gefell he liked better, the UM75 or the UM900. He replied, "That's like asking which of my two kids I like better!"

Wow.
Well, these two very kids will visit me on Friday. I will have to choose one of them as my new all round vocal microphone (sold U87 ai today, being a bit bored by it). Vocals are secondary for me, but I would like my voice sound big, mellow, sweet, silky and intimate. Neither too dark nor too bright. And if some occassional male and female vocalists come or spoken word recording is needed, it also should serve well ...

I am very curious .... Have no idea which one I will choose ...
C/G
Lives for gear

ISedlacek, a cool and cheap alternative to try as well is a Gefell M582 tube mic with an RFT/Gefell UM70 capsule. Has the M7/tube magic at a very affordable price. I paid $800 US for a refurbished one with sd nickle capsule and new Drefahl Audio DN221 power supply + $250 for a used UM70 ($550 for a new one) capsule. I had the mic converted to accept thread-on capsules. I use them for absolutely everything. They are my favorite mics out of all that I own.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
ISedlacek, a cool and cheap alternative to try as well is a Gefell M582 tube mic with an RFT/Gefell UM70 capsule. Has the M7/tube magic at a very affordable price. I paid $800 US for a refurbished one with sd nickle capsule and new Drefahl Audio DN221 power supply + $250 for a used UM70 ($550 for a new one) capsule. I had the mic converted to accept thread-on capsules. I use them for absolutely everything. They are my favorite mics out of all that I own.
Sounds interesting, but being rather non-technical type, I prefer new, ready-made well-built things than some archeological assemblies ...
Old 16th March 2006 | Show parent
Mastering Moderator

I thought the UM75 was a limited edition (limited to 75 mics that is...) and all sold by now!

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek
Well, these two very kids will visit me on Friday. I will have to choose one of them as my new all round vocal microphone (sold U87 ai today, being a bit bored by it). Vocals are secondary for me, but I would like my voice sound big, mellow, sweet, silky and intimate. Neither too dark nor too bright. And if some occassional male and female vocalists come or spoken word recording is needed, it also should serve well ...

I am very curious .... Have no idea which one I will choose ...
Good luck. Please let us know how you make out. I'd be interested in reading your comments.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo
I thought the UM75 was a limited edition (limited to 75 mics that is...) and all sold by now!

rumors are around telling it will be a regular mic.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo

I got a serial number in the high 60's just six months ago from Mercenary. I've also heard the "it may become a regular product" rumor, but who knows.

Enjoy!
- Kevin
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek
Sounds interesting, but being rather non-technical type, I prefer new, ready-made well-built things than some archeological assemblies ...

I had an M-582 with M71 capsule. There is nothing assembled about it, it is a fantastic tube microphone of the "U67" variety that you can find for about a grand. And sounds fabulous.
Old 19th March 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

To the original enquiry, I got a UM900 when they first came out based on conversations with Jerry Graham and Alan Silverman (I believe he did many of Judy Collins' recordings). At that time Mr. Silverman compared it favourably to an M49.

I purchased the UM900 to record voice and acoustic guitar and did two albums with it before I traded it for studio time to a professional studio. I found it to be aesthetically pleasing, clear, intimate, interesting, dimensional, and effective. Not as lovely as a CMV563 that I had, but still musical.

I had been pondering the Bottle at the time of my UM900 purchase, but it was notably more expensive (no longer the case), and that was a factor.

I have had virtually no personal experience with the Bottle, but I can relay a story told to me by Paul at Odyssey Pro Sound - a fellow came in and tried the Bottle and a well-maintained U47, preferred the Bottle, but bought the Neumann because it was more what he had expected to purchase. I believe this is in some degree a testament to the quality of the Bottle.
Perhaps this may be of use as you ponder your selection.
Old 19th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have two UM900's ha.
They sound mighty fantastic as drum overheads. My vocal recordings have gotten better tenfold since purchasing these babies. I still want something else though. Not quite sure what. Maybe a pair of U67's... and a pair of Coles 4040's... but thats for another thread.
Old 28th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1
Can you tell us more about the 930 ? i use the 900 alot, and im very happy with the way that bad boy sounds.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/64930-microtech-gefell-um930.html
📝 Reply