The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Electro Voice RE320
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Addict

New Electro Voice RE320

Didn't see this on here anywhere...
Looks cool, with a switch setting tailored for kick drum. Around $300 street. WATCH OUT BELOW!!!

Electro-Voice RE-320 Premium Dynamic Microphone
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear
One other post mentioned this, which gave me my first look.

I'm excited. I love the RE-20, and having one variant which could be an even better kick mic would be swell. There are still some unanswered questions about quality, and the "normal" frequency response appears to be a bit different from the RE-20. And why does the spec sheet show a line for proximity effect? Are the variable-D properties the same as the RE-20 or not?

Also, not going to lie, the sexy black paint job is awesome.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm excited to check this thing out. I've made a lot of friends in the EV RE line, and this looks pretty interesting. I agree, though, I'm curious if it's not a variable D design like the rest of the range. Not like that kills it for me, I'm just wondering.
Old 25th January 2011
Here for the gear

very cool, look forward to hearing it next to the re 20!!! i like the black too, if red makes cars go faster, black makes mics sound better... scientific factheh
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Addict

"EV's patented Variable-D® proximity control ensures pure and natural tone."
HMMM...
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, double Hmmm. Seems like there's a pretty mondo proximity effect on the plots. The materials call it out as variable D, but according to the plots it doesn't reduce proximity effect to anything like the degree that it does in the RE20.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy View Post

Yeah, double Hmmm. Seems like there's a pretty mondo proximity effect on the plots. The materials call it out as variable D, but according to the plots it doesn't reduce proximity effect to anything like the degree that it does in the RE20.
Hmmm again.

What those patterns are meant to show is the amount of off-axis coloration, not proximity effect. (...Even though they usually seem to go hand-in-hand.)

Even still, those charts show pretty damn good performance with respect to off-axis coloration.

I've not seen patterns matching much closer with respect to frequency than this (out of a cardioid, anyway).

Old 25th January 2011
Gear Nut

I can't wait for some comparisons on this, for both vocals and kick.

The RE-20 was gonna be my next mic purchase, but if this sounds as good or better then I can save a hundred.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

re 20 has been turning into one of my favorite mics.... interesting that this new mic is LESS expensive...
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Hmmm again.

What those patterns are meant to show is the amount of off-axis coloration, not proximity effect. (...Even though they usually seem to go hand-in-hand.)

Even still, those charts show pretty damn good performance with respect to off-axis coloration.

I've not seen patterns matching much closer with respect to frequency than this (out of a cardioid, anyway).

Hmmm .. . oh never mind.

We may have been looking at different things. I was looking at the frequency response curves for the mic at this link http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefile...000355rev1.pdf which show the frequency response popping by about 10 db at 100 cycles when the mic is within 1 cm of the source.

Having checked the RE20's curve to make sure I'm not losing my mind, http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefile...ta%20Sheet.pdf, I confirmed that, as I remembered and had experienced, the RE20 doesn't have a proximity effect curve.

I do agree that the new mic has nice polar plots, and I anticipate it will be a good performer on drum kits and other areas where the off-axis response is really key.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Hmmm .. . oh never mind.

We may have been looking at different things. I was looking at the frequency response curves for the mic at this link http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefile...000355rev1.pdf which show the frequency response popping by about 10 db at 100 cycles when the mic is within 1 cm of the source.

Having checked the RE20's curve to make sure I'm not losing my mind, http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefile...ta%20Sheet.pdf, I confirmed that, as I remembered and had experienced, the RE20 doesn't have a proximity effect curve.

I do agree that the new mic has nice polar plots, and I anticipate it will be a good performer on drum kits and other areas where the off-axis response is really key.
Interesting...

Is it possible that these guys have come up with a mic that has little off-axis coloration, but with a useful amount of proximity effect?

That WOULD be an interesting development.

Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's an interesting mic on paper, and I'm very curious to hear it. Different than an RE20, for sure, and different can open new possibilities.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:

Yeah, it's an interesting mic on paper, and I'm very curious to hear it. Different than an RE20, for sure, and different can open new possibilities.
Indeed.

By the way, where in that link are you seeing proximity?

All the charts I saw were polar response. (Maybe I'm blind?)

Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed.

By the way, where in that link are you seeing proximity?

All the charts I saw were polar response. (Maybe I'm blind?)

Page 2, upper left hand corner has the Frequency Response charts, one for the normal response, one for the "kick" eq curve. Both plots have, in addition to the main response curve, a dashed line labeled "1cm" that shows the low end response of the mic going up very significantly at that distance from the source. The two lines diverge at about 1k hertz, and the apogee of the proximity-affected curve is at about 100 hertz.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Page 2, upper left hand corner has the Frequency Response charts, one for the normal response, one for the "kick" eq curve. Both plots have, in addition to the main response curve, a dashed line labeled "1cm" that shows the low end response of the mic going up very significantly at that distance from the source. The two lines diverge at about 1k hertz, and the apogee of the proximity-affected curve is at about 100 hertz.
Right you are, sir!

(I see that now.)

...Which brings me back to:
Hmmm...

Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

LOL!

Hmmmm, indeed!
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

The response on that RE320 is very similar to the RE27.

The 'kick-eq' switch response looks like an 868.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post

Yeah, I saw this at the show and thought it was a black RE27. The vents look pretty similar.
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Addict

Anyone catch when it'll be out?
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chout View Post

I asked my friend (who works on the RE20 production line) about the release, she says no-one at the USA factory has said a peep about the RE320 microphone. ???
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:

It looks like EV may be responding to the market for internally-equalized mics for kick.

I have heard of people putting one of these:

(←link)

...on an RE-20 or a '27.

Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It looks like EV may be responding to the market for internally-equalized mics for kick.

(←link)

...on an RE-20 or a '27.

Ouch, $99..... I'm sure you can reach similar results with a simple ITB eq and an RE20.

12ax7 I'd like to see a swept sine response. Anybody have one of those handy to test quick?
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:

Ouch, $99..... I'm sure you can reach similar results with a simple ITB eq and an RE20.
Perhaps so.

...But it will not be as quick.

In tracking, there is much to be said for pulling up the fader, and it just "sounds right".

That being said, I was always just a little leery of having someone else pick my EQ curves for me. (I guess it's just my "inner nerd" showing its ugly ass again.)

Quote:
12ax7 I'd like to see a swept sine response. Anybody have one of those handy to test quick?
Hell, I don't think I could even come up with a swept-sine chart for the RE-20, and it's been around for ages. (Do you have one?)

Hmmm...

Has anybody reading this thread actually even tried the '320?

(Is it even available yet?)

Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's interesting info. Have you heard the RE320?
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's interesting info. Have you heard the RE320?
No, my opinion is purely speculation, and only judging from experience (what my ears hear vs what those charts say)

for anyone that has an Earthworks KP1 and room eq wizard, or some other testing method, we'd appreciate a plot.
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Addict

Front End Audio has an arrival date for march 14.
Old 28th January 2011
500 series nutjob

i may need to check one out!
Old 28th January 2011
Quote:

(←link)

...on an RE-20 or a '27.

interesting.
(and of course very different from any EQ, since it's placed before the mic amp - and so is part of the mic-amp circuit - the ITB eq idea just totally flew over my head LOL)

love my RE-20 btw... but have no need for a(nother) kick drum mic.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

love my RE-20 btw... but have no need for a(nother) kick drum mic.
Okay, who are you and what have you done with the REAL GS Moderator?!

Who ever heard of a GearSlut who has no need for a new mic?

(...And a moderator, no less)

Old 28th January 2011
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Interesting, I love the 868. I bought my 868 years ago before I ever sold gear and there wasn't anywhere around here stocking the mic. I called E/V before ordering somewhere online, and the tech I spoke with essentially described it as a kind of pre-EQ'd RE20. It is still a first reach for me. Not a widely talked about mic...but it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chout View Post
Mid-March.

War
📝 Reply