The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ribbon Mics - Interesting Sound Samples (wave)
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

Ribbon Mics - Interesting Sound Samples (wave)

Listen to this. Found it here: http://testing.holmerup.biz/mic_pretest/index_en.html

REMEMBER what can be read on the site: OBS!!! If you get distorsion when you listen to the WAV-files, it's not due to bad recordings - but rather that your player doesn't support 32-bit FP. Works fine in my Windows Media Player, problems though in my quite old Winamp.

It's links to sound samples in wave format of some ribbon mics. I find it very interesting. You have to Right Click and use "Save Target As".

Acoustic Guitar:

AEA R84 Guitar
Golden Age R1 ($256)
Royer R121 front
Golden Age R2 ($225)

---------------------

Vocals:
AEA R84
Golden Age R1
Royer R121 front
Golden Age R2

---------------------

Loudspeaker noise:
AEA R84
Golden Age R1
Royer R121 front
Golden Age R2

-----------------------

Cheers thumbsup ,
Hans
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

The vocals sounds nasty - who are these people? I can't comment on anything... I feel dizzy almost drunk.
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

Call an ambulance dim light or have a listen to what the mics can do.
Old 30th January 2006
Here for the gear

I feel ill. Can not judge the performance of any these mics from these samples. All of them sound lame in my ears.
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

******* fuuck

Old 30th January 2006
Here for the gear

I don't understand your reply to my post. (Jag förstår inte ditt svar till mitt inlägg.)
Old 30th January 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah what's up dude?
Old 31st January 2006
Gear Maniac

its bloody awful innit?
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

oh dear....vikings on a rampage....
heres one done on ribbons

edit...fun time is over
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

r0ck1r0ck2 - thanks for saving my night!
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

love the dim light...
wanna be an honorary swede..
Old 31st January 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck1r0ck2
love the dim light...
wanna be an honorary swede..
Reminds me of the time I spent 36 non-stop hours trying to clean up some tracks of a killer Steinway, classical music. Finally called the performer in for help. The piano was slightly out of tune, and my mics captured it perfectly. It's times like that when you need a $10 mic from Radio Shack, gives you an excuse.

Tune the guitar for christsakes
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

hmmm?
hey pm me if you wanna go out on a date...
i'm not like that..
i bring you flowers...
class...
thats what i got...
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Noone here understanding that these are microphone sound samples files. Awful performance I know, not me doing it.

I've heard alot on this forum and elsewhere when it comes to samples of different kinds, even serious attempts to mix. I appreciate it anyway when someone is trying to help or having something they want to share or get opinions of.

r0ck1r0ck2
Guess you can get in touch with the guy here:
http://testing.holmerup.biz/mic_pretest/index_en.html
I'm not interested

The AEA R84 are almost 4 times the price of the R1 and R2 and the Royer is even more. I think the R1 and R2 are doing very well.

Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrn
Awful performance
You got that right!
Old 5th February 2006
Gear Head

I don't understand the meaning of posting that link. You are testing a bunch of budget microphones, and you're obviously more found of them than anyone else in here seem to be. Correct me if i'm wrong but there seems to be a link at the very bottom directing us to a musicians retailer? Is that shop somehow related to this test, and the fact that he's actually selling these microphones? I'm not sure what you're trying to pull here, but if you want my opinion about these microphones and the sound I will give you the rate 2/10, and -10/10 for performance.
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

These are funny. Thanks.
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

NorthernDigStar,
Please read before posting. I'm not trying anything here but providing samples for the interested. That's the meaning with the links, samples.

"You are testing a bunch of budget microphones"
Again, please read before posting. I have nothing to do with the samples. Just thought that the budget mics stand up very well against the Royer and the AEA.

I think it's common sense to provide links to the source.
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

Matthew Murray,
Agree, but that's not the point here
Old 5th February 2006
Gear Head

I did do my reading, and to me it's actually clear that you're pushing for these budget microphones. I don't see any other reason for you posting those links. The only reason i'm not just ignoring you for possibly being a troll is that i'm taking this subject quiet serious. Microphones is perhaps THE one essential thing when it comes to recording. I don't know how you found your way to this forum with an attitued like that (less is more), but you're not making any friends by trying to lure a few members with this "test". And if you're asking me I would say you're the man behind the test, and also the site/shop.
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

NorthernDigStar

"I did do my reading, and to me it's actually clear that you're pushing for these budget microphones. I don't see any other reason for you posting those links."

And if you would be right. Would I be the only one here. I've been on this forum since 2003 and I decided to not have any links below my posts which is very common. Just tried to be helpful to guys like me not having thousands of $$$$ to put on gear still wanting to get a descent result....

"I don't know how you found your way to this forum with an attitued like that (less is more), but you're not making any friends by trying to lure a few members with this "test". And if you're asking me I would say you're the man behind the test, and also the site/shop."

You can believe whatever you want. Wish I had a shop making some money. I would be here all the time posting links to it making money.

By the way, I've ordered a pair of the R2's. Guess I'll have to stop making links to samples here.

Hans

(just original music)
www.hagen.nu
(just different colors)
www.hig.se/~hrn
Old 5th February 2006
Gear Head

Sweet, sweet. A drama queen. Well, I'll give that performance 10/10 at least. thumbsup
Old 6th February 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDigStar
I did do my reading, and to me it's actually clear that you're pushing for these budget microphones. I don't see any other reason for you posting those links. The only reason i'm not just ignoring you for possibly being a troll is that i'm taking this subject quiet serious. Microphones is perhaps THE one essential thing when it comes to recording. I don't know how you found your way to this forum with an attitued like that (less is more), but you're not making any friends by trying to lure a few members with this "test". And if you're asking me I would say you're the man behind the test, and also the site/shop.

Well, HE is not the guy selling that stuff.(unless he is driving 300 miles to work everyday.)

The guys selling these does have an add banner here, tough.

I cannot see what makes this post of samples different from any other post of samples.

What is your problem??
Relax a little, the original poster didn't do anything wrong.

And for the record, I prefer Coles.
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

the site and the tests make me sick! fuuck

If it was possible I would like to take the site owner and put him inside one of his cheap china's and send him away on a quick and dirty vaccation to never come back land.

This is too much even for me... I have only one ear the other one got blown away by listening to the dreadful singing... If I was a ribbon I would cry until corrosion.

Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

GODDAMIT YOU MADE DIM LIGHT SAD..!!!
ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!!

that's it...i'm turning this car around...
you're GRounded mister...
Old 7th February 2006
Lives for gear

dAMN I'm still sad as hell... What a mess. Thanks for the support r0ck1r0ck2!
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Maniac

Wow, that soprano has a vibrato like a police sirene. Slightly faster but as wide, eh?

My problems wasnt the performance though, you can still hear a short bit of whatever.
But most of it sounded nasal, and hyped at the top. But it wasnt just the budget stuff, they all sounded nasal & hyped to me.
Am i nuts?
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orville
Wow, that soprano has a vibrato like a police sirene. Slightly faster but as wide, eh?

My problems wasnt the performance though, you can still hear a short bit of whatever.
But most of it sounded nasal, and hyped at the top. But it wasnt just the budget stuff, they all sounded nasal & hyped to me.
Am i nuts?
No you are one of the good guys - keep it up because these samples are a joke to every ribbon builder.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

That is horrible singing. My houseplant just died.

Please remove the voices from the website before I call the FCC.
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

bwahahahahahaaaa heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search