The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live backing track help?!? Audio Interfaces
Old 9th February 2011
Here for the gear

Live backing track help?!?

Hey, I have seen similar posts to this but unfortunately I don't really understand them and want someone to help me specifically

Okay so my band are getting quite a few gigs nowadays, and we are looking to add some more texture into the band. We have made backing tracks in Logic with all the audio tracks and cues along with all the tempo changes.

I'm not sure about what we do now to use the tracks live and what equipment we need. I want to send just the audio tracks to go through the PA and the click, audio tracks and cues into all of the bands IEMS.

Help Please.
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Maniac

can you simplify things by sending the click / track to just the drummer?

that way you can make a simple stereo mp3 :

L - track to go to PA
R - track to go to drummer (backing + click)

play it off an ipod, split the L+R into 2 feeds, DI into the PA, drummer has a small headphone amp.

actually, it wouldnt be that hard if you already have the IEM system - just feed the R side to the IEM mix instead of just the drummer
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

One easy and least complicated and controlled way to do it is to pan all your tracks to one side and the click to the other. Then put the song on an iPod. Then coming out of the iPod you would need a stereo 1/8" to a split mono 1/4"s. You then plug both of those into two separate DI's and then come out of the parallels on each DI into a channel on a little Behringer mixer or similar cheap mixer for the drummer. You would send the balanced signal from the DI's to FOH and the unbalanced parallel sends to the drummers mixer. At that point the drummer has his own personal control and arms length to both the click and track. That's important because if he can't hear the click it's all over. Also by doing it that way the other members of your band can choose to have each in their monitor mixes as well. My rig is a little more in depth but I might be able to grab a picture before the next show and post or something.
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

So in happysmusic's example above, what is fed to the PA is simply a mono mix? No way of doing a stereo feed to the FOH and a click to the drummer at the same time?
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

you prolly have to bring your laptop, an interface with multi outputs and good monitoring for drummer, if your drummer cant hear it its going to fall apart real fast. I did sound one time for abe vigoda and they started utilizing backing tracks at this show via a sampler, I had to really blast the drummers monitor for him to hear. But from I understand the drummer couldnt really hear the monitor because it was so loud it became saturated noise. This other band I can recall used a digi 002 and utilized all 8 outputs into the system, some outputs were used for monitors and other FOH.

in example of the digi oo2 or similar

output 1. drummers monitor with cues and clicks
2. vocalists monitor with some cues and stuff, different than drummers,
3. keyboardists monitor mix
4. bass players monitor mix
5.Foh left synths n stuff
6. foh right synths n stuff
7. foh left 2 drumachines etc.
8. foh right 2 drumachines etc.
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

Sorry I didn't elaborate much. I'm new to gearslutz and I was also trying to type that on my phone so that made it a little harder to elaborate. Tranquilo is correct. The only way to do more than the split mono would be to have an interface that has multiple outputs on it. You would then use protools or Logic or Ableton and assign each track to a different output or a different pair of outputs if the track is stereo.
If you do decide to do it that way it's very important that you have your own sound guy or someone who can really mix all those separate tracks to know what's going on and what it's supposed to sound like which is the one advantage to having the premixed mono tracks.
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you for the answers...Does anyone know of any good audio interfaces to use with multiple output that won't burn a huge hole in my pocket? And how would I go about sending each track to different outputs in Logic Pro 8...I am aware of sends using the bus 1 etc. system but I thought this was to send to put effects on a group of instruments?

Sorry I am a bit of N00B, just took Music Tech at A level so I am trying to understand as much as possible
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

Would this work as the interface? I just want something that we can use to test it and then by pro equipment when we know it works...

Motu 2408 Mk I Expansion Audio Interface on eBay (end time 11-Feb-11 10:56:26 GMT)
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

I've used the M-Audio Profire 610 for this purpose and it works great. It's small and portable and has 8 outputs on it.
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Head

we perform w/ tracks every other friday or so here in north hollywood. Our setup is a bit more elaborate, but you basically just need a laptop (or ipod) pumping out your stereo tracks to the mixer and get a long headphone cable to feed your drummer the tracks from the mixer board (probably does not need 'click' unless there are a lot of long rhythmic breaks in the music).

In our case we use Ableton Live. I have backing tracks and an additional bass track coming out Native Instruments' 'Audio 2 DJ' usb interface. It has 2 stereo outputs. One side we send just the bass to some onstage speakers (since we have no bass player) and the other we split to 2 stereo signals. One goes to the house DJ dance system, and the other to the house PA system. Our drummer has headphones coming from an aux on the PA system.
Old 11th February 2011
Here for the gear

Well we plan on using just little bits in the backing track for adding texture to our live sound so I guess a click would be kind of important seen as there will be long areas where the backing track will not be making sound.

Would the audio interface I linked to above work? I'm just looking for something cheap and cheerful to get us started and then upgrade the gear.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search