The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neodymium Magnets Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Head

Neodymium Magnets

Hey what is the deal with Neodymium magnets in everything nowadays? I understand they are a 'rare earth' material and I'm guessing that these magnets are 'ultra-magnetic' but any info on what makes them special or expensive would be great! Do microphones have these magnets?
Thanks for any other info!
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

They have a lighter weight.

Don't know if they have been used in microphones? it's not such a weight issue there... but in speakers well they like it because it's 50% lighter so that combo or 4x12" cab is easier to move.

I have a neodymium glass filter for astronomy, apparently the element has great selective blocking properties & reduces glare whilst holding color and lot's of throughput.
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Head

Wow that's really cool. Yeah I noticed my friends new bass cab was nice and light with the magnets. Does it have anything to do with the sound quality or is it just the weight factor. Also, how are they made? Or are they just 'found'
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ninja Neodymium Investors - Rare Metals - Resource Investor
"There are no primary rare earth mines yet discovered on the earth. The rare earth elements are like all other elements distributed throughout the earth’s crust. Neodymium itself is twice as plentiful as lead and half as abundant as copper in the earth’s crust and only cerium and lanthanum, of all of the rare earths, are more abundant than neodymium in the earth’s crust."

well I think the selling point with speakers is mainly the weight thing (without the loss of tone or power)
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey8989896 View Post
Hey what is the deal with Neodymium magnets in everything nowadays? I understand they are a 'rare earth' material and I'm guessing that these magnets are 'ultra-magnetic' but any info on what makes them special or expensive would be great! Do microphones have these magnets?
Thanks for any other info!
Neodymium magnets are used primarily in PA loudspeaker systems for two reasons, firstly they reduce weight (a big factor in large system design) and secondly they are more powerful, meaning that speaker drivers that use them tend to have a higher output SPL relatively to amp power in. In real terms this potentially means that you can produce small, lightweight, speakers that can produce a lot of SPL. This is very attractive for both designers and end users.

Regards

Roland
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey8989896
Do microphones have these magnets?

plenty of mics use Neodymium magnets.

a more powerful magnet can be traded off for either hotter output or a lighter coil.

the Shure Beta mics, Beta 57, Beta 58 etc use Neodymium magnets as do a lot of their drum mics

also: the Electrovoice N/D 868 and all other EV mics labeled N/D

most if not all Royer and AEA ribbon mics are neodymium as are most of the Heil dynamics, I believe.
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

I know the Shure Beta 57/58, some Audio-Techinca, and Heil(in a mixture) mics use neodymium magnets. I'm sure there are plenty ov other modern mics utilizing neodymium, and I suspect we will see plenty more new designs in the future.

Edit: joeq and I must've been typing up our responses simultaneously! : ) Get some sleep joeq! Well I'm off to take my own advice...
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Guru

The EV rep said that using Neodymium in the mic allowed them to react faster to transients and give wider frequency response.
Old 18th January 2011
Shy
Lives for gear

Of course. Weight is a main factor in the design of speakers/monitors/headphones/microphones and basically most things designed to scan/capture or emit sound waves.
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
Of course. Weight is a main factor in the design of speakers/monitors/headphones/microphones and basically most things designed to scan/capture or emit sound waves.
See but it used to be so easy.. ah heavy amp good! lightweight amp bad! ug-ug! heh
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Guru

Neodymium is a much more powerful magnet for the same size - or - can give you the same magnetic power with a much smaller magnet size.

I think EV were the first to start using Neodymium in microphones and it is now in common use in both microphones and headphones as well as loudspeakers nowadays.

The downside is that Neodymium is more brittle and you have to be more careful.
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyreels View Post
: ) Get some sleep joeq! Well I'm off to take my own advice...
I live next door to a Post Office
when the post office guys come in and start working, I start thinking about going to bed!
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
See but it used to be so easy.. ah heavy amp good! lightweight amp bad! ug-ug! heh
When I shop around for vintage stereo equipment, especially record players, the first thing i do is pick it up to feel how heavy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I live next door to a Post Office
when the post office guys come in and start working, I start thinking about going to bed!
I bartend at night, so 4:30 to 5 is my usual bedtime.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search