The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q: My old valve mixer has 30-50Ω mic inputs on 1/4" jacks... Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Q: My old valve mixer has 30-50Ω mic inputs on 1/4" jacks...

how do I get:

-an sm57 into it?

-a bass guitar into it?

Just waiting for a bulgin power lead to show up on eBay so I can't test it myself... but I remember (before I lost the previous power lead) that it would only pass signal on an electric guitar if I plugged the cable halfway in?
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Nut

Is it a Vortexion mixer by any chance? A transistor one I used to own was labelled 30-50 ohms. It had a TRS jack into a transformer to step up to a higher impedance internally.

I would guess that 30-50 was the impedance it expected the Mic to present. A guitar (or bass guitar) is much higher impedance and would not be advisable going into a low impedance input like that. An SM57 would be fine, just get a XLR to jack cable. Balanced is best, though unbalanced should work too.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for that, yes it's a vortexion

what about using a D.I in between it and a bass, say?
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Nut

I think that should work well. The lower the output impedance of the D.I. the better- that input on the mixer is probably lower impedance than the average input your DI would usually expect.

You might find a transformer based passive DI sounds odd as these are more fussy about the input impedance of the device they are plugged into.

So yes, short answer is that it will probably work!
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

pron pics please heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search