The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Saffire 6 or Fast Track Ultra Audio Interfaces
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Head

Saffire 6 or Fast Track Ultra

I dont know what to do! Ive heard great things about both, but the main difference is that the saffire 6 is only 1.1 usb and the Fast track Ultra is 2.
Will latency be a big problem if Im only recording one track at a time? I'd like to believe my laptop is at an ok speed. But I also want to avoid spending the extra $100 for the FTU if I can get around 3ms with the saffire. thoughts anyone?

Saffire 6-$200
Fast Track Ultra- $300
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Head

Neither. With your budget, and obvious usb limitations, I'd recommend the Lexicon U22. It's usb 2.0, with better conversion & preamps than either of the units you listed, and it looks awesome I picked mine up for $115 off of ebay.
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Head

ahhh I've heard mostly good things about the u22. wish i could find it for that price tho; their mostly going for $250
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Maniac

I have a Fast Track Ultra as a second portable interface and I'm quite happy with it. My main unit is a RME Fireface 800 with Apogee Rosetta 800 and an Apogee Big Ben. The Fast Track Ultra is one of the cheapest interfaces I've seen with a built in DSP mixer, and it works quite well perhaps even better then the higher end 2626 DSP mixer. You can setup each output pair as a totally separate monitor mix, and the box itself has two built in headphone amp outputs though they aren't really loud but are usable. You can simply hook the unit up via line out to a separate headphone amp if you need more power. The monitoring latency is very minimal, and I'm used to the basically undetectable 1.6ms monitoring latency of the RME FF800 so I'd notice it if it was worse than that. The Fast Track also allows some basic reverb just for monitoring while doing takes, which some singers may appreciate for a vibe. Personally I don't monitor through the DAW program and rely on interaces that have built in DSP mixers. With that approach latency is very minimal and virtually Pro Tools HD level, perhaps even a tad better. Hard to beat the Fast Track Ultra in that price range, and the mic pres are pretty decent as long as you don't need a ton of gain.
Old 7th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarpicker View Post
I have a Fast Track Ultra as a second portable interface and I'm quite happy with it. My main unit is a RME Fireface 800 with Apogee Rosetta 800 and an Apogee Big Ben. The Fast Track Ultra is one of the cheapest interfaces I've seen with a built in DSP mixer, and it works quite well perhaps even better then the higher end 2626 DSP mixer. You can setup each output pair as a totally separate monitor mix, and the box itself has two built in headphone amp outputs though they aren't really loud but are usable. You can simply hook the unit up via line out to a separate headphone amp if you need more power. The monitoring latency is very minimal, and I'm used to the basically undetectable 1.6ms monitoring latency of the RME FF800 so I'd notice it if it was worse than that. The Fast Track also allows some basic reverb just for monitoring while doing takes, which some singers may appreciate for a vibe. Personally I don't monitor through the DAW program and rely on interaces that have built in DSP mixers. With that approach latency is very minimal and virtually Pro Tools HD level, perhaps even a tad better. Hard to beat the Fast Track Ultra in that price range, and the mic pres are pretty decent as long as you don't need a ton of gain.
+1000. I subscribe to every word.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search