The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting front inputs to back of patch bay? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Connecting front inputs to back of patch bay?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find an answer in the many threads regarding patch bays.

I have a Presonus Firestudio and some outboard effects that I am planning on wiring into a patch bay. What I am curious about is if I should consider wiring the 8 inputs on the front of the Firestudio into the back of the patch bay or just simply patch those inputs into the front of the bay whenever I need to use them. I'm aware of the dangers of running phantom power through the patch bay, and I have other mic pres that will patch into the firestudio inputs. I'd like to leave these other pres "normalled" into a few of the FS's inputs, I just don't want to leave a "hole" in my rack for feeding the patch cables from the Firestudio's inputs on the front of the rack to the back of patch bay inside the rack.

I'm certain I'm making this more complicated than it really is, I'm just not sure how to best achieve clean and simple connectivity between the interface and the patch bay...
Old 3rd January 2011
It's a bit of a pain having cables run from the front of an interface into the back of a rack, plus, although such a small amount of cable won't make much difference, the shorter the cable, the lesser number of connectors = less noise, less things that can go wrong.

If I were you I'd just patch into the front of it. Take it from a man who had to have a stagebox's flytails hang over his Focusrite Saffire for a long time heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds reasonable -- just wanted to know what others have done in similar situations. Plus it frees up a rack space that would otherwise be used as a loom.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search