The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it possible to expect paying $8,000 - $10,000USD for a mix?
Old 11th January 2011
Here for the gear

Is it possible to expect paying $8,000 - $10,000USD for a mix?

Hello all,

This is just a very general question about the ball park amount a client would possibly expect to pay in order to hire well-established and in-demand mixing engineers.

Nowadays, is it still possible to expect to pay about $8,000-$10,000 USD per song?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 11th January 2011

Depends who you're after !!
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Head

i recently called a management company for producers / mixers to inquire about one of the greatest mixers in history (IMHO) and was quoted about $3500 per song, plus the studio cost which could be about $1000 / day. They also mentioned that he wanted some points on the record or some kind of percentage... Anyway, I think about 3K-5K is average for the best of the best.
As long as they are available... They'd much rather be mixing a major label client that might actually pad their resume more, which is very understandable.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
As long as they are available... They'd much rather be mixing a major label client that might actually pad their resume more, which is very understandable.
I dunno, if I was in that situation, and making more than enough money to pay the bills, I'd rather be working with music that I enjoyed..
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
i recently called a management company for producers / mixers to inquire about one of the greatest mixers in history (IMHO) and was quoted about $3500 per song, plus the studio cost which could be about $1000 / day. They also mentioned that he wanted some points on the record or some kind of percentage... Anyway, I think about 3K-5K is average for the best of the best.
While yes, $5K/Song will definitely buy you an A-list mixer's undivided attention, to the best of my knowledge Michael Brauer, Chis Lord-Alge and Randy Staub still charge considerably more.
Old 12th January 2011
Here's a conversation that shines a whole bank of klieg lights on this topic...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/pirac...ase-study.html
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well, if you really feel that mixer is what your music needs, then that's what you have to go for. However, I know plenty of mixers who could get a professional product done for you for quite a bit less. One that comes to mind would be JR McNeely. There are many others of that level, completely pro, but just aren't seen like a CLA or Serban for some reason. I guess it needs to be relative. If it cost the band less than $500 to track a song, why would you consider anything more than double that cost to mix? I'd be sending my stuff over to a guy like Dave Fortman to see what he charges. It is your work though...
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

I don't care if Jesus wants to mix my songs i'm not paying that much. That kind of market will be drying up and those prices will be coming down eventually plus there are alot of other guys out there that can get you in that ball park for way less.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Only the very top range guys are making that. Many of the big guys are quite a bit less.
Old 12th January 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I totally agree that you don't necessary have to go with the elite household name mixing engineers in order to get a decent product. I myself have worked with mixing engineers that charge an absolutely affordable rate that I have been happy with. Given the state of the economy and an ailing music industry going through hefty challenges, I was curious if high-end prices are still once the way they were.

Based on the responses in this thread, is it safe to assume that household name mixing engineers are still commanding a fee easily exceeding say $3,500 to $4,000 USD per track? ("Household name" meaning heavy weights the likes of CLA, Michael Brauer, Manny Mannoquin, Andy Wallace, etc.)

Thanks again in advance for any insights or thoughts!
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeze View Post
Based on the responses in this thread, is it safe to assume that household name mixing engineers are still commanding a fee easily exceeding say $3,500 to $4,000 USD per track? ("Household name" meaning heavy weights the likes of CLA, Michael Brauer, Manny Mannoquin, Andy Wallace, etc.)
!
Don't know about Mannoquin but CLA and Serban both charge about twice that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search