The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
hiring a free-lance singer for a couple hours for demos?
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Maniac

hiring a free-lance singer for a couple hours for demos?

I've only produced electronic music by myself in my bedroom. I've got a couple of tracks with lyrics and would like to get a singer in to record so I've got some vocals to work with. It wouldn't be releasable quality stuff - recording would be a $200 mic in my apt.

What's a recommendation for doing this? Do I just post an ad on Craigslist? I live near Juilliard so was wondering if it'd be feasible to get a student in?

Any ideas on what I should be looking to pay? I don't want to insult anybody nor overpay by too much. This is material that would be shared with friends and family and possibly posted on youtube. I would like somebody who could actually sing a little bit though.
Old 10th February 2011
If you're not going to be marketing it at all, you shouldn't have to pay too much. But whatever amount is agreed upon, you should have a simple contract just to be safe. You're paying a studio performer/musician for their services, and that payment serves as final compensation for that performance. As a result, the singer has given up their copyright (sound recording) in that particular performance, and has no further claim to it no matter WHAT may happen. As long as you are the one writing the lyrics and melody, that's pretty much all there is to it.

I'm pretty sure you could find a standard contract for this online.
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Nut

In NYC? Post on CL... you'll get a plethora of replies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search