The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steven Slate Ex or...??? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Steven Slate Ex or...???

i currently have Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.01 installed (PowerPC G5 2x2 GHz, 4 Gb ram, 1,12 To hard drive) and i was wondering, should i buy Steven Slate Drums EX or stick with what i have. OR feel free to suggest me something else. I record mainly Pop and Rock music but planning on recording some heavier stuff like A Day To Remember, Underoath, etc... Right now, i can'T afford to record real drums due to ''space'' problems.

so what do you think?

Thanks,
Vince
Old 3rd January 2011
Check out our Joe Barresi Evil Drums SDX for Superior Drummer 2.0

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.php

We're extending the December sale a little bit into January, so if you're in UK or Europe it's on sale for 50% off, check out:

Time+Space | Virtual Instruments, Sample Libraries, Sample CDs, Downloads, DVDs, Hardware and Software
PLATINUM SAMPLES JOE BARRESI EVIL DRUMS SDX - Thomann UK Cyberstore

In the US or Canada you can use the Checkout option at our web store and enter the coupon code SDXMAS to get 50% off.

Cheers,

Rail
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I have both superior and steven slate. To me the slate drums sound a little bigger and seem to hit harder. EZ has a mapping for Kontackt so it integrates nicely with the superior beats or any other 3rd party beats you might have purchased that integrate into ez.
L.
Old 3rd January 2011
When you say 'ez' do you mean 'ex'?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

No, I meant EZ player pro that comes with superior. It can control many different drum programs. You can buy midi loops cheaply all over the net and drop them into ez player and then control the Slate drums, battery and many others through ez player.
L.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Another option is to pick up TRIGGER and put it on the kick and snare tracks of Superior. I think the cymbals sound better in SD anyway, but the kick and snare samples are what Slate is famous for.

And when you upgrade your facility to be able to track drums you'll already have a killer triggering plugin.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

for superior drummer i bought the steven slate preset (for eq,comps,etc...) yeas it makes it sound better but the sound of the drum originally doesn'T sound THAT good, so thats why i was planning on buying SSD EX
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I would recommend looking into some of the SDX expansion packs for Superior. If you like the interface and workflow of SD, but just aren't digging some of the drum sounds themselves, there are other options. The C&V SDX sounds really, really different than the stock Avatar kits. I just ordered the Evil Drums SDX from Platinum Samples a week or two ago, and I'm really looking forward to hearing that one on my system, too. The demos of that SDX sound radically different from the Avatar drums. It's the only SDX that was recorded onto tape, as well.
Old 4th January 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Latulippe View Post
Should i buy Steven Slate Drums EX or stick with what i have.

OR feel free to suggest me something else. I record mainly Pop and Rock music but planning on recording some heavier stuff like A Day To Remember, Underoath, etc... Right now, i can'T afford to record real drums due to ''space'' problems.
Vince
I couldnt decide and ended up with both SSD and SD2 with all the Toontrack SDX expansions
Im happy as a clam, what can I say.

You should look at Joe Barresi Evil Drums SDX for SD2 as well as the Metal Foundry SDX, both rock IMO

The SSD will give you that harder kick/snare with the sound pre-mixed if you will out the box, BUT, the cymbals are WAY better in the SDX expansions.

Keep this in mind though, the SSD are "PROCESSED already" where as the SD stuff you have to do your own to get it "there with that sound"

For the two groups you mentioned, SSD would cover that just fine

I hate the Kontakt player for SSD though
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Metal Foundry is WWWAAAAYYYY To metal for me, i think i'll go with SSD EX, i know everything's processed but i'm not that good yet at tweaking sound and everything, i'd really like to have a ''go-to'' plugin.
Old 4th January 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Metal Foundry is WWWAAAAYYYY To metal for me, i think i'll go with SSD EX, i know everything's processed but i'm not that good yet at tweaking sound and everything, i'd really like to have a ''go-to'' plugin.
Metal Foundry is only Metal if you want it to be. I do POP here with it, just saying. Either way your gonna end up with BOTH

If you want to load up and go then SSD is the one to have IMO, the sound is there already when you play it, when you get them youll see what I mean

Adddictive Drums has a great sound as well without all the tweaking needed www.xlnaudio.com
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

i already tried Addictive last year and was pleased at the first BUt it was the only drum vst that i was losing my kick drum in the mix, i had to push it way too loud but with taht it gave me clipping so i switched to Superior
Old 4th January 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
i already tried Addictive last year and was pleased at the first BUt it was the only drum vst that i was losing my kick drum in the mix, i had to push it way too loud but with taht it gave me clipping so i switched to Superior

Then I would go with SSD on that note. BFD will take you down the same road as SD with starting your sound from scratch. SSD has the Kick/Snare/Toms ready to go and the kits work in pretty much anything. Use the Hats from Superior and your good to go if you need them

I think its less hassle to go ahead and get SSD verses the SSD EX and then buying and authorizing and installing all those diff kit purchases you make one by one. I did that and ended up with them all except the Metal kit

If I did it again I would just get SSD Platinum out the gate and be done, ONE Auth code and ONE install, simple IMO
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

maybe but it is more expensive and i dont really need all those kit as of right now. and how would i do that, use kick,snare and toms from ssd but hats from superior ?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I hate to say anything against Steven Slate Drums, because the guy seems like a nice guy and is really enthusiastic and supportive, but I have yet to find a place to use them. To me the kicks don't thump like I like a kick to, and the snares seem over processed and lack ring tone. Probably just a matter of taste, cuz lots of other people dig them, but you asked...

Listen and decide for yourself.

-R
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I upgraded my VI drums to Oceanway, and I am VERY happy with how they sound. Great control over 3 room mics. A bit more work to get a sound going when using other midi files, they don't always translate well into Oceanways mapping or velocities, but with some work, you can get stellar sounding drums. They sit very well, and you can get a core simple unprocessed sound, or a pretty massive room sound just by blending the room mics alone. Bounce out individually to a track to process further if needed.

Or I would just get some expansions for your SD.

I can't compare oceanway to SD2, but there is no comparison to Addictive drums. AD sounds muffled and fake in comparison mostly.
Old 4th January 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

I am using both Superior Drummer (for everything EXCEPT kick and snare) and blend in kicks and snares from Slate EX. Perfect combo for rock/alternative/metal.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I am using both Superior Drummer (for everything EXCEPT kick and snare) and blend in kicks and snares from Slate EX. Perfect combo for rock/alternative/metal.

how are you doing it?

i just noticed taht, if i wanna use SSD EX, i need Kontakt 4 Player but on the Native-Insturments its written:
Mac
Mac OS® X 10.5 or 10.6 (latest update), Intel® Core™ Duo, 2 GB RAM

The point is, i have a PowerPC G5, not an Intel Processor

what do i do ?

Last edited by Vince Latulippe; 4th January 2011 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

You may not be able to use some of the latest incarnations of plug ins, having an older computer. One of the sucky things about Computer music creation . Ugh. would make sure whatever you buy works on your system. The may support an oder version of Kontact to run.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

i didn't bought it yet. so how would i make it owrk? anyone?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I actually "tried" to buy EX and all of the expansions from audiomidi a few weeks ago during their holiday sale, but, like countless other people (see the KVR thread), it took days to get my s/n and download links, most of which were broken. So, after numerous phone calls/emails/online chats, audiomidi "initiated" the refund process and. long story short - 2 weeks later, I still have neither a product nor a refund. Audiomidi did mention to me several times that this is an ongoing issue with SSD and a quick look around the internet told me that I should've done some research before lending SSD my money because they seem to have a real problem with their system. That's my story - YMMV.

Have you looked at FXpansion's offerings? I'd recommend Eco over SSD EX for pop/rock - it's a better interface IMO, their support is great, and you can actually get the product that you paid for.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Using Toontracks superior drummer and re-triggering with other sample packs is a great way to expand the tonality of the kit. Steven Slate stuff is great and is punchy, but for dedicated metal check out Drum Samples for Metal | Invictus Audio | Metal Drum Samples , which is my own sample kit The main thing is when listening to drum samples or VSTis is you want to hear how the drums sound in the context of a mix , that is the real test for usability.
Old 5th January 2011
Vince,

Je te conseille d'acheter le Slate EX parce que tous les kits sont super bons. J'aime beaucoup le Nashville kit, Le Slate Hybrid et le All American kit. Je crois que tu aimerais le Slate EX beaucoup. Gog, wav et les fichiers pour kontakt sont inclus.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Merci
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

if i'd like to use the cymbals from Superior Drummer and The Kick, Snare and Toms from SSD, how would i do that ?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

I would imagine you would just have to create 2 different midi tracks, and send what midi notes you want to trigger to each drum VI. If you have a midi groove with all contained, copy paste onto 2 tracks, and just delete the notes you don't want, such as deleting the kick and snare on the Superior track, etc.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

i finally bought SSD EX, now my question is, on the website there's like preset taht you can hear like ''american kit'' ''Beefdrykit'' how do i load those presets ?? now i can only add, the kick and then the snare and the the hats and then.....

Forget it, i just found out lollll

Last edited by Vince Latulippe; 6th January 2011 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 6th January 2011
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi Vince, thanks for checking out SSD EX. All of your questions can be answered by checking out the PDF manual. I'll give you a head start.. go to the left colum and click on MULTI's to select your drumkit presets like The All American Kit.

If you can't find the PDF manual email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I plan on buying a roland e-kit...now I do christian hip-hop and gospel.. and want some realistic drums sounds for the traditional gospel stuff.. as I make instrumentals for christian hip hop with flstudio and komplete 7
I want a drum vst that I can depend on ... now I could just use battery..but I keep hearing about slate this and slate that... so I'm open to suggestion also just like the original poster
Old 6th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Vince,

Je te conseille d'acheter le Slate EX parce que tous les kits sont super bons. J'aime beaucoup le Nashville kit, Le Slate Hybrid et le All American kit. Je crois que tu aimerais le Slate EX beaucoup. Gog, wav et les fichiers pour kontakt sont inclus.
ah monsieur parle francais

I think we are an english forum here, but non the less, you will like slate, invictus audio samples (got a licence, enjoying them. will review them shortly) and platinum samples (got the old ones that are proprietary for BFD only but they are great).

there are non "best" samples.. just working samples for your personal taste/project/mixingtechnique.

La vie est dur sans confiture. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search