The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MP-500NV and API 512C? 500 Series Preamps
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

MP-500NV and API 512C?

I want to make a VP26, but I wondered how is the API 512C ( it maybe included in a future buy)?

I will be buy a lunch box and I wondered how great the MP-500NV really is, compared to other alternatives (like the VP26) because it takes up 2 slots on the lunchbox! Is it worth it?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
I have both...I was only going to buy 1 and after demoing both kept both. The great river is amazing on acoustic guitar and vocals. I love the api but if I had to keep only one for money making reasons and practical use, great river. Those two pres cover much ground for me and feel having both were equally important. You can use even a sm57 with the great river and get some jaw dropping vocals.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

One of my goofs was not getting the 10 slot box, but in my defence I didn't know I was going to love the GR500 so much. It gets the most love followed by Pacifica and api and my Rme pres.

I love the i/o choices with the GR. For big round bass running the input at 12 or 2 o'clock (flatwounds and active EMG's) and the output at 7 or 8 o'clock drives it nice and warm and creamy. It hits the BAC500 and its magic even with little compression. The combo of GR500 and BAC500 on bass is all smiles every time for me.

I use the api to drive a funkier bass di with more mids, less lows, or a punchier, popier sound. I use the api for airier BG vox, E gtr, synths, miced percussion and such.

I got a Pacifica from my sweet wife for Xmas and I already can see it will get a lot of female vocals and Acoustic instruments. I can't say its between the GR and api as far as tones go because it has its own thing going on which is really nice color.

Bottom line, you will love and use any you choose. My friend has a vintech pre I love to use when I am there. I have booked time at a studio with some of the A designs Em pres (blue, gold) and I loved the way they sounded as well.

Get the GR and the api. If only 1 start with the GR and get an api later. They cover a lot of ground. cheers!
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

+1 for the GR if you got the real estate in your rack

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search