The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tips on recording metal/drop d
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Tips on recording metal/drop d

I'm not sure if I am just missing something but here it goes: I am recording a metal band at the moment and most of their material is written in drop D. I am consistently running into a problem when the guitar player "giddy-umps" on the drop d chord: the sound is very distorted and mudded up. I've tried a new head, new cab, new guitar, new player, new cables, different EQ's, dialing back the gain a bit but the issue is still present. I have noticed that the issue carried over at home when I used a completely different setup and tried it myself. The issue seems to be happening around (+/- 225 Hz). The last thing I can think of is notch out this "problem area" with a parametric EQ then send the signal to the head. Hope this makes sense
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Any idea what gauge strings he/you is/are using? What guitar/s?
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

We tried a Mex tele, a bc rich, and an ibenze (forgot model but it has IBZ) pickups. I'm pretty sure they are all 10 guage strings. What's more is that the issue happened on all three guitars with three different players on two different amps. I feel like it's something thats nature of the beast with this tuning/music?
Old 4th January 2011
Tip 1: 11 gauge strings or even 12 gauge for the rhythm tracks. The whiny types get used to it after a couple of days.

Tip 2: Crank the entire amp and use a powersoak/attenuator to bring it to level you find manageable. The powertube distortion will better represent the low frequencies than all preamp distortion.

Tip 3: The increased abundance of 250 hz (that's where it usually is) can cause nausea. I guess that's why FOH techs call it the nauseating frequency! Use an open back 2x12 cabinet with very heavy duty speakers in it to handle the low end. Or if all you have is closer back cabs, yuou can take the back off or unload two of the speakers (and change the output impedance selector on the amp, of course)

Tip 4: Mic 1' off the speaker, on axis, about 2" from the dustcap. If particularly "zingy" use a Royer or other ribbon. If dull, use a LDC. Staples of the microphone diet such as 421s and 441s also work really really well. IMHO, a 57 does not.

I hope I've been helpful.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardpike View Post
Tip 1: 11 gauge strings or even 12 gauge for the rhythm tracks. The whiny types get used to it after a couple of days.
This will definitely help. If its just on the low strings, you can just increase the gauge on those. Hyrbid Slinkys, etc.

If you do this, make sure someone knows how to adjust the neck and intonation. The whiny types will whine even more if you've bent the neck out of whack, the intonation is gone and the action is 3 times as high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardpike View Post
Tip 2: Crank the entire amp and use a powersoak/attenuator to bring it to level you find manageable. The powertube distortion will better represent the low frequencies than all preamp distortion.
This is true for all guitar amps, In my humble opinion. 100+ watt monsters don't seem all that useful in the studio, unless we're talking bass amps. Preamp distortion can be a horrid, fizzy mess.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search