The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Electro Voice RE320
Old 17th August 2011
Gear Nut

Just got the pair on demo - Used it for kick with succes !
Attached Thumbnails
New Electro Voice RE320-re-320-demo-pair.jpg  
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Rondel, you seem to be the first with both those mics at hand!! Congrats
Be sure to put them head to head and tell us about it!

Quick question though... Did your 320 come with a simple pouch?! Mine came with a proper softcase just like the one above the RE-20. Just asking, as sometimes demo units are sent off, and the shop-gobblins keep the leftovers all for themselves...
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Nut

I've tried both mic's, mostly for kickdrum live, but also on bass amp and lead vocal live. The 320 has a verry high output level and even with the MH3's 20db pad (mh3 is the standard console for mid size venue's in europe) it sometimes distorted. It sounds good with powerfull low end. On lead vocal the pushed low end was a problem on the wedge in the 300hz region.
I compared both at home and found the previously discussed differences:
The re20 is flatter, more natural en less pushed (modified?). A bit more sub also...
The re320 has a verry high output, the filter is not as effective as you expect and flat is't flat. And the most drastic difference is in the internal shockmount. The re320 is extremely sensitive to contact noise, and that's a bitch if you set up the mic for recording low end (kick drum)…

So I returned the 320 and invested in the real classic re20. I'll eq the kick myself and can use it now for vocals and brass too :-)
Old 22nd November 2011
Here for the gear

i have owned 2 of these since they first came out and i love them. I have used them on guitar amps mainly for live use and a few recording sessions. Where these mics shine is on a kick drum though. I first tried it on a kick while recording and it sounded good but the actual kick drum wasn't so good. A ton of doctoring to the eq and compression and i got it sounding pretty good. I work at a church and this weekend I put one of my re320s on the kick drum in our worship center (650 person venue) and WOW! It made the kick really stand out in the mix and have a wonderful presence. I ran all weekend with no eq on it at all just straight mic. I loved it and got multiple compliments on the drums. it didn't hurt that the band was from out of town and were one of the best bands we have had in a long time. just my .02 I am actually going to GC today to pick one up for the church! That way I can have mine back. So in short i love it.
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Head

The problem I am having with my RE320 is that the mic seems to really open up with the lower frequenies. However, this happens with both the lower register on my Tenor sax as well as the Bari sax, so I wonder if it is the horn moreso than the mic. I would love to try the RE27 N/D for comparison. The RE320 is definitely the new Gold Standard for drums, however.
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I'm trying to decide if the RE320 is a great microphone or the greatness comes from the fact that it has a 13 decibel proximity bump on the low end where as the RE20 doesn't. I had my mind set to buy one and check it out, but I'm a bit apprehensive. The Variable-D configuration works very well with my RE20's to alleviate this bass build-up.

Still trying to decide.

Dennis
Old 31st March 2012
Gear Nut

..Bought mine and I have it right now.
Better than my sm58 no doubt
It is kinda like a sm7b/MD421. It sounds really good for loud singing and on the soft parts (for male vocal) too because of the bottom proximity effect. I don't really believe on the old stuff sounding better than the new. If you want to change the texture use an eq or some pre-amps. At 10 inches this mic sounds great right out of the box without any EQ and stuff. It is what I wanted... Very happy. Note : if you want to sing live the mouth on the mic I don't think it is the right choice for that. Better looking at a beta 58a in that case.

I think the main difference between the RE-20 and the RE-320 for the singing is the proximity effect. At 10 inches this mic sounds almost like the RE-20 but at 5 inches it is another mic. On the other side the re-20 sounds the same at 10 or 5 inches. If the re-20 fit your voice on the soft parts then stick with the RE-20 and use it live too.
Old 31st March 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Hmm..

Thought the RE320 sounds much closer to the fellow "neodymium" brighter version of the original MD421-the 421 MKII. The SM7 and vintage MD421 has a thicker tone than the 320.

A little biased here as I would have to use a de-esser with my brightcoog
voice with most neodymium mics like the 320 or 421 MKII.

Chris
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Very interesting.

I confess I haven't invested enough time on the 320 on vocals. Been sitting in front of the kick ! Guess its time to do do something about this.
Old 5th November 2012
Gear Maniac
re320 sucks. get a sm7b instead or a re20. do not get a re27 or re320

re320 is overly bassy even compared to a sm57. re20 is more natural sounding than the re27. there is no reason to buy either.
Old 5th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Interesting, I love the 868. I bought my 868 years ago before I ever sold gear and there wasn't anywhere around here stocking the mic. I called E/V before ordering somewhere online, and the tech I spoke with essentially described it as a kind of pre-EQ'd RE20. It is still a first reach for me. Not a widely talked about mic...but it should be.

Mid-March.

War
Agreed. My favorite on kick when I need a lot of low end(868). Still like the re20 from time to time, but the 868 comes out close to how I need it for a lot of mixes. Not sure I'd be interested in the 320 having the 868 and the re20. Maybe its better than both? I feel I have my bases covered between the 868, re20, atm25, and dare I say the ev666 for a throwback vibe. My interests are definitely perked though.
Old 5th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexon View Post
Maybe its better than both?
IMHO, absolutely NO
Old 5th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Got a pair of RE320s and they are excellent - especially on BDs with extra depth - records my 22x22 BD really accurately. Came in semi solid zippered cases too.
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexon View Post

[...] and dare I say the ev666 [...]
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear

I’ve been researching about dynamic mics recently, and the RE20 always cones up in those discussions sooner or later. So then I read on to find out something about the foam going bad from inside on older models? Ok, thinking to myself, better buy a new one rather than risk dealing with the foam issues.. But the EU price for a new RE20 is nuts right now, more than 700€!

So I’m thinking, this RE320 only costs half of that.. But is the consensus these days that the RE320 is no substitute for the og RE20?

I thought investing into high quality dynamic mics was supposed to be affordable..? haven’t even checked the prices of some of the other praised dynamics yet, but for 700€ you can buy a decent LDC ”clone” of many legends..
Old 6th November 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
So then I read on to find out something about the foam going bad from inside on older models?

I thought investing into high quality dynamic mics was supposed to be affordable..?

you can buy a decent LDC ”clone” of many legends..
Really great dynamic mic are seldom affordable. As to the foam issue, that is really not an issue as it is easily replaced. Any competent mic tech can do that.

And personally I would prefer a good dynamic to a cheap condenser clone.

Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky View Post
.. I think the main difference between the RE-20 and the RE-320 for the singing is the proximity effect. At 10 inches this mic sounds almost like the RE-20 but at 5 inches it is another mic. On the other side the re-20 sounds the same at 10 or 5 inches. If the re-20 fit your voice on the soft parts then stick with the RE-20 and use it live too.
Bumping this thread again to ask about something that's really had me scratching my head for a while now.
The RE-320 appears to have all the proximity effect of a typical directional mic.
But this doesn't seem to square with being a 'Variable-D design at all.
http://www.electrovoice.com/binary/R...DS_Rev%203.pdf
I'm a huge fan of EV (their amazing heritage, I have some great speakers and especially the RE-20's, RE-16's so I'm not here to 'bash.) But I wonder could this be simply a case of presenting a mic 'too look the part' of the RE20?
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Nut

I also was asking myself similar questions, Wayne...

And would like to see what people here think about this...

Does RE-320 really have that much proximity effect?...

And how is this possible with a 'Variable-D' design?...
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks Stewix. And I can't imagine them showing it does in the specs, if it didn't.
Interesting one thing that comes out of Shure's KSM-8 and 9 series 'speak is 'as the low proximity effect design allows for less presence boost traditionally used/needed to compensate for proximity effect.
:>)
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Nut

Yes Wayne, you're right...

But then you read some reviews on the internet, saying that RE-320 has almost no proximity effect (like his older brother RE-20), due to 'Variable-D' design, and you end up feeling confused...

What I tought was that maybe it has more proximity effect than a RE-20, but less proximity effect than, for example, an SM-58 (or something similar)...

But then, when I read threads like this one, it seems to me that it has the same (if not more, in some cases) proximity effect of other directional mics, like you wrote...

And as someone who doesn't own (and could not try) the mic, I end up being curious about its real proximity effect.

What's the truth about this?...
📝 Reply