All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
m600 mic mount
Old 29th January 2006
Lives for gear

m600 mic mount

Anyone here try these yet ?

http://www.lasvegasproaudio.com/m600.html

They look pretty slutty!

The comparison says that things sound better compared to a normal shock mount but I didn't notice if they compared it to a standard clip mount or not.
Old 2nd February 2006
Here for the gear

If I look at those screws, I would be afraid of my 3000,-€ mic either to fall on the floor or to get scratches.
Old 2nd February 2006
Lives for gear

M600

I have a pair of M600s which I am using in my current recording project and they are great!!!

The microphones are solidly held so there's no worry of them coming of, besides there are 2 sets of screws and even with one set tightly put the microphone is secure in the mount.

In my own experience, the M600 brings a considerable amount of detail to the high frequencies of the sound being recorded. Some of the low end rumble is lost but the high end is brought into more focus. I am using mine with a pair of B&K 4003 high voltage microphones and even though these mics a very defined already with their own mount, the M600 brought a new level of definition which I find is really great. I can't think of recording without the M600, especially with small diaphragm condensers.

I tried the M600 recently with a ribbon and I experienced the same level of detail that I had with SDCs, but the output seemed to be lower, so since ribbons don't have huge amounts of output I decided that with the ribbon I could live without the M600s.

I also did a quick test on vocals with a large diaphragm condenser (ADK A51-TL) and the difference was that with the M600 everything was cleaner sounding, more detailed. I would have to test it more with LDC to better evaluate its benefits but with SDC this mount is my mount of choice. I love it.

I hope this helps.

Peace
Marco Granados
Old 2nd February 2006
Gear Addict

try explaining that the output was lower on a ribbon

because of the mic mount.Gooooooooooood luuuuuuuuuck.AUDIOVOODOO.COM.
Old 2nd February 2006
Lives for gear

M600

Hello,

Regarding the lower output on the ribbon:
Maybe David can explain this better but this is what I think, since the M600 lessens the amount of very low end rumble one hears when recording with a suspension mount, and since it also tightens the High Frequencies, it does result in perceived lower output which in the case of a condenser, especially a high voltage one like the B&K 4003, is not an issue because those microphones have enormous amounts of output. In the case of a ribbon (and I will have to do more testing with different kinds, hopefully a Royer) I would probably need a preamp like the new "Ultra" that AEA is putting out which is specially made for ribbons and has 83 dB of output.

I hope that answers you question and maybe we can also get an explanation from the maker David Browne over at www.enhancedaudio.ie

Peace
Marco

PS I used the new "Crowley & Tripp" Proscenium ribbon which is a beautifully balanced ribbon. Lots of detail in both high and low end as well as a good amount of output. I just didn't want to sacrifice the output of the ribbon since at the moment I don't have a preamp that gives me the extra room to compensate for it.

Last edited by sunflute; 2nd February 2006 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: word correction
Old 2nd February 2006
Gear Addict

Its not the actual output but the perception of it due to less low end imho

thumbsup.Since it sounds like the mic holder is attenuating low freq there is a vibration burst test recently done in leica magazine on tripods which proves that the ash wood models are superior to all others in least vibration transmission.It therefore makes infinite sense to attack this problem from the ground first then polish it off so to speak at the mic /holder interface.A new product of ash wood perhaps.
Old 2nd February 2006
Gear Addict

correction to above post meant to lessen the low frequencies recorded not lower them

thumbsup
Old 2nd February 2006
Lives for gear

clarification

thank you Bruce for your explanation!

I edited my previous post so that perhaps it reads better.

Peace
Marco
Old 2nd February 2006
Lives for gear

How can a stiff construction isolate better than an elastically bearing mount?
-
While at mic mounts and handling: I´m planning to get some of these. They look like an intelligent solution for easy "micro placement".

Ruphus
Attached Thumbnails
m600 mic mount-swivelmount.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2006
Gear Addict

If I had to guess it is the way the mic is held by the delrin material

But I agree with you ruphus, generally absorption of vibration requires softer materials.Still sticking to my belief that if you stop the vibes at the floor first..... your way ahead of the game.
Old 2nd February 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
How can a stiff construction isolate better than an elastically bearing mount?
-
While at mic mounts and handling: I´m planning to get some of these. They look like an intelligent solution for easy "micro placement".

Ruphus

Those look cool. Do you have an AT part #?????
Old 2nd February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Those look cool. Do you have an AT part #?????
Yes, that is AT 8459.

That thing looks genial, doesn´t?
With that the common problem of usually only 3 axes of movement ( mic spin, one angle of mount, and twist of stand or arm ) and clumsy fiddling and shoving should be over. Unlimitedly directional with only one single grab. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

I must say that when I looked consciously at a mic stand first time I was expecting a joint like this anyway. Curious, that with all the refinement something like this hasn´t been standard long since yet.

Let that thing be of good material and you could use it for heavy mics again and again without wearing out.

I think AT is a good company. I should look into their mics, and for artists headphones anyway.

Bruce,

guess one needs thick concrete floor then. In my current wooden floor place vibration seems invincible.

Ruphus
Old 3rd February 2006
w2w
Lives for gear

$275 for a mic mount!!!!!!!!!??????.....Well...price it high & they will buy....
Old 11th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2w
$275 for a mic mount!!!!!!!!!??????.....Well...price it high & they will buy....
Well, I'm a sucker I guess. I did buy one of these Las Vegas mounts to replace the stock Soundelux mounts and also to provide a mount for a Beyer MC740. I'll let you know what I think in a week or so.

Not so sure about the audiophyllic exuberance expressed about this mount. I'm mostly interested in keeping the mic off the floor and not scratching the mic body.

John-
Old 11th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
"The sonic difference is not subtle. The signal when employing the M600 actually is louder as well as having increased depth, a smoother middle and a “sweeter” more open high end. For acoustic recording applications where the dimensional and spectral purity is of paramount importance, these are without any doubt in my mind the absolute best mounts that I have ever used." Haydn Bendall, Producer/ Engineer
Well, they may be nice mic mounts and all, but a huge sonic improvement?

Do they have some bridges for sale as well? dfegad
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

Enhanced Audio M600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
I have the M600 mounts and I can tell you that the sonic improvement is considerable. It's like having a new microphone. I have been using them with DPA 4003s, ADK TLs and Peluso CEMC6s and I can tell that in all of those cases, the incresed clarity of the high frequencies and the tightening of the bass is amazing.

I just did a test today with one of the Crowley and Tripp Ribbon mics and I agree that the clarity that the mount brings made it sound like it was louder than with the regular stock mount.

As soon as I have some time I will post some samples of some classical flute stuff, with and without the M600.

I encourage all you wanting to improve the mics you have, to try them. They are that great.

Peace
Marco Granados
Old 12th February 2006
Quote:

Do they have some bridges for sale as well? dfegad
Well.... In a game of inches everything counts right? Also never a good idea to judge something without trying it first right?

heh

Anyway there are maybe 3 people here at GS (or any forum) who's words I take as gold, Michael Wagener is one. Here is his take on the M600...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
Sometimes it's the small things that make a big difference in audio recording. The M600 is one of those. It's a rigid microphone mount that makes the microphone sound clearer. As far as I understand it, by the way the mic is installed in the mount it takes out super low frequencies which are not heard but are still part of the overall sound and "cloud the rest of the frequencies (David, if you read this please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong). I have tried it with my trusty ELUX 251 on vocals and with a Schoeps on acoustic guitar and there is a definite improvement in the clarity of the sound.
....and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
Well, I am not sure WHAT it does exaclty and how, but every mic I have used it on sofar has sounded "clearer". Not frequency wise, there is not more high end or so, the best analogy I can think of is it sounds like the mic has less jitter I know that is a weird statement, but that's my closest explanation and how I envision it in my mind. I used it on vocal mics (ELUX 251, E47, Beyer MC740), acoustic guitar (again ELUX 251, Schoeps) and on overheads (SF12, GTM40). The M600 seems to improve the overal clarity over the "rubber mounted" mics. Besides that, I really hate those rubber things, PITA.

I would say, call Brad and have him send you one to try out, I'm sure you'll keep it.
Yeah, I will be checking one out myself soon.
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

I would still like people using the M600 who are/or are not noticing sonic improvements to not only compare it to a elastic cord/spider shock mount but also to standard mic clips/mounts. If the improvement with the M600 is coming from the mic being held more ridgedly than some of that improvement should be obtained by standard non-shock mounts. Right?
Old 12th February 2006
Lives for gear

I'd like to know what the "nubs" at the ends of the screws are made of, e.g. what's contacting the microphone.

Just by looking at it, I'd be worried that since everything in the system is rigid, there's nothing to make up for a temperature change. In other words, there's not much distance from really loose to really tight.

Maybe, what, a quarter turn? I wonder how hard it would be to make the thing with some of those locking nuts with nylon in them like in the photo.

I'm not trying to second-guess the designer, but them mikafone's expensive!

When you hang a on a soundstage with a threaded clamp, there's a safety wire.

Just wondering!

Attached Images
m600 mic mount-nylon-thin.jpg 

Last edited by George Necola; 14th February 2006 at 06:48 AM..
Old 13th February 2006
Gear Addict

There is no doubt....................................

that low frequencies are minimalized by this design but as I said in a previous post its because all of us are using mic stands that allow those vibrations to creep up into the mic/holder interface.Stop it at the floor and your problems are no more.
Old 13th February 2006
Lives for gear

nothing gets me more aroused than a new mic mount..oh yeahhhh...
Old 13th February 2006
Old 13th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn
I would still like people using the M600 who are/or are not noticing sonic improvements to not only compare it to a elastic cord/spider shock mount but also to standard mic clips/mounts. If the improvement with the M600 is coming from the mic being held more ridgedly than some of that improvement should be obtained by standard non-shock mounts. Right?
Ok, I could see *some* improvement over a rigid design, but how much could there be over other shock mount designs?

Sorry, I remain very skeptical.
Old 13th February 2006
High End Moderator

Quote:
Ok, I could see *some* improvement over a rigid design, but how much could there be over other shock mount designs?

Sorry, I remain very skeptical.
Nothing wrong with that. I guess you'd have to try it yourself, we can just report our findings when using the M 600. I don't understand how it works, nor do I really want to, it improves the sound of my microphones, so I use it.
Old 13th February 2006
Lives for gear

Brad from LV Pro Audoio just brought ours over this morning, so when I get a chance I'll be giving a listen, but as the rooms are quite busy it may be some time before I can give ya a report, but it's on our U47 and being used today, but nothing I can get in and A/B.
I'll get back here soon.
-Brent
Old 18th February 2006
Gear Maniac

About the floor vibration:
Its really amazing what some good quality foam does, just under the tips of the legs of the mic stand. Not sound-absorbing foam, softer foam used for cases & padding. Try different densities, the softest high viscosity foam is quite surprising. Especially since you use about 1 sq inch per mic stand leg.
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

New David Gilmour Album

hello Everyone,

I just saw the new video of David Gilmour's album "On An Island" and guess what, he's using the M600 mount with a SONY c-800 tube microphone on the vocal track.

Check it out...

I guess if you want to hear what the M600 sounds on vocals, you can listen to the album, although I don't know if he used the M600 throughout but he's using it in this video.

http://exodus.interoutemediaservices...elivery=stream

or

http://www.davidgilmour.com/island.htm

Peace
Marco
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Yeh, that was one of the things I noticed in the video when I was checking out the mic.
Old 4th March 2006
Lives for gear

Audio Samples of the M600

Hey Guys,

I just posted some audio samples, with and without the Enhanced Audio M600 mount, check it out in the following thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...776#post621776

Peace
Marco

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search