The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does expensive mic really sound any better then Sure sm 58? Dynamic Microphones
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Does expensive mic really sound any better then Sure sm 58?

IMO..

I can get the same sound from a sure SM 58 as i can from and expensive condenser microphone.

I really never understood why people obsess over mic's so much..

Its engineering so its technical. A mic picks up a bandwidth of frequency's.

Some mics will have bumps in their responce... which can easily be copied with an eq.

I know people say that certain gear gives them a bigger sound.. but normally this is just more top end or more low end etc.

Im asking this question because i bought a peavey mic for $60 and i thought that it would just be a stop gap..

but after using it for a while i think it sounds fantastic...!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quick! Someone tell the pros they're wasting their money!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The first time I sang into a 58, it sounded like a microphone. The first time I sang into a Neumann, it sounded like a bigger better version of me. It was like a religious experience. Yes, for the human voice, some expensive mics sound better than a 58.
Old 3rd January 2011
You probably have a sh*tty preamp then...

But this begs the question, what mics have you compared your Peavey against?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

...okay, I'll bite.

The theory is that you can't "add back in" sound that was never captured in the first place.

"Nicer" microphones (I'm not going to say "more expensive") have a wider and more flat frequency response than "crappier" microphones. Sure, you can crank up the 12kHZ on the vocal track that you just recorded with your Peavy dynamic in an effort to make it sound like a U87, but this doesn't magically create sound that your mic didn't pick up (and thus you didn't record) in the first place. All you're doing is adding hiss, harshness, and turning up the noise floor of your media and the self-noise of the microphone (that WAS recorded). Similarly, if you boost the low end you're just adding rumble, mud, not the actual "weight" of a bass drum (for instance).

Another place where "nicer" condenser microphones are qualitatively better than "crappier" dynamic mics is in the sensitivity of the mic capsule. It will record a more nuanced and delicate (and thus "life-like") rendering of the vocal performance, whereas the cheap dynamic will not. I guess an analogy would be like writing your name correctly with a sharpened pencil, or holding a fat magic marker at the wrong end, and trying to write your name.

Now, which mic is appropriate, or "good enough"? Entirely up to you, and for that there is no correct answer. It completely depends on stylistic considerations, and what your vision of the final product will be.

Cheers.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

trollin', trollin', trollin', OP's a goin' trollin'.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Mics

"I guess an analogy would be like writing your name correctly with a sharpened pencil, or holding a fat magic marker at the wrong end, and trying to write your name. "

Nice analogy. I think that is it.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby snowby View Post
II can get the same sound from a sure SM 58 as i can from and expensive condenser microphone.
I always preferred Bono's voice on the SM58, live in the control room, rather than the earlier C12 stuff (Unforgettable Fire?).
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

U won't get the same sound out of a sm-anythng that u would get out of an 87. I use the 87 almost evryday. But if the sm58 works for u then use it. Plenty of classic records hav been made using that mic. If all I had was a 58 I could still make great sounding records with no problem! On a placement I got last year I used a beta 58 on the backgrounds in the hook and it came out very solid! Use wutcha got and make it hot! Don't worry about price. A lot of people pay a lot of money for crap and think it sounds good caus it costs so much! I've chosen an mxl mic over a 414 a couple times. Som people wouldnt even consider an mxl mic wen u hav 414s and nuemanns and rode classics, etc at ur disposal. That doesn't happen much though but it happened! Use what u have!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
trollin', trollin', trollin', OP's a goin' trollin'.

I might have to contact the board Admin and see if we can get you banned for this.....

Anyway back on point.. the guy that said you dont capture stuff..

Well I would say that.. what it doesnt capture is really very small.

Also the voice is mainly at the 1 - 3 khz or what ever.. so are you really loosing so much?

For me the peavey sounds just as good as anything else...

sounds great!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
I always preferred Bono's voice on the SM58, live in the control room, rather than the earlier C12 stuff (Unforgettable Fire?).
While any good engineer should be able to make a staggeringly good recording and mix out of an 58, there is more to a microphone than frequency response.
Time respons is probably one of the biggest factors, but also off axis response, etc.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

some people's voices don't sound good on an 87 but awesome on a 57
some people's voices don't sound good on a 57 but awesone on an 87
some people's voices don't sound good on either, but maybe a SM7, 47, etc etc etc.

maybe you just got lucky with your voice without having to spend 2000 on a mic.
Old 3rd January 2011
It also depends on your experience/monitoring.

You can't hear the differences if your playback chain is below par.

You also can't hear the differences based on other people's answers on GS.

Rent a high-ender and judge for yourself.

IMO it is more important to have a wide variety of kinds of mics (dark/bright, ribbon/dynamic, etc) to match the source, than it is to have a "superstar" mic.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
I might have to contact the board Admin and see if we can get you banned for this.....
Good luck with that. Your OP is typical of a trolling post BTW - whether it is or not. Classic example "teenager know-it-all syndrome"-type post - you don't have the experience (yet) to understand why your comments are daft, but you think you do. Yet you admit that you "can never really understand" microphone obsession. Well, that's because you don't really know enough yet.

Quote:
Anyway back on point.. the guy that said you dont capture stuff..

Well I would say that.. what it doesnt capture is really very small.

Also the voice is mainly at the 1 - 3 khz or what ever.. so are you really loosing so much?

For me the peavey sounds just as good as anything else...

sounds great!
If that's what works for you, great. Don't forget that most people think 128kbps MP3s sound fine as well. Out of interest, have you compared your Peavey into whatever preamp/compressor chain you use, to a vintage U87/47/67/Neve/1176 chain? If not, maybe you should do that before thinking you know best..

Once you improve as an engineer, you'll realise what's missing.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru
Does expensive mic really sound any better then Sure sm 58?

Yes. It do.
Old 3rd January 2011
Ok, this is a troll. Thread closed.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search