The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
$10,000 to spend on console
Old 20th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd go for either a tonelux or a portico rack.........you wont get too many channels tho'

cheers
Old 21st June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would look into a Ghost
Old 5th July 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
D& R Orion for sale

If anyone's interested in my D & R Orion board, let me know asap as I need to move it fast. It sounds great, is in excellent shape, has lot's of featrues including patchbay and automation. I have pics and specs available upon request. I can give a very fair price as I'm in a pinch.

thanks,

[email protected]
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm in bad shape financially, at the moment.
But, my studio is functioning, so I still want to get a console.
It could happen in the next few weeks, if I'm lucky.
I dunno but if you can't afford it and you can work without it.... I'd try to stay out of too much (if any) debt if at all possible.

I just picked up an older Soundcraft 2400 which sounds ok (except for the mic pres), somewhere around $4k. But I've put in about 30 hours of tech work into it and about $800 in new electronic bits. Wire and connectors to get everything hooked together is at least $1000, and that took me about 20 hours. I'm about a third done cleaning switches, faders, replacing capacitors, upgrading a few of the op-amps, upgrading the power supply...

I've seen MCI 636's go for $6k to $8k. Older NE5534 op-amps everywhere in the ones that I've seen.

If you get an older desk, hope you are handy with a soldering iron because the maintenance can be substantial.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Behringer Eurodesk 32 channel analog mixer. $700 bucks. That'll leave you with $9,300 for other equipment.
Old 8th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I thought the Trident 65 desk sounded pretty muddy. It needs alot of opamp upgrades & PSU upgrades to sound decent. The Trident boards with the transformers in them sound better to me. Have you thought of a Amek BC3. I have one & think it sounds fantastic. This board definitely has pre's designed with Rupert Neve's TLA circuit. They're hard to find though and they run pretty hot. The EQ section isn't that great but it's functional and does basic stuff OK.
Old 9th July 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin
I thought the Trident 65 desk sounded pretty muddy. It needs alot of opamp upgrades & PSU upgrades to sound decent. The Trident boards with the transformers in them sound better to me.
I had a Trident Series 24 (same modules as the Series 65) and I agree that the pre's were a bit dark but I still loved it. The EQ was wonderfully musical. When I moved to a different studio I had to sell my Trident because it didn't fit in the new space. I really miss that console, some of my best tones came out of that console.

For the last 5+ years I've been using a D&R Orion (as others have mentioned). Yes, it's a neutral console. The pre's have a high headroom and an extremely low noise floor. The EQ is surgical so I mostly use it as a subtractive EQ. My only complaints about the console is not being able to use the phase switch during mixing (it's placed on the mic input), and there isn't a pad on the inputs.

A year ago I was looking into the new Sytek/Neotek Elan custom built consoles... I'd get the most bang for the buck with that. Sure, for a new one directly from Sytek might be a little more than you have to spend but for me, that's the console I'd get for myself.

Like I said I also miss having a Trident console and you can find them used for a steal these days (a Series 65 or 24). Mine did have a PSU upgrade to minimize the "humming problem".

-- Adam Lazlo
Old 9th July 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Different strokes....... I found that the only thing a 65 series Trident had in common with an 80 series was the name. One of the worst "pro" consoles I ever worked on. Complete lack of headroom and NOISEY to the point of being almost unuseable in the "digital" world. Even though I was only overdubbing vocals (thru and external pre - the internals were unuseable), I couldn't wait to get off of it.

Re: the D&R's. I've owned a Triton, two Orion's, two OrionX's and a Vision. I currently still own an OrionX and a Vision.

The OrionX is - as studjo stated - a 16 buss console - with the nice feature of 4 floating subgroups that make for a very versatile console. The standard Orion is an 8 bus console with 4 of the subgroups that "float". They are extremely reliable and over the last 15 years or so, I think I could count the break down problems I've had easily on one hand. The factory is still in biz and the same people (Duco and Jan) are designing for them. They are responsive to users with problems.

There's no doubt that they are "neutral", but the trend these days seems to be putting the "color" on when you track with outboard pre's, EQ's and compressors. If that's your "thing" then the D&R's will serve you very well. Duco de Rijck's (sp?) philosophy is a very "audiophile" type of philosophy for consoles and lends itself to a high bandwidth, low phase shift, low noise floor type of design.

For those who are automating "in the box" and going "out of the box" and running their faders at nominal gain to regain analog warmth, the Orion or any D&R for that matter is perhaps the #1 reasonably (under $80K) way to go. The noise floor will allow for 48 or more faders to be open and have the noise floor waaaay down there. A trident 65 or soundcraft 6000 or amek console of that vintage would add so much noise as to be unuseable. Better to go for a small summing type of mixer. But if you need aux sends, EQ and routing, the D&R will serve you well in this type of envrionment.
Old 30th July 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Neve 5100 Value/Quality?

I'm looking at a Neve 5100 ("Baby Neve")
It has 12 mono ch's with pre's and 12 stereo ch's
4 band eq, limiters, etc
It was recapped two years ago and just needs 20 or so misc switches.
Any thoughts on price, quality etc, aprreciated.
Feel free to email me at
[email protected]
Thanks,
Geoff.
Old 30th July 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane666666
Sorry to hijack the thread yet again but

I've been thinking about replacing the Roland VM7200 mixer in my midi room with a digital X-Bus. All 94 inputs are used for Gigastudio, Logic Pro, tons of synths. As far as I can tell it would cost around $20,000 to outfit the X-Bus with this many inputs from the usual dealers. How much did you pay for yours and where did you buy it?

Thanks,

Jef
have you used a DXB at all? i recently spent several months in a room outfitted with an early model X.200 ...mackie replaced the board no questions asked twice in approx. 4 months because of unknown instant death syndrome. Actually, the first DXB was glitchy and the screens would never calibrate, and it locked up constantly...mackie sent a new one. it was pretty funny the second time...we rebooted the DXB because it froze, and upon startup it said "Going to Sleep Now" and turned itself off. called mackie...new DXB overnight air shipping.

And after all that, sonically it is just "ok"
πŸ“ Reply