The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I know it's a bit premature to ask but... (which EV RE-__ mic should I get?) Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th January 2011
I know it's a bit premature to ask but... (which EV RE-__ mic should I get?)

I want a mic that will serve me well as a kick mic and a bass instrument mic (namely upright bass).

I've been trying to save for an RE-20, but I just saw that the RE-320 is coming out soon. based on the specs, would the 320 be a better choice?

RE-320
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1065
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Save up and get the RE20, have you heard a 320 to consider it against the 20?
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Have not used the 320 yet, but the RE-20 is a classic mic that if you get it, it will probably be a valuable part of your mic closet for decades.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

also consider the 635a, one of my fave EV mics. Don't know if they're still in production or have been modernized with the "new" rare-earth magnets and have a different model name, but I've used the 635a on both bass drum and contrabass with often great results.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz View Post
Don't know if they're still in production or have been modernized with the "new" rare-earth magnets and have a different model name
Yes to both

The 635a is the same as it was when introduced, only now with beige wet spray paint.

The 635a/b is the same mic as above, with black wet spray paint.

There is a 'newer' 635n/d-b that is very similar in structure, however the element is of the neodymium variety, much different output.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I want a mic that will serve me well as a kick mic and a bass instrument mic (namely upright bass).

I've been trying to save for an RE-20, but I just saw that the RE-320 is coming out soon. based on the specs, would the 320 be a better choice?

RE-320
Electro-Voice RE320 Variable-D® dynamic vocal and instrument microphone
RE-20 is a great kick mic. No proximity effect helps reduce boomyness and it’s easy to work with.
Old 22nd January 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

I checked out the 320 at NAMM (not on kick or bass there!), and it sounded like a very nice vocal mic. IMHO between a RE20 and RE27-as intended by EV.

The two position switch for 2 voicings is a cool idea.

They're trying to get back into the local gear outlets with this model (streets around $300), like in the old PL series days.

Chris
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

$300? That's pretty good.
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear nut

re-20
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

The specs don't mention a transformer. I wonder if that explains the price difference?
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
The specs don't mention a transformer. I wonder if that explains the price difference?

With the Neodymium magnet structure I think they're able to wind higher impedance voice-coil (RE20 is aluminum and ~11Ohms) which would allow them to skip the trafo.. The RE27 also does not have a trafo..

edit: dc resistance across the RE20 voice-coil + series humbucker = ~13Ohms
dc resistance across the RE27 voice-coil + series humbucker = ~350Ohms

I'm guessing the RE320 element is very very much like the 27, with changes maybe to damping/mylar/coil material etc... and of course the passive network is simplified compared to the 27, with 'flat' or vocal and 'kick' or the eq'd drum function.

RE320 is the 'prosumer' version of the RE20
Old 29th March 2011
Gear interested

I posted this in another RE320 thread, but here it is again. First review I could find:

Electro-Voice RE320 Premium Dynamic Microphone

FYI
Jim
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear

+1 for RE-20. Saw a used one listed recently for $300. Probably my favorite on upright.
Old 29th March 2011
ST.
Gear Addict

I was posting about my RE20 not that long ago. MicDaddy helped me realize this... but you need a preamp that can give plenty of clean gain. Make sure you have that before considering this mic.

With a good pre, the RE20 sounds amazing (it seems good at not picking up ambient sounds). If you have a a so-so mic pre, you may wind up bringing up the noise floor just to get a signal from the mic.

I'm sorry but I can't comment on the RE320 as I have no experience with it.
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear
For loud rappers I use an RE27 thru an avalon and a distressor... Definitely need a good clean pre on the front end like others have said.

Sounds killer. Up front and brutal, but not all sizzly and don't need to run it through 1000 de-essers. Same chain would do for metal vocalists with lots of screaming involved.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search