The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Alesis SR 18 Drum Machine (optimal panning of audio outputs for recording)
Old 28th January 2011
Here for the gear

Alesis SR 18 Drum Machine (optimal panning of audio outputs for recording)

Hello All,

This is probably a rudimentary question: The SR 18 machine has limited outputs (Aux L/R, Main-R, Main-L, Phones). What might be the optimal set-up for recording in terms of panning/assigning individual drum pads to these four outputs?

My thought would be "kick" panned to Aux L/R and "snare" to Phones with the rest of the kit going out stereo through Main-R and Main-L? Is this even possible, or is there a better solution?

Is there a "Midi out" solution to this? Can individual drum pad sounds be isolated to invidually-assigned Midi sub-channels? Is there such a thing as a "multi-channel Midi bus unit" to funnel the 12 pads/sounds through via the SR 18's midi out?

Appreciate any thoughts or solutions.

Thanks a lot.

Jroxx7
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

One of the few drum machines I don't own (love to collect, sample and sell 'em) So I'm not familiar with it's specs, however! If you recorded your performance in the sr 18, you could always midi time sync it and track it out one part at a time. Would take a gazzilion years, but copy the original performance to as many tracks (in the sr18) as there are instruments, and delete all voices except the sound you want to keep per track, then just track each part individually to your daw (midi enabled of course, so they sync perfectly). OMG as I typed that, I realize what a pain in the a$$ it would be. Or you could just trust your judgment of your panning and levels and commit the whole drum part as one

Typing this helps me remember why the oberheim and linndrums are still so bad a$$ (individ. outs)
Old 29th January 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply. Yep, that would be a hell of a lot of work. I'm buying a Tascam Neo 2488 digital recorder and it has some pretty extensive midi capabilities. There's got to be a way these two machines will be able to communicate. I'll figure this out once I have it.

Thanks for posting.

jroxx7
Old 29th January 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroxx7 View Post
Hello All,

1.This is probably a rudimentary question: The SR 18 machine has limited outputs (Aux L/R, Main-R, Main-L, Phones). What might be the optimal set-up for recording in terms of panning/assigning individual drum pads to these four outputs?

MAIN OUT LEFT=KICK
MAIN OUT RIGHT=SNARE
AUX L = High Hat
AUX R= Toms all together, you can get the blend correct by adjusting the volume on the IND PAD that the TOM is on
PHONES duplicate the MAIN OUTS

DO a second pass to record your cymbals using the AUX L/R. You will have to change the DRum pad output assignment of the others back to the MAIN outs so they are not coming into those outputs. Youll just have to SYNC the SR18 to your Recorder/DAW, no biggie

2. My thought would be "kick" panned to Aux L/R and "snare" to Phones with the rest of the kit going out stereo through Main-R and Main-L? Is this even possible, or is there a better solution?

KICK is MONO, no need to do stereo. Only ones Id do stereo would be the TOMS and or Cymbals
See above, you can assign things on the PAD outputs anyway you like, just depends what you need to isolate for your mix or not. IF you want EVERY piece of the kit on their own AUDIO track then youll have to make a few passes while the SR18 is synced up. No biggie really. Ive dont this a lot and its quick once you do it a few times

3. Is there a "Midi out" solution to this? Can individual drum pad sounds be isolated to invidually-assigned Midi sub-channels?

EACH pad has its OWN midi note number assigned to it. THe SR18 itself will spit all those midi notes down ONE midi channel that you select as the global midi channel. Doesnt matter as the issue is the lack of AUDIO outputs on the unit itself. Most drum boxes are 4 outputs total, nothing new there

4. Is there such a thing as a "multi-channel Midi bus unit" to funnel the 12 pads/sounds through via the SR 18's midi out?

The MIDI output operates on ONE GLobal midi channel which is selectable 1 through channel 16. So , One cable transmitting everything won it with the each PAD having its own note number if you will, see #3 above

Appreciate any thoughts or solutions.

Thanks a lot.

Jroxx7
Hope this helps you
Old 2nd February 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the response Shanabit

Thank's a lot for that informative breakdown. I will definitely follow your advice on this and go for the "sinc" approach with multiple passes. And yes, that is what I want to do: isolate each drum pad sound to its own channel on the recorder.

Do you happen to own an Alesis SR18?

Rock On,

Jroxx7

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search