The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elo Touchscreen Monitor
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Elo Touchscreen Monitor

I don't see much talk about these units. Anybody have any experience with these? Are they reliable? Multi-touch?
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Old 26th January 2011
Gear Guru

by all accounts they are solid and reliable. not generally multitouch.

I don't have one ... YET!
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Head

Hey Transcending,

Small world...I'm one of your customers (VCult)...

I have 2 Elo 1939L touch screens in a dual-monitor configuration. Mine are not multi-touch (I'm using XP Pro). Perhaps a future driver might allow multi-touch with W7 Pro...but...I've never looked into that, and I suspect it would not be possible.

The screens are heavy and very well built...more like a commercial unit. I've had zero problems in over 2 years of use. They require a USB connection to facilitate the touchscreen. I get a latency of about 20ms, so not good enough for drum pads if that is a potential application.

I use an absolutely brilliant donation-ware VSTI app called MidiPads. The combination of the touchscreens and MidiPads is fantastic...by far the best controller I've ever used. I've ditched my Remote SL, Kawai MM16 etc. for this setup.

MidiPads basically allows you to build your own controller templates (sliders, x/y pads, buttons, etc.) and route them to any midi parameter. (I have a very deep sample library and I control/play dozens of parameters in real-time with MidiPads and the Elo screens, but the possibilities are endless...I could literally run my entire DAW via MidiPads...)

So if you're into creating your own personalized MIDI touchscreen controller...download MidiPads and please throw a few ducats to the developer if you end up using it...thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

MidiPads

Let me know if there's anything more you'd like to know...

Cheers,
wellyouneednt
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses guys! Hey wellyouneednt, that's awesome, I hope you're loving it thumbsup
So I appreciate the details and I'm wondering in general if this touchscreen could help me replicate a control surface which is why I was looking for a solid multi-touch screen before looking into actual control surfaces. Definitely more for controlling a mix than anything else. Are you saying that with Vista or W7, it's possibly multi-touch?
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Head

Hi T,

I said that I have not tried multi-touch within W7, but I suspect that it does not work...but you'll have to research this on your own because it does not apply for my applications.

You will need a DAW that has a full featured MIDI implementation. In my case I'm using Reaper which allows for almost unlimited MIDI control of the GUI. I previously used Cubase which was also well set up for MIDI control.

I've attached 2 example screenshots of templates that I use on the touchscreens via MidiPads. The 1st one gives me 8 mixer 'blocks'...the 2nd is a template I use for controlling soft synths. You can label-color-size-place-iconify the 'controller objects' to your liking as well as resize the entire layout from tiny to full-screen. You can have over a hundred 'controller objects' per instance...but you can open up extra instances if necessary.

Keep in mind that the sliders/buttons/x-y pads can be sent to any MIDI destination so there are thousands of options. I might use a slider to control level, or a send, or filter cutoff...use a button to control a mute or record arm...etc., etc., etc.

The x-y pads are very useful. I get great mileage out of them for real-time attack/release DCA control and filter cutoff/resonance control for samples and synths. Also very nice for dialing in track EQ in 2 dimensions.

I run all of this with 'fingertip control' on the Elo units...I do not feel the need for multi-touch, but would probably use it if it was available.

Hope this helps...
wellouneednt
Attached Thumbnails
Elo Touchscreen Monitor-mpads-1.jpg   Elo Touchscreen Monitor-mpads-2.jpg  
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks again wellouneednt, I think probally at this point in time the touchscreen monitor route isn't for me. But I can see how it works nicely in your case which is great. There is RedLeaf as well however, who I hear is doing multi-touch or is damn near. Any way it was good to get an idea about this and I'll keep my eyes peeled for advancements in this realm of tech in the near future.
Old 1st June 2011
Gear Addict

I have a question

How a touchscreen monitor does work when it needs the right mouse click ? Some of the applications could not work without the right click. Any ideas?

THX
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonevision View Post
I have a question

How a touchscreen monitor does work when it needs the right mouse click ? Some of the applications could not work without the right click. Any ideas?

THX
I'd imagine it'd work along similar lines to a macbook's touchpad (which only has one button) ---- use a two-finger tap for right-click, or failing, that using a modifier key.
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Depending on the software I could go for a touchscreen like in the show Caprica's of Daniel Greystone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search