The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SDC question Condenser Microphones
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

SDC question

Well, I just learned a lesson today.

SDC > LDC for acoustic guitar.

Many of you probably already knew that. However, I thought as long as I used expensive LDC's, then they would sound better than a cheap SDC. The problem is, my good LDC's sound too warm. Thus, muddying up the sound of my wonderful sounding J-45. I plugged in an old AKG C1000, (which I admit, I thought was a piece of crap), into a BAE 312, and what came through my headphones was incredible. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I plugged in all my good mics to hear the difference. Sure enough, the SDC was the best mic for the job, and I'm pretty sure the API pre doesn't hurt anything.

What I would like to know is, what SDC's are you using for acoustic? I'm guessing that the C1000 isn't what you would normally think of as a great sounding SDC. Are there any in the Sub $500 range that would be better? I've read the AKG C451 is good for this.
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Nut

SD Mic Shootout

This is a small diaphragm shoot-out on acoustic guitar, it's a good read.
I've been using an old gefell m582/m70, sounds amazing on my acoustic.
(In combination with a beyer ribbon or even a md441.)
Recently I acquired a pair of oktava mk012's, for the low price they are very decent on acoustic guitar.
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Sm-81 is beautiful for this. I use km84's usually but when needed I go to an sm-81. By the time I get done a mix I can have a hard time telling which I used. This is a way under rated mic. I use them on snare and toms as well.
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

Oktava's are ok.

So too are the Beyerdynamic MC530's.

Any clips?
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Allthough I didn't use a AKG C1000 for more than 15 years or so, there's some love for them.. out there. After all, if you like the sound you get, nothing's wrong. I often try my AKG C451 or the Sennheiser 441.
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul999 View Post
Sm-81 is beautiful for this. I use km84's usually but when needed I go to an sm-81. By the time I get done a mix I can have a hard time telling which I used. This is a way under rated mic. I use them on snare and toms as well.
Also the PG-81 is pretty good (isn't that what the PG stands for?heh) on a budget, they are about half the price, but have a little less in the high range. I use a PG-81 to close mic near where the neck joins the body, and an LDC at the bridge/lower bout area, blend and pan to taste.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search