The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are you Pro Tools Certified? DAW Software
Old 5th January 2011
Gear maniac

I work in I.T. where certifications are par for the course.

it's a quick way to tell if a certain person has a minimum level of knowledge to do very specific tasks. So if I need to hire someone to manage email servers, knowing that someone is certified in MS exchange tells me that there's a certain level of training and understanding that a person will come to the table with.

With Pro Tools certification, I would know that person has a certain level of technical training and understanding. But it really doesn't tell me if that person has an artistic sensibility and good ears. Is this someone I can trust to mix? Or is this a person better suited to recording with a veteran producer at the helm?

I think certifications are fine, but in the music world I imagine a great demo CD goes much further.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Happily uncertified here. I had a few certified interns, enjoyed picking up some bits and pieces I never caught on my own.

I thought of doing the courses, but picked up the basics from a $33 community college class instead.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yes.... Does it matter at all? No.
Old 5th January 2011

The worst engineer at our studio was also the only certified one... He used to call me for help. He eventually was let go from here and still called me for help...

I told him to ask his protools certified instructor instead... Conisdering he payed them 6 grand...

Getting certified does almost zero for your skill with protools. Actually using it, reading the manual if need be, and running sessions does everything for your protools skill.

Certification is a scam and its stupidly expensive... But you can put it on your resume...

Then again, if you are skilled in protools and uncertified, you can still lie and put it on your resume. I dont know a single employer who has ever checked... Or cared... Other than teaching institutions.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Certified in Pro Tools Music 5 years ago.
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgtrguy View Post
I work in I.T. where certifications are par for the course.

it's a quick way to tell if a certain person has a minimum level of knowledge to do very specific tasks. So if I need to hire someone to manage email servers, knowing that someone is certified in MS exchange tells me that there's a certain level of training and understanding that a person will come to the table with.

With Pro Tools certification, I would know that person has a certain level of technical training and understanding. But it really doesn't tell me if that person has an artistic sensibility and good ears. Is this someone I can trust to mix? Or is this a person better suited to recording with a veteran producer at the helm?

I think certifications are fine, but in the music world I imagine a great demo CD goes much further.
Very well put.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Are you Pro Tools Certified?

Wow $6k for Pro Tools certification?

My CPA certification was a few grand but it has more than paid off.

Pro Tools certification? That is a tough one.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear maniac

I also think things like Pro Tools certification is more helpful to GC salesmen than mixing engineers.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
You can get super fast at Pro Tools without the need for a certification. Get some great video tutorials, practice, practice, practice, read the manual and practice some more. I'm sure it's cheaper than getting a certification, right?
If that were true there would be no certification courses because they'd all be outsourced.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Does anybody care if you actually are certified? No. Well, at least not in my experiences.

However, people on here that doubt the coursework after taking a 101 or 110 course are kidding themselves. The courses start from the bottom up. Meaning "this is the trim tool" ... "this is the mix window", ect. Let's hear someone chime in that has taken up to the 210 Operator level + and say that it's a complete waste from a learning and content standpoint.

Thing is, just because you read in a manual what a button does, does not by any stretch of imagination mean you know when/how to use it, or why it was designed that way. How is anyone denying that the people who know how to use the program best are the ones who created it in the first place? The courses are 100% workflow oriented after the 110 level, and do unbelievable justice to your practical skills. Reading a manual on the other hand, does not.

Of course it all comes down to the individuals ability to make it all work in the end. However, that is the individual, not the course. As I always say, "you can lead a who-re to culture, but you can't make her drink".

BTW, 210M over here. Did not pay a penny for it, so no bill to justify to anybody. The Studio I was working at, at the time, offered it to all assistants on their bill as a means of upgrading our skills.

YMMV
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Another example of posters that have no clue...

Sounds like your buddy was just a bad engineer and skated through the course. You've still got to put your all into it just like anything else.

I worked my ass off to be sure I learned ever bit of information I could. I had also been engineering for a good 12 years before but mainly using another app.

BTW, you do use, read books, manuals, and run sessions in the course. Which is how you suggest learning protools. A bad engineer is a bad engineer. Plain and simple. Just because you don't have the funds to do something doesn't make it a bad idea. To this day, it is something i'm glad I did. I've also paid for the courses in plug in discounts given from being certified which is around 60 percent from any manufacturer.

PS. Lying on a resume is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
The worst engineer at our studio was also the only certified one... He used to call me for help. He eventually was let go from here and still called me for help...

I told him to ask his protools certified instructor instead... Conisdering he payed them 6 grand...

Getting certified does almost zero for your skill with protools. Actually using it, reading the manual if need be, and running sessions does everything for your protools skill.

Certification is a scam and its stupidly expensive... But you can put it on your resume...

Then again, if you are skilled in protools and uncertified, you can still lie and put it on your resume. I dont know a single employer who has ever checked... Or cared... Other than teaching institutions.
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search