The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What happened to Sony DASH Format?
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Addict

What happened to Sony DASH? it happend the same that happend to the sony mini disc
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The combination of a DASH machine and an SSL console offered unprecedented precision in mix recalls. Analog machines never really run the same speed twice and locking them to time-code increases the wow and flutter substantially. The DASH/SSL combo was a huge advance. Some folks have simply never moved beyond it because they don't consider anything else to be any better and they think lots of other things are worse.
Sony DASH PCM-3348 and SSL-4000G or 9000J/K combo.

or

Mitsubishi X-850 and Neve 8078 or Neve VR combo.

both DASH and ProDigi being very reliable digital tape format (as mentioned by many earlier)
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Nut

I know this is a old threat, but I had to share this... I work in an audio school in Spain, we have almost any known recording format in a small hall, just for melancholy. 1/4" analog cardtridges, DATs, ADATs, DA88s, or "died before living" formats like DCC, etc. Nobody cares a lot for the maintenance, but some weeks ago I put a tape in our 3324 first gen., a 30 years old machine, and it worked flawlessly. I wonder if my macbook and my soundcard will work in 30 years too...
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac
DASH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
Yup! I remember recording to a 48 track DASH maschine...I think it was 48...anyways. I remember the Studer 24 track in the same room, sonically killed the DASH maschine. First and last time I ever used DASH format.

Yes I know it's an old thread but Ebay is still selling DASH machines so the topic is still relevant.

You say killed it in the same room? Why didn't you call the police.

Seriously though....I agree with you.

However, try putting a flute solo on track 12 right next the electric guitar on track 13. All of a sudden the analog Studer isn't killing it anymore. And your back up 2 inch 24 tape will not sound the same as the original. In that the department the 3324 kicks the Studer ass all over the studio.

New flash. Not everyone missed the analog sound. Some engineers went to digital and never looked back. Those engineers are on medication of course.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruidostudios View Post
I know this is a old threat, but I had to share this... I work in an audio school in Spain, we have almost any known recording format in a small hall, just for melancholy. 1/4" analog cardtridges, DATs, ADATs, DA88s, or "died before living" formats like DCC, etc. Nobody cares a lot for the maintenance, but some weeks ago I put a tape in our 3324 first gen., a 30 years old machine, and it worked flawlessly. I wonder if my macbook and my soundcard will work in 30 years too...

Out of curiosity how old was the DASH tape? Our studio, Seven Nations Studio (all native run studio) does a lot of DASH transfers. We have transferred tapes as old as the mid 80's. Sometimes they play and sometimes they won't. The machine is not the issue but the condition of the tape is. DASH tape has a pure metal tape formulation. (Correct me if I am wrong here) We have learned some tricks to play DASH tapes that won't play.

The 3348HR was great in its day. And was once the standard. Half inch DASH-PLUS & DASH-F formats were cheaper than the 1 inch 32 track format.
10, 12.5 and 14 inch reels.
With a 14 inch reel you could get a maximum of 65 minutes 16/44.1/44.056 (Don't ask!)
Or 40 minutes with 24/48 with a 14 inch reel.

And the great thing about a 3348HR is that it will play DASH tapes made on a 3324 / 3324A / 3348

And transferring to Pro Tools is as easy as one balanced SDIF-2 BNC cable. I understand the cables are hard to get now.

We can transfer as as many as 192 channels of SDIF-2 But we only have two 3348HR. You would all be surprised at how many bands/artists in the 90's needed 96 tracks. Occasionally we have had to turn the odd DASH transfer project down because it involved more than 96 DASH tracks. One project involved over 180 tracks of 16/48. Who has four 3348 / 3348HR?

Uncle Jack is thinking of buying another 3348HR but we will soon run out of room.

Just small list of toys:
2 Studer 827
2 Otari MX-80 (both with 24 and 32 head stacks)
2 Sony DASH 3348HR
1 Sony DASH 3324A (not working at present)
1 Ampex ATR-116 (Recent purchase. It needs some work.)
3 JRF Magnetics 2 inch 8 track head stacks. (Not cheap!)
18 Sony ADATs. (6 of them don't work at the moment)

When my Uncle Jack dies who is going to fix the darn things when they break down? Not me.

Last edited by john morris; 12th June 2019 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac
DASH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique View Post
Sony DASH PCM-3348 and SSL-4000G or 9000J/K combo.

or

Mitsubishi X-850 and Neve 8078 or Neve VR combo.

both DASH and ProDigi being very reliable digital tape format (as mentioned by many earlier)
Agreed. The 3324, 3324A, 3348, 3348HR, X-800 and X-850 were the standards of their day. Thousands of albums and film soundtracks were recorded on these fine machines. But today's engineers speak of DASH as if it everone loathed them and longed for analog. My Uncle remembers how most engineers loved those DASH machines. Not all....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search