The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Suggestions on re-amping drums in a warehouse Condenser Microphones
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Suggestions on re-amping drums in a warehouse

Hey all, I've recently done a solid recording with a band in a warehouse, with all 3 of them playing live together(proper separation of course). It sound great. However, room mics for the drums where out of the question so I was thinking about re-amping drums.

Please share your thoughts. It's typical 3pc rock. My plan was to take either one or two QSC K-10 PA speakers and blasting the drums through them in the warehouse with either a single mic(mono room mic) at a distance or a stereo pair. Also, debating whether I should I just have the snare and kick going through(gated) playback, and then compress in the mix nicely. Just subtle ambience.

Anyways, if you all had some experience in this please share.

Thanks!
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I don't have experience with this, but I am super jealous of the idea/availability and wanted to bump it up
I'm totally speculating, but how could it not sound amaaazing thumbsup
I would think one mic is sufficient.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Haha! I'll try to get pics together soon when the vocals and other overdubs are done. The warehouse is converted into an artists loft, used to be an old woodworking mill or something like that. Some of the tenants were able to get church pews and place them around the large main room, for the 'underground concerts'. Very cool place! Will share more soon....
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'd go for 2 mics rather than 1 if you can.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Addict

At the NAMM show. There were two drum replacement sample demos that I watched. It seemed that what is critically important is room quality and mic placement.

The reason one guy said he used a drum replacements is because the overheads and room mics don't usually sound professional on low budget recordings, and more and more artists are recording at home or in bad environments. This particular guy uses snare and BD replacements, mixed with the original. You end up with a quality recording that is still unique because it is mixed with the actual live drums.

I'm sure your goal is a big original sound, but I wouldn't rule out samples to augment what you have.

To attempt to answer your question, I'd put up a bunch of mics and multi-track them all, then decide what you want to keep.

You might want mono for bass and snare to keep them centered and focused, and stereo for toms and cymbals. You would do that in two passes. Sounds like fun!

~Jay
Old 25th January 2011
This sounds like fun. If it was me i would have several mics at different distances and places. The good thing is you can loop the drums then walk around and find a spot you like the whack a mic there. Some closer for a dryer sound some further for an ultra wet sound. Try guitar amps as welll the do great things to drums reducing the audio spectrum and giving quite a cool dry textured sound.

I guess you could do each drum separately but they won't react together in the same way. Why not try mixing something while using the pa. I guess doing snare/kick single or together is a given will probably give some control later on when mixing.

Pictures would be awesome and samples if you find the time. Thanks for sharing
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search