The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Allen & Heath Zed GS-R16 !!!!
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Allen & Heath Zed GS-R16 !!!!

I opened this thread a zillion times, but never had the courage to actually post it.

But I simply can't stand it !!! I WANT ONE !! but... it doesn't exist.

So as the GS-R24 was born, in great part, due to the amazing and out-of-this-world generosity from A&H in listening to our crazy ideas, and Mike's good will to participate herein... I thought it would be interesting to seriously debate what could be achieved, if, say, one day A&H wants to hit the serious gap of the 16ch segment.

Yes, the R-16 is there... but not the GS !! heh

Personally, I would start this debate from a price-point point of view. Why? Well, because I just LOVE the 24, I would just chop off 8ch, add midi "in" or "through", give it a nice wrapping and get done with it. But different people have different needs...

So...

The GS-R24M(inc firewire card) + Power Supply = 7472 euros (thomann.de)

That is 311,33€ per channel

311,33€ x 16 = 4981,33 for a hypothetical GS-R16.

Now, obviously this math is crap, considering everything else except actual channel strips...

I just hope this thread one day ends up like its predecessor!

Gentlemen, fire at will...
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Was this moved ?!

I could have sworn I posted this in the "So Much Gear, So Little Time"

My appologies for posting here, and request mods to move this thread to said sub-forum.

Edit: thanks!
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

a little preemptive bump;

I would say, in order to reduce the price-point but still hit the 16ch motorized fader marker, that A&H could probably think of a hypothecial GS series as something totally different than the Zed R-16.

The ZED makes for a brilliant FOH solution, while the GS could be what SSL Nucleus doesn't achieve for a lower to mid-tier recording studio centerpiece.

Since basically the world revolves through ITB, OTB and Hybrid, being this latter one the norm for commercial setups (cost reduction and recall timesave), I would completely eliminate the EQ section, and substitute them with a minimal midi matrix of rotary encoders.

In this segment, from live tracking to patchbay integration, I would not miss A&H's eq.

I could not do without the meterbridge, I could do without the motorized faders, but in this price range, I would certainly buy that option without thinking twice. I would also do without the extra 2 tube channels, since I'd have my rack right next to the board. 4 stereo subs would be a plus of course.

16 automated OTB summing (OMG!!)
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Nut

take away the EQ and you might as well buy a digital mixer or control surface. There are plenty of those on the market right now.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

the deal breaker for me with the zedr16 is that it doesn't have subgroups. solo would be nice but its the lack of subgroups that i don't understand. the midi stuff is nice but i see subgroups as much more important. i only bring it up because when i look at a zed, those midi faders remind me of subgroups... without the subgroups, in order to do hardware drum buss compression or other group compression/fx, grouping needs to be done in the box. this is ok sometimes but i would want to have the ability to make my groups done on the mixing board. one, you get the benefits of the board's summing and two, for electronic musicians, you can mix without a computer - straight from the drum boxes and synths, using compression on the busses. still havent gone with a presonus studiolive (not enough knobs) or the mackie onyx (too many questions about the audio level problems).

it would also be nice if the auxes could be recorded firewire and the subgroups (should a&h ever add them) : )
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

I must confess I have paid more attention to the GS24 than the r-16
I ALWAYS assumed those were 4 groups!!

Are those really only midi controllers !? Why?!
Aren't the other 16ch midi controllers too?

Man, I DO need my subs! Even if only 1 stereo to print tracks, but I do need subs.

See, this is a very beneficial thread for A&H - debunk myths and makeway for a recording studio version.

At the very least, is one able to patch back a buss drum compressor to channels 1-2 hard panned L-R ? The problems is it would need to be 14 tracks at most right, leaving the 2 last one's for loopback recording ?
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

i agree, with the subs - it would then be a recording studio board. yes, i believe the other faders do work as midi controllers.
Old 24th January 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshelevator View Post
i agree, with the subs - it would then be a recording studio board. yes, i believe the other faders do work as midi controllers.
Why not add a subgroup in your DAW then send it to the ZR-16, I don't like the fact I only have 16 Tracks, so I sub group.. Also you have to add effect's to your subgroup's anyway... I normally group the drums then send all the rest on individual tracks.

Also just read this in the description:

"Features such as the dual function audio/MIDI faders and built in sequencer transport were dreamed up by engineers here at A&H who have home studios themselves, so they've made sure they've built in features they really need. "

So I gather you can use them as both...

Allen & Heath Zed R16 16 Channel Firewire Mixer | Andertons
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

like i said - it would be nice to use the summing of the analog mixer as opposed to in the box. not that a big of a deal but i would prefer it. more importantly for me, i make often make music using synths/samplers/drum machines and it would be nice to be able to do the group compression without always needing to go into the computer first. the same goes if your coming from a tape machine into the zed. not the core market for sure but there are still some hardware people out there.

i understand that it is possible to create sub groups in the box and that these could be controlled from midi faders, but it just feels like it would be different for me than just having real analog sub groups. for those who like to do "dub style" mixing, it is nice to have control just using the board and not having to deal with the computer sometimes. still thinking about buying a zed as i cant think of a mixer/interface that works any better for me.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

what I would like not a gs r16 but a zed r24 as originally envisioned

a slightly larger , only proportionally more expensive mixer than the r16 . not 3-4 times more expensive , maybe 50% more expensive

personally I dont need tube channels , meter bridges , flying faders and external power supplies

but would love 24 zed r16 channels and if it can be squeezed in 4 analog subgroups

but i am probably going to go for a venice f for 2/3 the price of the gsr24
Old 11th February 2011
Here for the gear

Good call on the Midas Venice F. Nice price too.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

So what we want is the GSR24 with 16 channels and minus the valve section. It's still gonna be hellish pricey guys!

For me the biggest kick is no polarity switch lol hate that I can't flip the monitor feeds.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Oh come on! Polarity switches?

I do get you man, for live work...But as I originally posted, I'd like to discuss a studio centerpiece. Polarity in software is basically free! Why add to price-tag?

Randall... again... direct outs? What for? Backup-live rec? cue to tape?

(picking your brains to get this thread-a-flowin´...)
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

I was being sarcastic sorry :-) I actually don't see this happening. The cost would sit in the 4-5grand price point and it's hardly a budget desk then is it
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Oh yes sir it would very well be !! 5k for 16 quality channels and AD/DA ? Seriously?

Well, depends... get them faders flying at that price range and A&H would conquer Earth and Mars with the same blow.
I mean, like I said before, one thing is the Zed-R16... brilliant double fold product.
A hypothetical GSR-16, thought out to be a studio centerpiece, would NOT need huge amount of true EQ!
Everyone loves their 500 series, or racked up 1073, or UAD or whatnot... imagine a switch routed 4x A&H EQ you could insert on the fly for recording or mixing, being channel independant? WOW ! That would kill !!
Damn... imagine simply jacking out the entire EQ and make way for a 500 series slot on every channel hahha... heh (API, give me credit on this one will ya?)
Seriously now... thinking true uncompromised hybrid setup, a GSR-16 with motorized fader option, the same midi mapping, and cutting down on the "live" essentials, would absolutely smash the competition!
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

If they could bring a 16channel mixer in under £4500 I'd buy one. Don't need the tubes, but the meter bridge would do nicely. Tbh I'd like a studio desk not a live desk. Surely some money saved there.
To be fair it would simply obliterate the competition but it's getting them to come to the thread. Anyone pm'd A&H?
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

I asked Mike if this product was in the pipeline!

Mike said could be a year or more but the plan IS to do "Something between the R16 and the GSR24"

So we may have to wait but it's coming guys n gals :-)
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search