The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ suggestions? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

EQ suggestions?

I'm wondering if those of you who are familiar with hardware EQ might be able to point me in the right direction.

I've only used software EQ... from acid 3.0 (don't laugh too hard!), and am wondering if I should perhaps invest in a rack eq unit. I don't do mastering, so I'd just be using the EQ for tracking or processing recorded tracks.

So far the units that have caught my eye are:
chandler germanium tone control/eq,
the chandler curve bender,
great river EQNV,
kush audio units
etc.,

well, you get the idea. I mostly like to use EQ to give things more presence in the mix or to give them a strange quality, sort of like the late 60's era beatles. I really have no idea what the difference is from one EQ unit to the other, it seems like the Kush products have that "presence" boost, whereas the other units just allow you to play with the frequencies.
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

If your into that 60's sound check out the Chandler Limited Lil' Devil EQ, they are incredible!! Creamy, smooth and tight.
Old 4th January 2011
If you're looking for presence, which is most likely an airy top end boost without getting harsh, the A Designs Hammer is what you're after. Not only is it incredible for top end but the bottom end can be boosted or cut while remaining nice and tight, which is IMHO is a problem for most EQs.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Great River is a great piece.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

How about this: since you're asking, I'm assuming you have about a $1500-$2500 budget for two channels. Why not pick up a pair/stereo in the used market at a good price and try them out? As long as you (a) buy quality gear (b) in good condition (c) at a good price, it's a relatively cheap way to test out a lot of things.

Get a pair of Tone Controls and try them for a month. If, at the end of the month, you don't want to sell them for more than you paid, there's your answer.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSoul View Post
If your into that 60's sound check out the Chandler Limited Lil' Devil EQ, they are incredible!! Creamy, smooth and tight.
Thanks, I saw the little devil, but honestly for the features I want I'd rather spend the extra few hundred to get the presence boost from the tone control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
If you're looking for presence, which is most likely an airy top end boost without getting harsh, the A Designs Hammer is what you're after. Not only is it incredible for top end but the bottom end can be boosted or cut while remaining nice and tight, which is IMHO is a problem for most EQs.
I wasn't aware of this unit, thanks for letting me know about it! It seems to have garnered much praise I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhames View Post
Great River is a great piece.
Bryant - Hames Music
No need to tell me, I have Dan's preamp and it's top notch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
How about this: since you're asking, I'm assuming you have about a $1500-$2500 budget for two channels. Why not pick up a pair/stereo in the used market at a good price and try them out? As long as you (a) buy quality gear (b) in good condition (c) at a good price, it's a relatively cheap way to test out a lot of things.

Get a pair of Tone Controls and try them for a month. If, at the end of the month, you don't want to sell them for more than you paid, there's your answer.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've been prowling on Ebay for sure.
I guess my main question is, are there certain types of EQ that are better for tracking, and is "presence" achieved by using EQ well, or is that more of a feature that certain EQ's have compared to others?
Old 4th January 2011
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasandvolodkas View Post
No need to tell me, I have Dan's preamp and it's top notch!
Without a doubt...pair it up with the Great River EQ2NV and be done. What a fantastic equalizer that is meant to pair up with the preamp too...

War
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search